The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Postby Fenlason » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:57 am

Well we got the soffit up on the more visible side of the new wall. Other than getting soaked, that went ok. We have the small end yet to do, and another piece for the dirt side… but we went onto other work. I wanted to clean out Laurie's carport.. but my car hauler was in the way.. so I have taken care of that. I took care of my wood trailer while at it. Mean while the rain kept getting heavier and heavier. We did get other stuff taken care of, but I think we are inside for the rest of the day.

We will probably do a BKool ride.. and maybe a leg workout. Otherwise.. take it easy. :D
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Alan Wood » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:52 pm

Interesting rifke Kerry. The rain here seems to have turned to just scattered showers today. Only got about 9 tenths if an inch this storm so far. We need much more. :(
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby caseydog » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:58 pm

Alan Wood wrote:Great to here you have work there :thumbsup: Is this photography or something else?

Yep. Lots of cars to shoot for auctions in Scottsdale in January.

CD
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:31 am

Alan Wood wrote:Interesting rifle Kerry.

Thanks, it is very much like the one I used when I was in the Air Force.

Started to change out my winch cable on the ATV yesterday and can not find the right allen wrench to fit the holding pin in the roller. So, will run by Harbor Freight today and get a couple sets (SAE and Metric). Not sure how it will go with replacing 1/4 inch with 3/16 yet though. :thinking:

Planning to run a bunch of other errands with I am out today. Then finish the winch cable install and hook up the plow to see if I need to work on that any before we get measurable snowfall.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:57 am

Another cold rainy day.. colder than yesterday. Actually more and more people are receiving snow, although nothing right here yet.

I only did a Bkool ride yesterday… no weight workout. I suspect we won't have a ride tonight. Bruce is gone for the winter, and I don't expect Ange to want to go out in this stuff. [cold rainy, dark, and wet slippery trails]

Yesterdays ride was good. It was the shorter ride I did last Wednesday. I wanted to see if last weeks good performance was a fluke, and to see if maybe I could do even better. Last week I didn't do a warm up.. and just got on an rode. After the race I was able to see there were some times just slightly better than I. Can I catch them some of them?

So I did the regular 10 minute warm up. I knew I had "ghosts" of some previous riders.. Bill, and even myself from last week. While in warm up.. some other riders joined in. I got a good jump at the start.. taking the lead, but shortly some guy passed me pretty strong. A few minutes into the ride I caught and passed him, and me made to real effort to try to stay on my wheel. There was some guy from Spain.. that took over 2nd place.. then Bill moved into that spot. Later my ghost from my previous ride took over 2nd. This made it real easy to see how much faster I was doing than that last ride. I knew just a few seconds would move me up in placing.. but 15 would make a bigger difference. I varied from 30 seconds to a minute ahead of my previous ride, and at the finish I was 40 seconds faster. That moved me up from 10th place, up to 3rd. :D

Today might be an errand day.. or at least this morning.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:50 am

Errands done. :D Diesel picked up, as well as more 2-stroke fuel… Groceries.. so fuel for me. I picked up some repair links for my tractor chains [I noticed some breaks yesterday] Laurie's part for her pedals were in, and I fixed that. I also picked up some black iron pipe fittings for the awning I want to build. Lunch.. then maybe some leaf blowing.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:26 am

Got my errands done about 1 yesterday. Did not get everything I was looking for, but got the important things. Finally got the set screw out of the winch, but still have not figured out how I am going to get the 3/16 rope back on with there being only a 1/4 inch starter hole in the winch. :thinking:

Any suggestions would be welcome. :)
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:05 am

I didn't do any leaf blowing yesterday, but I did go out this morning to do a little.

We were a little below freezing this morning. We are supposed to get into the lower 40's.. remain cloudy and breezy.

I did a couple of Bkool rides last night… I was debating to do that last ride again.. to see if I can do it even faster.. but my legs didn't exactly feel fresh. I rode a bit more.. and not easy.. but not killer either.

My last ride I had some robots chasing me.. and I had a real rider.. one that has a higher ranking than I was closing hard.. I kept the pressure on, and toward the end of the ride, I steadily increased the gap. :twisted:

This thing is so addicting. I really want to ride again tonight.. to do both of last night's rides faster… but I really should take a night off.

Porch work today I guess. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:09 pm

Yesterday.. we had no snow here.. but it seemed to be all around us. 4 miles up the road.. there was some. Heading toward the shop, more. I saw cars that had a few inches of snow on them.

Today.. we had some sun.. some fluffy while clouds.. some really dark mean looking stuff.. and wind with temps in the 30's most of the day.

I did do some leaf blowing early. I think worked on the inside of the porch.. and did some work on some new pipe fittings. I cleaned them all, and started painting them.

I just got an email where Bill has seeked his revenge. It actually he has done the ride 3 times. He first beat me by a second.. then a few.. I think his best is 14 seconds faster than I. :o :thumbsup: :lol:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:22 am

I did get my new winch rope in and working. Might just buy a new one in the 1/4" diameter though, just no big rush on that. All of the 3/16" would not fit on so I had to cut it about in half and then I got another hook, a couple of eyes, and some clamps to make the other half into a tow/extension rope that I have in the front storage box now.

I have to work today for a few hours starting about 10. Pretty sure that I sold my lawn vac and with get rid of it today.

It's only 18 degrees this morning but should be sunny with a high in mid to upper 40s. At least the wind has died down finally.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:00 pm

Guess I must've missed a post Kerry. Do I understand correctly that you're replacing a 1/4" cable with a 3/16" cable. If it is same length, the 3/16" should fit no problem as 3/16" is smaller diameter than 1/4". If it's a typo & the new cable is 5/16" that could make quite a difference??
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:18 pm

Kerry.. I hope you vac went today. :worship:

We had temps in the upper 20's this morning. It was the first time our pond had ice on it. It was about half covered. Today was fairly windy, but we had some sun.

I worked on my porch awning today. It's been interesting. I have "brackets" I have made out of black iron pipe fitting. It's made of of inch and quarter size. It fastens to the rake trim on the side of the porch.. and comes down at a fairly steep angle. There is a T on the outer end of the two brackets. I have slide 3 pieces of rebar into it. I also have a vertical support in the middle of it. The rebar mounts in an arc. So the roof will have a curve in it to make the curve of the half "wall" below it. The rebar will have some ripped down PT decking u bolted to it, as well as an angled top, piece of wood fastened on the rake. The section of metal roofing will be fastened to the wood… Angled as steep as it is it should shed snow quite well.

I also did my ride against Bill. I did the same course, but did not do the proper ride, for I had no ghosts to draft off of. So I ended up doing it as a time trial. Some live riders did show up.. 2 of them pretty good. I knew what I needed for an average speed, and time. I took off pretty hard. [maybe too hard] I got a jump on the others.. but quickly one guy caught me.. drafted me a bit.. then tried to go.. I drafted him a little [just a few seconds each] He jumped.. I tried.. and he eventually got away. [I perhaps wasted some energy trying to do this.. I would have been better off staying steadier] About 3/4's of the way into the ride, my average speed started dropping. [although I did have a pretty good cushion]

My pulse was pretty high.. and time wise I was getting close. I had a faster time than the next 2 ahead of me in the rankings, but the guy in my race, beat me by 10 seconds.. so that left me at 3rd in the rankings.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Alan Wood » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:23 pm

Just another day at work here.
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby toypusher » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:35 am

Nobody wrote:Guess I must've missed a post Kerry. Do I understand correctly that you're replacing a 1/4" cable with a 3/16" cable. If it is same length, the 3/16" should fit no problem as 3/16" is smaller diameter than 1/4". If it's a typo & the new cable is 5/16" that could make quite a difference??

My bad :oops: - I am all wrong here. I replaced a 3/16" steel cable with a 1/4" synthetic rope. The rope is way bigger than the cable. I did get it by using a short length of a 16penny nail and put it through the hole in the drum and tighened the screw and then hooked the rope on the sharp end of the nail.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:40 am

I did sell the vac yesterday. :D

Also had to cleanup leaves on one customer that insisted we get every single leaf out of her shrubs. She always complains about the dumbest things . :no: Anyway that took us about 1.5 hours and then we went and mowed a 2 acre lot that had leaves to clean up also. 5 hour day all in all and the last of this year. Oh, yeah, one of the mowers broke about half way through the last job. Good thing ii is the end of the season.
toypusher
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic