Dreaming, building, finished, where ?

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby toypusher » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:26 pm

Jim,

Check my 'www' for build pictures of my Cubby. It will give you an idea of how birch with a natural stain and several coats of polyurethene look.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

planning a build

Postby remarquian » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:21 pm

I started off thinking about doing a Cubbie, but after reading these boards, I've 'realigned' my desires. Now, I'm dreaming of building a 5x10 modernistic. It comes after gutting and redoing a bathroom, so I'm thinking of starting the teardrop in the late fall.

The big stumper for me, is whether to get a bolt together frame or have someone weld me a tube steel frame.

rob
remarquian
Donating Member

Re: planning a build

Postby asianflava » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:33 pm

remarquian wrote:The big stumper for me, is whether to get a bolt together frame or have someone weld me a tube steel frame.

rob

A 5X10 modernistic requires an odd sized frame, I think mine is 5X9. You could make an existing trailer to work but having one custom made is easier in the long run. Although, depending on your location, you might be better off with a bolt together trailer since it is easier to get tags for.

I actually built my body first, then had a frame welded up to fit the body. This worked out for me because the body sitting on the floor of the garage took up less room.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby GeorgeT » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:34 am

I am in Austin, Texas and mine is totally finished. Waitin' on the weather to cool down to do some camping. Only camped out in the yard so far and drove it a couple of times down the highway to make sure it goes where I go. It got home just after we did so all's well. Everything seems to be working pretty much as planned. AC seems to be enough for our heat. Will be going to Texas gathering at Inks Lake end of September which will be the maiden voyage. Lookin' forward to that. :D
Lookin' up in da skize with ize on da prize
http://home.earthlink.net/~g.teague/
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Postby cracker39 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:37 pm

I'm in South Central Florida, where it's just too darned hot to be outside building much during the summer.

I'm also dreaming, schemeing, and building only in my mind. I guess I've built that darn trailer a dozen times so far...mentally that is. I even wake up in the night with ideas to put on paper. By the time I get around to the actual work, I'll have all of the plans engraved indelibly in my weary, overtaxed half a brain.

When will I get around to building it? Well, first, I have a utility shed to build and part of my back sun porch to enclose for a workshop. Simple? NOT. The previous owner poured the concrete porch floor over the septic tank, and I have to have it drained and filled in so that I can connect to the new sewer system. That means I have to have the floor opened up and repoured after the tank is disposed of and the sewer lines are connected. Then, the previous owner didn't pour footers under the floor edges or under the slab for the old utility shed. So, I have to retrofit concrete footers before I can get my plans approved for building permits. Now, the codes say that even a utility shed has to withstand 110 MPH winds in Florida.
What next??? How long will all that building take? Who knows. When it gets cool enough to work outside I suppose.

So I hope to be ready to build my trailer next Spring. How long will it take? Even being retired and able to work most of the day on it (when not working on the honeydo list items), There is still the weather to consider. I guess I'd be lucky to be ready to roll with it a year or more from now.

My model is in the Hall of Fame, but the latest mods to it aren't posted there yet. They can be seen in the thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=4475
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Oklahoma here!

Postby oklahomajewel » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:59 pm

My future teardrop - the BREDBOX .

I'm near Oklahoma City, and have the Kuffel plans , plannning on a 5x8 but need to decide this week on a trailer.
Then get the wood, get the workshop door fixed so I can get the trailer IN and then get going.

When it will actually get done? Don't know... hopefully by October it will be at least driveable/enclosed. I know I will need some help with the electrical setup... Chris??? haha

Julie :lips:
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Woody » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:22 pm

Well let's see Hmmm, I need to finish some details on my first one that has been camping with for over a year. Almost finished with my second (minus hatch and upper galley cabinets) and Now I find myself starting a third one in material piling and design. Now my parents want one for themselves, so now it looks like possibly number four is on the way after the first of the year. I need to figure out when am I going to have time to camp, let alone drink beer, my job might gets in the way of that already :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:58 pm

Woody, Knowing you I think you woukd have come up with the solution. Get a job drinking in a cabinet makers shop. :lol: I've got # 4 all figured out now just have to start gathering materials and clean up my shop to have it ready for spring.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woody » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:32 pm

Alan,
The best of both worlds :thumbsup: . I am going to apply for a Beer tasting tester job. Now that will kill two birds with one stone wouldn't you think. :thinking: Test the taste of Beer and get paid to do it :shock: . What a great country and time we live in! The ultimate job getting paid to do something that I enjoy anyway and would do for free. A new career and with a goal like getting paid to test taste beer and all the while I am making money to buy more beer. :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Bobgorilla » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:26 pm

Still dreaming :( finances seem to be the problem :roll:
if you're not bleeding you're not really working
Bobgorilla
Teardrop Dreamer

Postby WOLFPUPPY » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:26 am

Planning, Hope to pick up the trailer in the next week or two and change
from planning to building. Unless plans change it will be 5x10 Comet.
"THE DAWG HOUSE" :thumbsup:
David
ImageImageImage
WOLFPUPPY
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Chip » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:55 pm

hey wolf,, thars gonna be a few trailers in your upper back yard this coming weekend,, Helen,Ga,, Unless dat Dawg of yours aint to skerred to get that close to big cat country come up and see us,,, :lol: :rofl: :chicken: :drofl: :rofl2:

Oh by the way welcome to the sanity,, most everybody else is insane,,

chipper :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby dguff » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:38 pm

I am a few days away from completion on tear #3. #1 was a Kuffel Creek Cubby, #2 was the restoration of the 46 Kit and the current one has a modenistic profile. My wife and I plan to take the new one on a cross country trip starting in mid September.

Jerome :)
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby WOLFPUPPY » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:43 pm

Hey Chip
Would love to swing by and check out those tears. Maybe we will be able to get up there Saturday and vist with you.

As Far those big cats go, was not aware of any in that area. I do hear that
over at Clemson they have a few kittens. ;) ;)

David
David
ImageImageImage
WOLFPUPPY
Teardrop Advisor

Postby cracker39 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:06 am

Chip wrote:hey wolf,, thars gonna be a few trailers in your upper back yard this coming weekend,, Helen,Ga

Hey Chip,

Where do you stay at Unicoi State Park. It's been over 30 years since I've been in that area, and at that time, the only place to camp that I knew of then was at Andrews Cove, just north of Robertstown. I don't think the state park was there back in the late 60s. Andrews Cove was just a small loop of a dozen campsites just off highway 17. It had a small stream running through the middle that emptied into the Chattahootchie River across the highway. What I remember most was that when you left Robertstown and drove the couple of miles to the cove, the temperature dropped at least 10 degrees. It was like having air conditioning, it was so cool there. The campsites were surrounded by mountains and you didn't see the sun until sometime after 9 AM when it finally rose above the horizon. At that time, Helen didn't have all of the Swiss type buildings, and was just an ordinary small town. Someday, I'll visit and see all the changes.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Previous

Return to Off Topic