Saying Hello!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Saying Hello!

Postby Splash » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:34 pm

I have been lurking for a few days now, trying to soak up as much information as I can. I have a small family (wife and two kids 3 1/2 and 1 1/2) who has taken to tent camping. We thought we'd enjoy moving up to a travel trailer and found the cost was prohibitive and would be unable to tow one with our Subaru Outback SW.

I stumbled across this site and have been drooling since I got here. I am not "handy" by any means and would be very trepiditious to even attempt building my own tear.

I am in love with the 550 Deluxe Camp Inn, but I need to keep costs down until we determine that a teardrop will fit our needs. We found the Little Guy and have been chatting with Dennis T. He has agreed to bring his Little Guy North and meet me to show me his teardrop. OUTSTANDING! I can't wait to take a look and see his teardrop. My wife is anxious to see if this can fit our needs for camping without a monstrous travel trailer.

I really appreciate all the in depth communications, regarding all aspects of tears. I am initially interested in A/C and TV/DVD and seeing if we can modify the Little Guy (with my limited "handyman" abilities) to fit a simple needs.

Thanks again to everyone for the interesting reading and the photos, and a special salute to Dennis T!
Last edited by Splash on Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Splash
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chip » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:13 pm

Splash,,welcome to TD world,,one thing about building a trailer,,its an experience you will not forget and a lot of nail benders have sucessfully built a comfortable camper,,me being one of them,,one question?? are you looking for room for four in side,,if so a typical 4x8 is not gonna work,,there is a well used theory in teardrop construction and design,,its the "tater" theory,,this meaning only 5# of taters can fit in a 5# sack,,four in a 4x8 is gonna make ya sack runneth over,,
there is a whole world of knowledge in this web log and a lot of great folks with most of the answers who can help ya thru every step along the way if ya want to build your own

good luck in your decesion and let us know what you are doing,,,again welcome to the group

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Splash » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:41 pm

No, I had not planned on fitting the whole family in there! I thought along the lines of mixing tent camping with TD camping. We could always use the back of the car in a pinch (if the weather got real bad). But I felt that I could do more camping with a TD with my oldest, and do more outdoors things with him if I had a hard sided trailer.

Thanks again!
Splash aka "Chris"
Splash
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:44 pm

Hi Splash,

Welcome!

I'm glad you'll have a chance to see Dennis's teardrop. You'll quickly get an understanding of the real size of the teardrop. Once you've seen that then you'll be able to make some real decisions! :wink:

You may opt to build a 5' teardrop if you find the 4' one is too tight for you and your spouse or son.

Keep us in the loop and let us know when you see Dennis's teardrop.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BoilermakerFan » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:03 pm

Sounds like Splash will be a candidate for my 511 2+1 Design when I get it finished very shortly.

It will be a 5' x 11' traditionally shaped TD with a "+1" bunk for the older toddler/small child. It is inspired by the Camp-Inn 550Ultra and Andrew's 2+2/Compact 2 designs.

It will have a provision to add a/c or heat, integrated stereo/dvd player, and a beer tap for homebrew will be optional. An expanding roof to raise the interior height to 5' will be an option. There will be more details posted in the Traditional Designs forum later this evening...

No drawings or models yet, still working on the last few concepts.
BoilermakerFan
Teardrop Master

Postby nater104 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:37 pm

I was thinking the "Little Guy" teardrop at first, mainly because of price. But it seems like a lot of the fun is making it, and it seems most people that buy one make there own modifications anyway. So why not try to build one from the bottom up :) You can buy a bolt together HF 4x8 trailer. There is a store up in Dickson City, and I think one down in Allentown.

If you like the Little Guy when you see it, I think there is an RV dealer up near Syracuse that sells them. That might be a little closer than Ohio. There is list of dealers that sell them on the Little Guy webpage.
Nathan -~- In the Lehigh Valley, PA
1966 15' Scotty Gaucho
1973 Apache Ramada
2008 Jayco 19H
nater104
Teardrop Master

Postby Splash » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:33 pm

Well, Thanks to Nathan, he got me some info on the tearjerkers camping excursion this weekend in NJ. I sent an email and got a positive response to come hang out. I have to make some time in my schedule to go visit!

Thanks Nate and I wanted to Thank Todd form Tearjerkers for the open invite!

now, where is that digital camera?????
Splash
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Off Topic