85 Jeep Scarmbler

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

85 Jeep Scarmbler

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:19 pm

Found a decent vehicle at reasonable price> This is like a Jeep with a little longer bed and a removeable short hardtop. Inline 6 cylindar engine. I have no experience with Jeep vehicles having never owned one or had any friends that were into them. . Any input would be appreciated. I really like the look of it and the longer wheelbase is a plus for long road trips. It would be easy to repaint and make it match my tear.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mexican tear » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:25 pm

The Scrambler is the most prized of the short wheel base Jeeps right now. They are the best for the road and they are the best for rock crawling.

I would love to have a scrambler.

Check out this forum http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/post ... djeepshort You may have ro go back a few pages to sign in or find what you want. Before Teardrops this is where I used to spend all of my time. Now my Jeep has a hole in the brake line and the master cylinder needs to be changed. I have all of the parts, however the time is spent working on the "Mexican Tear".

kai
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby David Grason » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:43 am

In stock form, I really like the in line 6 cylinder engine. It doesn't have the horsepower of a V8 but it's no slouch. What it DOES have is loads of torgue down low where you need it for off roading unless you're racing the Baja at over 100mph. (I don't think so.) Also, the actual weight of the engine is less than a V8 and lower in the chassis giving the car better, more friendly manners off road. Yeah, this is only my opinion, but I really LOVE the inline 6.

In 1980, Jeep went from cast iron transmission and transfer cases to aluminum. So if you're going to do any serious off roading, I'd really consider some healthy rock guards for those.

The axles should be Dana 44s which are excellent. Only the real hardcore rock crawling guys go for something more beefy. In stock form the Dana 44 is just superb and plenty beefy for the weekend trekker. There's an absolute ton of high performance goodies for them including air lockers and such. Jeep owners enjoy more aftermarket support than any other automotive group except for maybe the VW guys.

I do love Jeeps. For a fraction of the price, you can do 99% of what a Hummer or Mog can do and some things they can't. Like skinnying between closely spaced trees. That's important here in Tennessee.

Did I mention that I love the inline 6? :P
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiminsav » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:16 pm

man, you need to write a song about that inline 6 and becomes a famous country singer.. 8)
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:49 pm

Quite a few years ago, I bought and restored a 56' Willy's Jeep PU.
I wanted to put a V-8 in it but it just wasn't in the budget back then.
A guy from Redding built me a converter that allowed me to keep the
T-90 transmission with a Chevy 235 straight 6. I sure miss that 56'.
I swapped it for a 74' CJ-5 with a V-8 back in 76'. I could go just about
anywhere I wanted with that CJ, but as far as pulling someone stuck in
the mud or sand, I'd just bury myself. I never failed once getting someone
unstuck with that 56' that had a 235 stright 6.

Postby tdthinker » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:23 pm

My dad has 1 willies jeep and I have had 2. I just sold both of them about 5 or 6 months ago. I dont know about jeeps that much other than the newer versions but I know they are pricey, bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Eric Adams » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:09 am

tdthinker wrote:My dad has 1 willies jeep and I have had 2. I just sold both of them about 5 or 6 months ago. I dont know about jeeps that much other than the newer versions but I know they are pricey, bye

Got a 1947 Willys CJ2A myself... :) Love it... 8)
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby tdthinker » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:51 pm

What I like about them is they never seem to get stuck :thumbsup:
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Eric Adams » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:44 pm

tdthinker wrote:What I like about them is they never seem to get stuck :thumbsup:

Our club has 14+ Willys Jeeps 46-195X yrs range. Everytime someone with a newer (70+) model rides with us we have to pull HIM out. :o :twisted: :D
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Return to Off Topic