Gas in your area.....

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby Lesbest » Tue May 22, 2007 2:51 pm

Filled up this morning at $3.09 and this afternoon was up .10 to 3.19.
I'm still the slowpoke on the road at 70-75mph. The only thing that doesn't pass me is the old lady with the dog in her bicycle basket.

Carpooling is a joke---everyone is driving for "me miles". The volumn of traffic has not been reduced yet, so maybe it will take $5.00 a gallon to slow us down--we'll see!!

Les
Music is like chocolate.......you can't really enjoy it unless the rappers are gone.
Lesbest
The 300 Club

Postby Rick Sheerin » Tue May 22, 2007 3:58 pm

I definateley don't think the oil companies should take all the blame,98%, but not all. A chain of convenience stores in my area are throwing their prices all over the board as if they were trying to set the price for other local stations. Fri a.m. 3.05 a gallon
Fri p.m. 3.19
Sun 3.03
Mon 3.12
Tue 3.06
Wed 3.12
This is while all the other stations stayed at 3.05. Sounds kind of strange doesn't it? Can anyone give me a reason why they are hopscotching their prices?
Last edited by Rick Sheerin on Wed May 23, 2007 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick S
1996 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17ft

Careful with that Axe, Eugene
Rick Sheerin
500 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Tue May 22, 2007 4:14 pm

It just shot up to $3.59 today. Must be a holiday coming or a bunch of crooks need some more money. Can't tell which. :thinking:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Tue May 22, 2007 6:41 pm

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:It just shot up to $3.59 today. Must be a holiday coming or a bunch of crooks need some more money. Can't tell which. :thinking:

...unfortunately, BOTH :cry: :cry: :cry: .......................................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Elumia » Tue May 22, 2007 8:03 pm

Rick,
If the prices are higher in the PM, maybe the station owner knows more people fill up after work and he can make a few more bucks!.

Mark
Elumia
500 Club

Postby caseydog » Wed May 23, 2007 9:52 am

This just in...

Pricey gasoline costs U.S. consumers extra $20 Billion
By Tom Doggett, Tue May 22, 4:59 PM ET

The jump in U.S. gasoline prices this year has so far drained consumers of an extra $20 billion, or about $146 for each passenger car in the country, the Government Accountability Office told Congress on Tuesday.

The national price for regular unleaded gasoline hit a record $3.22 a gallon this week, and is up $1.05 since the beginning of February, according to the Energy Department.

The added expense is taking money away from consumers to spend on other goods and services.

"Spending billions more on gasoline constrains consumers' budgets, leaving less money available for other purchases," GAO's Thomas McCool said in written testimony to a House Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee hearing on the cause of record prices.

Like many other energy experts, McCool said the GAO has found that current high pump costs are the result of a large amount of oil refining capacity being offline, strong gasoline demand and lower fuel inventories.

Many lawmakers blame the lack of competition in the oil industry from mega oil company mergers for the run-up in gasoline prices.

McCool said company mergers in the 1990s caused wholesale gasoline prices to rise during that period, but the agency has not performed modeling on mergers that occurred since 2000 and therefore could not say what the effect has been on current fuel prices.

However, he said, "These mergers would further increase market concentration nationwide since there are now fewer oil companies."

Officials from oil giants Exxon Mobil, Chevron and Shell Oil, along with major oil refiner Valero Energy Corp., were asked to testify at the hearing but declined to appear.

Federal Trade Commission member William Kovacic said his agency was closely monitoring the U.S. gasoline market for any unusual moves in prices.

"Because gasoline consumers typically do not reduce their purchases substantially in response to price increases, they are vulnerable to substantial price increases," he said.

Speaking to reporters before the hearing, he declined to comment on whether the FTC has found any evidence in the current price rise of oil companies overcharging consumers.

However, he said in his written testimony that the FTC was investigating questionable pricing and supply patterns for gasoline and diesel fuel in the Pacific Northwest.

Kovacic said the "lion's share" of the increase in pump prices nationwide appears to be attributable to refinery outages, higher gasoline use and lower fuel imports.

He said the FTC's experience from past investigations and from its current monitoring program shows that unusual movements in gasoline prices "typically have a business-related cause," such as changes in crude oil costs, refinery problems or pipeline disruptions.

Oil companies have pointed out that over 30 prior government investigations into alleged gasoline profiteering has proven the industry did nothing illegal.

Rep. Bart Stupak (news, bio, voting record), the chairman of the subcommittee, said the FTC needs more authority to punish oil companies that gouge drivers at the pump.

A bill he has introduced that would give the agency that authority, which has support from over 120 lawmakers, is scheduled to be voted on Wednesday by the House of Representatives.

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Joseph » Wed May 23, 2007 5:29 pm

Right. We must punish the evil oil companies because gasoline is the one commodity in the world that is exempt from the law of supply and demand. Nonsense.

While oil companies can manipulate the price at the pump to a limited extent by how much or how little they produce, it doesn't alter the law of supply and demand. Given a constant demand, prices go up when supply is low and they go down when supply is up. Given decreasing supply and increasing demand, prices go WAY up. Period, end of story.

Bottom line - if you're not using significantly less gas on an everyday basis, you're part of the problem. I'll cut back significantly when I retire next year, but until then, I'll remain one of the many millions who are part of the problem.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed May 23, 2007 7:42 pm

Joseph, I too plan to retire in January 2008 and I can't wait to work from home (on my own).

Today I wrote our CEO to suggest some gas savings (and cost savings for commuters).

Car pools were the obvious choice but it's hard to coordinate schedules and personalities.

Suggestions were to have a 10 hour day, four days a week. Another was to work from home one day of the week (if it could be done). Both of which would save almost $20 per day.

Any of these things are painless but very hard to change the corporate thinking.
I'll keep trying since it affects me as well as other commuters. :thinking: :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed May 23, 2007 10:07 pm

down to 3:24 a gallon. There was a rumor that Missouri's Attorney General was looking into the price at the pump. Funny when Kansas has .11 cents more per gallon tax (may be more this year) that their gas was cheaper than ours.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Joseph » Thu May 24, 2007 7:34 am

Miriam C. wrote:There was a rumor that Missouri's Attorney General was looking into the price at the pump.

I'm not impressed when politicians look into the price at the pump. It's just another way of grabbing headlines to make people think they're doing something productive. Like the new legislation the US House just passed to make gas price gouging a crime. Big whoop - they've done thirty investigations so far (at what cost to taxpayers?) and come up with squat on price gouging against the oil companies. What we need is to make "tax gouging" a crime.
Funny when Kansas has .11 cents more per gallon tax (may be more this year) that their gas was cheaper than ours.

Not according to the AAA Fuel Gauge Report. As of today regular is 3.53 in Kansas and 3.12 in Missouri.
But obviously there are other factors at play on the local level, probably effecting the individual station owners - property taxes, local city & county taxes, tax breaks if any, labor costs, etc. Many things drive variations in the price at each pump.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Miriam C. » Thu May 24, 2007 9:25 am

Joseph wrote:
Miriam C. wrote:There was a rumor that Missouri's Attorney General was looking into the price at the pump.

I'm not impressed when politicians look into the price at the pump. It's just another way of grabbing headlines to make people think they're doing something productive. Like the new legislation the US House just passed to make gas price gouging a crime. Big whoop - they've done thirty investigations so far (at what cost to taxpayers?) and come up with squat on price gouging against the oil companies. What we need is to make "tax gouging" a crime.
Funny when Kansas has .11 cents more per gallon tax (may be more this year) that their gas was cheaper than ours.

Not according to the AAA Fuel Gauge Report. As of today regular is 3.53 in Kansas and 3.12 in Missouri.
But obviously there are other factors at play on the local level, probably effecting the individual station owners - property taxes, local city & county taxes, tax breaks if any, labor costs, etc. Many things drive variations in the price at each pump.

Joseph

I guess I need to not speak in generalities. The only factor at play was the gouging. I think Kansas gives towns like Galena a tax break so they won't be so much higher than Joplin, but we should never be higher.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Joseph » Thu May 24, 2007 10:17 am

Miriam C. wrote:I guess I need to not speak in generalities. The only factor at play was the gouging. I think Kansas gives towns like Galena a tax break so they won't be so much higher than Joplin, but we should never be higher.

Um... you lost me. If Missouri's prices are in fact lower, where's the evidence of price gouging?

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Miriam C. » Thu May 24, 2007 10:54 am

Joseph wrote:
Miriam C. wrote:I guess I need to not speak in generalities. The only factor at play was the gouging. I think Kansas gives towns like Galena a tax break so they won't be so much higher than Joplin, but we should never be higher.

Um... you lost me. If Missouri's prices are in fact lower, where's the evidence of price gouging?

Joseph

:? it's that woman speak filter you got going there Joseph. Image
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby deputydogrick » Thu May 24, 2007 11:07 am

Time for a "tea party" and i don't mean the drinking kind. one boycott made sense to me. Boycott exxon mobil only, driving those prices down. everyone else will follow suit. Just a thought, media won't help like they did in the 60's they're owned by the oil companys and such now. Smart move on their part. Or maybe we can block the gas stations with teardrops, :twisted: .
Keep it fun, Move at your own pace, Don't get hurt
"Nurture your mind with great thoughts, for you will never go any higher than you think!" Joel Volk
You should never meddle with dragons...............for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
deputydogrick
Lifetime member

Postby caseydog » Thu May 24, 2007 1:21 pm

Joseph wrote:Right. We must punish the evil oil companies because gasoline is the one commodity in the world that is exempt from the law of supply and demand......

I posted the article more for it's position that gas prices are taking a ton of money out of the economy that could be spent on other things. The big question is at what point will gas prices cause a slowdown in our "consumer driven" economy because people start spending less on things other than necessities.

Im paying about fifty bucks to fill the tank on my relatively small car (Audi A4), and that hurts. I've already cut back on other spending. I gotta wonder what others are doing.

Anyone else cutting in other areas to make up for gas expenses?

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic