Women on the board

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby beverlyt » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:44 am

Jan,
Yeah! Can't wait to see your Campinn and glad to hear that Wolfie is going to be traveling in style! :P

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Laredo » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:33 am

You realize you have obligated yourself to post pictures ...
not just of the trailer
but also pictures of the dog, right?

:)

You know what the nicest thing about TD building is?
Seriously.
NO ladders required.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Jan Keller » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:45 pm

I'll have to figure out how to post the pictures first!!! I'm an old timer,
who just got a computer last year!!!

Thanks Bev! Hope to see you, on the road!

Jan
Jan
Camp-Inn 2005
Jan Keller
Teardrop Master

Postby David Grason » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:42 am

AmyH wrote:I am currently building my own tear, welding the chassis and all!! The guys on the board are incredibly supportive, and with their knowledge and advice I know I will do a great job. Since there isn't a guy in my life, I tend to do everything on my own, from remodeling my house to building furniture, etc... I was a sculpture major in undergrad school, and I have built up quite an arsenal of tools over the past ten years. Now I am busy trying to organize the shop, so I can get back to building the tear. I am aiming to get it completed by early summer, so I really have to get going on it soon! As soon as I get started again I will start posting photos.

Amy :)

Amy, I think you really said a lot right here. YOU GO, GIRL!

But here's the deal and you tell me if I'm right or wrong and I'll use my own wife as an example.

When we first met, she was somewhat amused at the projects that I would tie into. To her, they would seem insurmountable. For example, our first place that we rented when we got married, had a terribly ugly fireplace in the main room that rendered one wall virtually useless. I asked the landlord of I could build bookcases on either side and put a mantle over the thing and that would make it all useable. The landlord said sure. But my wife didn't/couldn't really see what I was talking about. For some reason, she's always had a problem seeing potential and I couldn't seem to get my ideas across to her. But, at the time, I was working for a local contractor doing trim and hardwood floors. With the contractor's permission, I rounded up the materials from the dumpster on our jobsite and had the whole thing done in one saturday afternoon. I even extended the bookcases all the way to the ceiling and wrapped the room with crown mold. It looked fabulous after a coat of paint. Both the landlord and my wife were really impressed.

In the years since, she's come to realize that just because she doesn't think something could be done doesn't mean that I can't do it. I really believe that many girls, during their upbringings, are never exposed to these types of ideas and as a result, taking on projects such as a teardrop, are totally foreign. I blame her parents for that. I think that's a real shame. She has 2 brothers who worked on all kinds of projects as kids but she was never encouraged to get involved. But her folks seperated the boys from the girls and never encouraged her in the way that they encouraged her brothers.

Even now, my wife loves to come out and hold things for me or hand me tools, but she doesn't really ever actually do any of the work and I really think that it's a lack of belief in her abilities that holds her back. But I know that she could do it if she just tried.

You, on the other hand, have had enough exposure to these creative ideas that the mental trigger clicked at the right time and you went for it. I'm sure that the sculpturing had a LOT to do with it. I'm proud for you.

Many men feel threatened by this type of feminine self reliance. This is one of the problems. A lot of men, not all by any stretch of the imagination, become very territorial when they see women doing well at traditionally male fields of endeavor. You should rent the old movie: "Heart Like a Wheel." It's the true story of Shirley Muldowney's rise to stardrom in the world of top fuel drag racing. It's a good flic.

I will say this, though. My wife is SUPER supportive. She's excited as she can be about the prospect of using the teardrop and she brags it up EVERWHERE. I LOVE her. She's GREAT!
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby Teardropper Wannabee » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:56 pm

I've got to say I agree with you on this. I would LOVE to build my own Teardrop but I lack the confidence and skill to do it myself. My husband could help me, but he doesn't have the time away from work to do it. I wish I knew someone that could work with me to build one together! Oh well, I saw a Little Guy Trailer over the weekend and I'm thinking that may be the way I have to go!
Teardropper Wannabee
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Lizbeth » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:07 pm

I just joined today. I have come across a trailer that might fit into the teardrop catagory and it might be coming to live with us. So I joined to research the topic. The trailer is totally trashed but the price is right; free.

BTW "Hi!" Alan G.
Lizbeth
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:45 pm

Lizbeth comes to us from a fiberglass trailer forum that I visit infrequently. Clyde and some others can relate to that. Welcome :)
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby AmyH » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:17 pm

David, I do feel fairly lucky in that my parents were really supportive of me wanting to play around with my Dad's tools growing up, and I think I probably used them more than him no less. :lol:
One thing that I have learned, is that it is never too late to teach yourself something new, so if there are any women out there that feel like they don't have the confidence to do this, I know for a fact that you can!! I really think that it is just a matter of really really wanting to do it, because if you really really want to do something, you'll find a way to do it. So women, grab some tools and go for it! Where there's a will there's a way! :thumbsup:

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby toypusher » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:17 pm

Teardropper Wannabee,

Have you talked to Steve Frederick? If you are willing to wait about 4-6 months I should be finished with mine and would consider building another. :thinking:

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby yhgail » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:31 pm

I just found this thread. I bought a Camp-Inn this past fall. Just got in 2 trips before the snow started flying. I really admire anyone who builds a Teardrop, male or female. If I had discovered them a decade or so ago, I might have tried to build one myself. I managed to wreck my left hand a year or so ago, so it was out of the question for me. Also, I am not good at carpentry. I really love the finished look of my CampInn. Something I couldn't create, before or after my hand wreck.

Building a TD is a big project. Hats off to those who complete their TD.:thumbsup:

I may check out the link mentioned earlier with discussions from women who travel with small trailers. It might be nice to hear of other women's experiences camping with small trailers.

There are books by a woman who has traveled alone in an RV for years. Her name is Sharlene Minshall (Charley). She lives in an RV full time. Her daughter sells her books on ebay. I enjoyed reading her traveling tales. I almost bought a motorhome based her inspiration. However, I couldn't find a motorhome that was really what I wanted. In the process of looking, I stumbled onto teardrops on the web. As soon as I saw them, I know my search was over. I had found just the right camping trailer to fit my needs and likes :lady:
Gail
Rochester
yhgail
Teardrop Advisor

Postby OurStuff4You » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:12 am

I'm the one that drags ... errrrr ... encourages my husband to jump into new situations. We bought our first tear on a complete whim because it was too dang cute NOT to buy! I'm afraid trying to build our own would be a test of our marriage tho with all the other projects we have going on. I'm one of the few women I know that received a car engine for her birthday and was THRILLED to get it. :lol: I know I'll be the one that cons .... errrr... convinces my husband that the trailer we eventually buy would be "oh so easy" to fix up if it needs it... :lady: HONEST!

I think the women that are actually building their trailers -- with or without assistance -- are awesome. Power tools are fun -- I wish more women realized it. Now if I could just find a buddy to build a trailer with and leave my husband out of it to preserve our wonderful relationship. Hey honey ... look what I did while you were on that business trip! :lol:

Rhonda
OurStuff4You
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Off Topic