A real bad a**

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby Lizbeth » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:56 pm

Poor kitty.

I have no doubt that a mule could kill a big cat. Yes they do bite, stomp, and fling things. What make me wonder about those pictures is the terrain and time of day.
Lizbeth
Teardrop Advisor

Postby D. Tillery » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:17 pm

Steve J, Spring Branch, old buddy old pal....300 goats hey! Do you get any milk from them? :worship: My wife and I have been driving to Lampassas for goat milk to support our cheesemaking habit! And it's no myth, urban or otherwise, that goat's milk makes great cheese. A stomp-jack is a good, honest way for a mule to earn a living.

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:12 pm

angib wrote:
asianflava wrote:They took every point that the conspiracy theorists came up with and debunked it. It was interesting

Yeah, but those with a pressing need to debunk strike me as being as suspect as the conspiracy theorists - if they think they can explain everything, they can't know very much - the mark of real intelligence is knowing how little you know!

A good online article (though somewhat 'dry' to read) about conspiracy theories is here. I think Lobster magazine in general is rather good.

Andrew

Don't go questioning my intelligence from a one-line post. If you read it correctly, I said it was interesting. I didn't say that I believed it either way.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Laredo » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:15 pm

well, gents and ladies, back in 1987 under my real name I wrote a piece on the Howard County Agricultural Extension Service's early efforts on this. I've got to recreate my portfolio now that I'm doing another job search, so if I can get a clip I'll scan it in for you. Those were my first APwirephoto credits -- it was a bit of a thrill.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby angib » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:12 am

asianflava wrote:Don't go questioning my intelligence from a one-line post. If you read it correctly, I said it was interesting. I didn't say that I believed it either way.

I am sorry to have caused offence - that comment was not directed at you.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:41 am

angib wrote:
asianflava wrote:Don't go questioning my intelligence from a one-line post. If you read it correctly, I said it was interesting. I didn't say that I believed it either way.

I am sorry to have caused offence - that comment was not directed at you.

Andrew

That's cool. 8) I've learned to be really careful in posts and e-mails little things are easily lost. Hence the need for emoticons. :D
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:50 am

D. Tillery wrote:Steve J, Spring Branch, old buddy old pal....300 goats hey! Do you get any milk from them? :worship: My wife and I have been driving to Lampassas for goat milk to support our cheesemaking habit! And it's no myth, urban or otherwise, that goat's milk makes great cheese. A stomp-jack is a good, honest way for a mule to earn a living.

D. Tillery

Yes we do milk a few of the goats. we make cheese and sometimes soap with the milk. There was a few months that my son was drinking nothing but Goat milk when we thought he had a food allergy. Goat milk is one of the best milks around you can use it to bottle feed almost any other animal, we have used it for dogs, cats, and our deer.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby D. Tillery » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:47 am

Steve J, Do you bottle any of it for sale or do I need to come coax the girls myself? It does get scarce around here when the deer breeders/farmers start needing it. And man it tastes good, but I drink too much fattening stuff already.

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby Laredo » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:19 pm

you feed goats' milk to your deer?

now *that* begs to be posted in pictures!
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby D. Tillery » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:48 am

The ranchers who breed and raise deer for hunting will hand feed the fawns with goat's milk. Most of the hunting ranches that sell trophy native and exotic animals have breeding programs. Many ranchers have figured out there can be more money in hunting than raising cows.

Now I hunt a lot, but I know I could not shoot something that has been bottle fed. Or pay a few grand to shoot some pen raised "exotic" that the guide has cornered. But it is big business here in TX.

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby Laredo » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:20 pm

I'm here in Tx too and I frankly know that stinks. Hand raised animals are not wild game, but they do furnish bigger trophies.

There's a new dairy opening 30 miles from me. They pull the calves off the cows after 3 days and turn the cows into the milch herd (before that the milk has to be discarded). They bottle feed the calves an artificial gunk that includes blood from slaughterhouses. They send those calves out to auction at the end of the first week (calves born year-round to keep the dairy op going) or sooner if the truck is leaving.

If you care anything about your own health don't buy non-organic commercial milk, meat or cheese. Prion disease (mad cow) transfers through meat, milk, bone meal and related products. The "safety net" ain't what it used to be in this country, and never was this good anywhere else.
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:41 pm

I started buying organic milk and although it's a bit more expensive, compared to other commercial milk offered in my area... It tastes great and has a way longer shelf life. (I just bought some yesterday and the expiration/sell by date is April 18th)
I buy my beef in bulk and do most of my own cutting, but I haven't quite found a good steady organic beef supplier yet. I try to buy organic when I can, but there are a few places around here that I've crossed off of my list of places to buy beef.

About those ranchers hand raising deer... It just goes to show me what these city executives will do to get a "trophy" on their wall. :thumbdown:

Postby Laredo » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:01 pm

Hijacking of thread continues.

City execs and others too chicken___ to honestly conduct themselves by the rules and etiquette and morals of doing justice to the animal and the hunt should only go suck an egg IMNVHO -- what they do for their trophies is nothing short of sheer cheating. It's not sport; it's not hunting -- it's slaughter, or worse. (Some of these idiots can't be bothered to make sure the animal that ran away bleeding gets found and not left crippled, dying or wasted altogether -- don't get me started on that particular kind of immoral good for nothing laziness, 'cause that's a BIG rant looking for a place to uncork).

:x
Same thing is happening in my beloved sport of women's basketball. This, if anything ever was, is a game intended for style and grace and speed and movement; indeed, in the original rules it is a NONCONTACT sport. It's being turned into something very much else by the creeping thuggery of "physical play".

If you can find it, grass-fed beef is the best thing going.

We now return you to the original thread, with profuse apologies.
Laredo
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Off Topic