Strange weather...

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Strange weather...

Postby Shrug53 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:25 pm

Has anyone noticed that the winter seems especially harsh this year?
I spent the first 38 years of my life living in Los Angeles, and never remember seeing rainfall or flooding, or winds like they have right now.
I saw on the news that a large part of Thousand Oaks, which I used to live near, is completely flooded. I never saw that happen.
Here in Phoenix the new says that the rainfall has been 'unprecedented'.
Seems like every pleace the news talks about is getting more rain, more snow, colder temperatures, than ever before.
Nobody else seems to think much of it, but it sure seems strange to me. Like some kind of huge shift in global weather patterns. Perhaps global warming has finally started to shift us in to a new ice age.
Something is not right though.
Perhaps we are entering another Manuder Minimum period. For those not familiar with the summaries of Maunder on sunspot activity, here is a great article:
http://www.eso.org/gen-fac/libraries/li ... kmanj.html

Comments?
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:39 pm

Oh sure, I'll comment on it. We are living in end times.

Here's just one page that I found on this subject...
http://www.prophecyupdate.com/

I can't remember ever having this much snow in Michigan. It seem as though every day there's another dusting (or more) of snow on the ground, making my drive to work miserable.... Today, for example, there were cars splattered all over the hillsides, and clogging up the ditches... geesh!!!

but look at this list of strange weather and other strange events...

Toll in Philippine Floods Tops 1,000

Israel Hit by Worst Locust Plague Since 1950s

Pink Locusts from North Africa Swarm Through Cairo

Strong Earthquake Strikes Colombia

Massive locust swarm threatens crops in northern Egypt

Hurricane Jeanne Floods Battered Florida

Worst floods in decades hit Dhaka

Japan battered by record number of typhoons

Floods in West Bengal make over 650,000 homeless

Giant storm waves growing

Dazed Floridians Cope After 'Hell of a Storm'

Rain and stormy weather batter UK

Hurricane Alex Floods Homes on North Carolina Island

25 killed in monsoon downpour in western India

Bangladesh: 20 million need food aid

Three Moderate Quakes Shake Turkey

North Korea crops hit by heavy rains

Turkey Earthquake Injures Six People

Disease Spreads Death in Flood-Ravaged South Asia

Alaska Volcano Stirs From 12-Year Slumber

Suicides in Japan Hit Record High in 2003

Drought warning adds to India woe

Ship-sinking monster waves revealed by ESA satellites

Locusts have a field day in starving Africa

Aids reduces African life expectancy to 33

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shrug53 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:56 pm

The last Maunder Minimum caused what is known as a "Little Ice Age" which lasted from the 1500s to the 1800s. This may be happening again, or we may be prolonging the current one.
The actual process of 'global warming' is anything but warm. The amount of contaminants which go in to the air from our industry, combined with volcanos and believe it or not, buildings, will reflect more and more sunlight thereby causing a cooling trend.
The explosion of Mt. Tambora in 1815 led to the year 1816 being called "the year without a summer" across much of Europe.

The eruption of Mt. Pinatubo in 1991 provided a good example of how a large low-latitude eruption can quickly influence global climate. This picture shows how in nine days the sulfur dioxide plume had spread into both hemispheres and around half the planet.

The result was an estimated 1oC global cooling that lasted two years. It is unlikely that a single eruption can cause long-term cooling over hundreds of years such as during the LIA. Robock (1979) has shown that there was an increase in the frequency of large eruptions during the LIA (little ice age) that corresponds quite well with the coolest years during this time period.

So I suppose if mankind is doomed, we are dooming ourselves.

Scary huh?
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Woody » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:37 pm

I guess it is time to put in a heater in the Teardrop :lol: Last time was in 1997 the "El Nino" year. It caused the lows to focus more south than usual causing the weather to be further south than normal. Last time it happened Mid-State Florida was hit with a large amount of Rainy weather and a high number of tornados in the spring. They say it going to be an "El Nino " year this year so look out. Gobal Warming is a theory, It is more climatic change cycle, which explains why one moment Minnesota was a tropical rainforest and other times it was covered with a mile thick sheet of galcial ice. Mankind might be helping along now, but back then our anncestors were still swinging from the branches. A high fiber diet could produce alot of methane, so maybe we did help after all
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby emiller » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:47 pm

:snow It was colder last year this time I think, because I wasn't cold at the Pioneer gathering this weekend like I was last year. Maybe the cloud cover kept it warmer.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby TomS » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:16 pm

mikeschn wrote:Oh sure, I'll comment on it. We are living in end times.

Here's just one page that I found on this subject...
http://www.prophecyupdate.com/

IMHO that's a load of bunk.

Climatic shifts are nothing new. Neither are natural disasters. We only remember the most recent ones. Also, as the World's population increases, more people are affected by these events, particulary in the third-world where the infrastructure is weak to begin with.

Is the climate changing? Sure it is. The climate has been continously changing for as long as the earth has existed. I do believe that we're hastening the process by cutting the rain forests, emitting large quantaties of greenhouse gasses, etc. Everything is inter-related.

Does any of this mean the end of the World is at hand? Hardly.

-----------
Tom "Doubting Thomas" Swenson
[email protected]
www.tomswenson.com
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby David Grason » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:33 am

Woody wrote:I guess it is time to put in a heater in the Teardrop :lol:

.......and maybe some floats on it too. :thinking:

Here in Tennessee, we get rain, rain, rain, rain and more rain during the El Niño phenomenon. Since I'm in the lawncare/landscape business, it's GREAT for me. It keeps all the grass growing and during the rain I get to work on my teardrop.
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby emiller » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:08 am

sunshine would be nice now. Did I hear right that southern california has had 21 inches since november wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :? 8)
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Boodro » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:47 am

WOW 21 inches of rain ! I lived in Texas for 14 years , & in 1989 we had 18 inches of rain in 3 days! :? But to be optimistic about it , now that I live in Ohio , I know that 1 inch of rain equeals 10 inches of SNOW!!! :shock: Just think 210 INCHES OF SNOW! :shock: :shock: :? WWEEEEEEEEE!!
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Chip » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:06 am

Well the winter here is awful so far and today is no better,, can you believe its going to be carolina blue skys and 70 degrees, its just terrible, I cant hardley sleep at night because the frogs have already started singing around tha fish pond in the backyard,, next thing ya know the grass will need cutting,, I hate winter,, It just never seems to stop, Guess I'll just have to plan a winter camping trip just so I can get out of the house

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shrug53 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:08 am

Oh I miss the sound of frogs. I spent a year living in Memphis (a little town called Munford) and we had these tiny little tree frogs, no bigger around than a quarter. That was such a comforting sound.
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Larwyn » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:53 pm

Shrug53 wrote:Oh I miss the sound of frogs. I spent a year living in Memphis (a little town called Munford) and we had these tiny little tree frogs, no bigger around than a quarter. That was such a comforting sound.

The tree frogs win out over the tv and radio daily here in Planterville. Nothing like "live music" (the frogs) and a Guinness to take the edge off the day.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Shrug53 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:08 pm

See that is why I am so anxious to build a trailer and start doing somme camping. I miss the sounds of nature.
I like a few modern conveniences and a tear is just the right step up from tent camping without being a behemoth like a motorhome.
To me that almost defeats the purpose of hitting the open road. Who wants to lug an entire house around with them?
Oh but cooking up some chow chuckwagon style, and then relaxing next to your own snug little den, that's the life!
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Woody » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:18 pm

Shrug53,

Your missing out, it is fun to camp teardrop style. We tent camped for many years and enjoyed it. With the teardrop it is a far cry from tent camping and now I look back and wonder if only I had discovered the teardrop sooner in my life it would have made some decent times a hell of alot better.
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:32 pm

:applause: We DO have fun. Deep Fried Turkey, Smoked Ham, My Smoking Teardrop, putting up with pickle juice. :D
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Off Topic