My first screen capture

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

My first screen capture

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:06 am

Imagine my good fortune.

I've been reading on this board about screen capture programs and while I had a basic understanding of what it was I had no experience with them. Then yesterday our office IT guy comes around and says " your boss wants me to install a screen capture program on all the machines in your department". So, after a five minute video tutorial on "snagit" I have performed and posted my first screen capture.

Forgive me for using this tool to also promote the sale of my aircraft. Discussions on this board have indicated that many members are also aviation buffs. If anyone does want more info then just PM me and I'll send out a full package. :thumbsup:

Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:20 am

Mark,

You don't have to use 'Snagit' or any other program to get screen captures. In Windows, just hit the "Print Screen" button on the upper right side of the keyboard. Then open a program like Word or Powerpoint and do a "Paste". You will get the entire visible screen that was displayed when you hit the "Print Screen". If you need to edit it, just use Paint or Photo Editor to crop the picture.

Kerry

PS: nice airplane!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby subtearanean » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:32 am

And on a Mac just hit Shift-Apple-3 to snap the entire desktop, or Shift-Apple-4 to enable the selection tool.

Bundled with the OS in the Utilities Folder is Grab, a screen capture application with heavier functionality.
subtearanean
Teardrop Master

Postby David Grason » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:39 pm

That looks like a LOT of wing for such a small plane. So will it take off in 1, 2 or 3 lengths of the fuselage? :thumbsup:

Is the stall speed slow enough that you could change a tire without landing?

That's a really cool airplane. Regarding airplanes, I've always had 2 wishes that I just never got to do. #1 Learn to fly and #2 learn in a tail dragger. Now I'm speaking from ignorance here but it always seemed to me that if I learned to fly in a tail dragger, I could easily adapt to a tricycle gear but not necessarily the other way around. When I was about 8 years old, a guy that my dad worked with at the telephone company had a Piper Cub. I got to ride in it on more than one occasion and it was fun to prop the windows (doors or whatever you call them cause the folded up and hooked to the wing) open and lean out at really slow speeds and watch the ground go by. To me that's REAL flying.
Last edited by David Grason on Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:42 pm

yaa, with 36 feet of wing it flys like a kite in a light breeze. :lol:
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby Big Guy with a Little Guy » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:24 pm

That really is a beautiful airplane. With a wingspan like that, I could probably use my back yard for an airport. That is if I had an airplane. Oh, and if I knew how to fly. Details, details...
Big Guy with a Little Guy
Not So Tiny Travel Trailer Dude

Postby TonyCooper » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:13 pm

A long time ago in a land far away I flew for a few years... Picked up my private ticket, multi ticket, and was working on my commercial when I decided to stop. It was a blast but even in the mid 70's it was a very expensive hobby. I stayed primarily with Cessna tri gears.

I had a friend that learned the same time as I and owned an old Piper Cub J3 tail dragger.

In my opinon. it's easier to jump off a 10 story building with a pogo stick and not bounce then to land that thing with without coming back up into the air at least once!

Anyway, my friend went on to fly DC3s on midnight cargo runs out of Love Field in Dallas to Minneapolis area and back. I think he was paid about 15K a year back then. Did it for years and logged 30K hours... ended up losing his family to long hours away from home...

His big break came when he borrowed 10K to get 10 hours in a 737 and his flight ticket. When United's pilots went on strike years ago he crossed the picket line and got a job. Now he's in the capt seat running Denver to LA to Far East (Tokyo) route. He bought a hanger and lives in the upstairs at Love field. Catches a flight to "commute" to Denver to make his run! Piper long gone, now he has a twin engine downstairs...

BTW, he never tells his peers when he hired on!

One more thing, I rode Co-Pilot with him once in the DC3. Sitting still you are HIGH in the air in that cockpit! As the tail lifts the nose drops and you lift off. A great flight...
Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Postby asianflava » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:43 pm

Nuthin like the sound of those "Round Motors"
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:24 pm

Yes, I can understand the thrill of flying in a Piper Cub. I got my first airplane ride sitting on my dads knee in the back seat of a cub with his friend at the stick. My grandfather had his first and only aiplane ride that same day.

Flying is an expensive hobby, maybe more so today, which is the main reason I'm selling the airplane. That and my fear of AIDS.....Aviation Indused Divorse Syndrom :lol:

I reactivated an old yahoo account today and set up a photo album with some more pictures for anyone who might be interesed.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mark_mckeeman/my_photos
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby David Grason » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:07 am

Well, we sure did wreck this thread, didn't we?!

Mark, I enjoyed your photo album. Did you restore the Taylorcraft completely yourself? If so, I don't see any problems with a teardrop or a boat in your future.

Asian, you're absolutely right about the sound of those radial engines. When I was a kid there was a Beech 18 that flew over our house a lot and I got to recognize that sound so well that even now, I can pick out that sound even though seeing a Beech 18 in the air is a very, very rare treat. But speaking of aircraft sounds, there is some fella that has a P-51D Mustang that flys around west Nashville on really nice days. The sound of that Packard Merlin will make me stop in my tracks and look up everytime I hear it.

Yup, flying is certainly a pass time that left us po folks only wishing.
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby purplepickup » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:33 am

asianflava wrote:Nuthin like the sound of those "Round Motors"

'Nothin' like the looks of them either...

Here's some pics I took at an antique plane gathering in Tecumseh, MI.

1928 Stinson

Engine on Stinson

Stinson cockpit

Old Grumman

Grumman engine
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:03 am

Here are some pics that I posted a while back. We happened to be in Vegas when they had an air show at Nellis.
Round Motor vs. V
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:16 am

Yes, I did the total restoration myself over an eight year period. The only thing I didn't do personnaly was sew the upholstery. but I did design the layout and cut the fabric.

I cut my teeth in the industry on round engines working for a corgo outfit out of Toronto. They had Douglas DC4's, DC3's, C177's and half a dozen Beech 18's. There all gone now. Nobody wants to contract an antique fleet I guess, plus the owner of the company was well past retirement when worked there.

I did some contract maintenance for a local guy here in Ottawa that has a beutiful fleet of classic aircraft including a Beech D-17 Staggarwing, A Spitfire, A Harvard and a 1929 Taperwing Waco. I'm not doing that any more either as raising a family and my regular 9-5 job keep me busy enough.

Nice pictures guys, I'd love to get to the Reno air races some day. I've been to Oshkosh a few times but the last trip was in the mid '80's.

:(

Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby TonyCooper » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:05 pm

The Beech D-17 Staggarwing is a work of art. Since we already are off topic, take a peek at these working model aircraft engines. The detail is amazing!

http://www.enginehistory.org/eagle_22.htm

And these radials
http://www.enginehistory.org/model_engines.htm
Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Postby purplepickup » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:43 pm

Tony, those model engines are absolutely awesome! They are hand built....right?
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Off Topic