Bargain thrift Store, yard sale & dumpster diving treasu

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby hotrod » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:10 pm

thats a nice stove mandy :D
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby WarPony » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:17 pm

mandy wrote:It runs nice and has hardly been used...

Mandy, I'm looking at your signature line...................... send this to me and simplify your life, girl :twisted:

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby mandy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:48 pm

Well this weekend I am going to get rid of my junk at the fleamarket so that I can buy more junk to replace it. :roll: :lol:
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:56 pm

my latest find

That's right folks, a cast iron trivet for my Dutch oven, 99 cents!

:D
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:08 pm

Damn! Mandy gets an awesome Coleman stove for $10 and now Cliff finds a cast iron trivet for $.99!! That's it!!!...I'm breaking open the piggy bank and going junkin' this weekend!!
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby madprinter » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:46 pm

I'll have to say I do go to alot of estate sales and junk sales. I brought a Skil Model 100 power planner for $2.00 that needed a cord and a belt. I replaced the cord and tried to find a belt. The local parts store said it was'nt available anymore. Decided to look on Ebay. Found the belt for $20.00, but also found out the planner was worth $400.00- $600.00. So I put it on ebay and it sold for $600.00. Seems the Skil Model 100 is highly sought after by surfboard builders. Guy that purchased it was very pleased and I was too. So if you have one or see one at a junk sale you might want to pick it up.
madprinter
The 300 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:16 am

That's pretty cool! I once picked up an old Royal Typewriter at a Goodwill for $10, and sold it on eBay for $80. I thought that was pretty good!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby bve » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:33 am

I like to surf Kijiji for deals. I picked up this cast iron wood stove with the Blue Nose Schooner on the side for $20.

The leg that is missing has a broken tab that needs to be repaired, but I have it.

For now I have it sitting on a truck brake drum in the back yard, and have been using it outside as a 'fire pit' which is nice since it gives lots of control over the fire, should the wind pick up I can just close it up and contain the fire.

My intention is to eventually tear it down and restore it, the caulking all needs to be replaced and the door handle assembly has loosened up.
Last edited by bve on Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby madprinter » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:25 pm

This is one of my latest finds. Found this dresser for $10.00 at a yard sale.
It had a busted mirror and the veneer was peeling up all over it. I was going to reveneer it , but after I stripped all the old veneer off. i liked the wood. Its a mixture of oak and ?? I sanded it all down and added a coat of pecan stain and some sanding sealer. Then I saw the mirror on craigslist for $25.00 and it was a perfect match. Sanded it and stained it pecan. Total $35.00 and a little work.
madprinter
The 300 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:47 pm

madprinter wrote:Image
This is one of my latest finds. Found this dresser for $10.00 at a yard sale.
It had a busted mirror and the veneer was peeling up all over it. I was going to reveneer it , but after I stripped all the old veneer off. i liked the wood. Its a mixture of oak and ?? I sanded it all down and added a coat of pecan stain and some sanding sealer. Then I saw the mirror on craigslist for $25.00 and it was a perfect match. Sanded it and stained it pecan. Total $35.00 and a little work.

That's a great find!! I love old dressers. It looks like you did a great job with it. :thumbsup:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:26 pm

Very cool, madprinter! :applause:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby azmotoman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:49 am

This is TOO funny. The whole reason we decided on a TD instead of a larger model is: we like to camp, but we are just tired of picking our old bodies up off the ground in the morning. To that end, we decided the 'less is more' attitude shall prevail!

Consequently, I have been selling off 'stuff' on e-Bay all summer. Yeah, we bought a few things to enhance our TD experience, but some of the clutter of our 11 year marriage just has to go. We just dropped off some stuff at Goodwill. ;)
Money isn't everything, but it keeps the kids in touch!
Dinero isn' ¡t todo, pero él mantiene el interés de los niños!
azmotoman
Silver Donating Member

Postby Judeyramone » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:27 am

Once a truck driver for a builder's supply company, I found 2 uphosltered armchairs on the side of the road, set out with the trash. Stained with pet urine, but not smelly, into the truck they went. First upholsterer who gave us an estimate announced they were mid-40s Baker chairs, roughly $1,500/ea to replace. Spent $750 per to reuphoster. (Expletives deleted) ex-wife threatened to litigate during the divorce if I insisted I was entitled to either of them, or I'd post pics.

However, should you visit my "Off Topic" thread about diner booth project, table top was another trash picking find, around the corner from my sister's house. Also, as I type this, I'm sitting at a patio set I got from somebody else's trash, which I then proceeded to then spend $300 to sandblast & repaint, in the backyard, w/Rustoleum. Three years later, it still looks good.

I love garage sales, and other people's trash. Not camping or TD related, but...
Judeyramone
Teardrop Master

Postby steve smoot » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:45 am

We used to do the antique stores and thrift stores...

The wife bought my desk and the chair below at junk stores. She did refinish them, but that was several years ago. They still look pretty nice. I have no clue what she paid for them...

PS: pay no attention to the quilts in the floor beside the chair, these belong to our dogs.

PPS: the red heart shaped pillow under the desk, I know what that cost us...$65,000....that's one of reasons my trailer is not being finished...
Last edited by steve smoot on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby sagebrush » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:52 pm

:lol: I'm glad your dogs are not spoiled :lol: Will
We ain't skeer'd of the dark!

Living large in a small way!
sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic