The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Postby toypusher » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:30 am

Really warm here today 57 degrees now and should hit over 60 today, but turning colder this evening and snow overnight into tomorrow AM. High tomorrow 32 and possible 4 - 6 inches of snow. It will be the first time this winter that we get 1inch or more of snow. :) Not looking forward to it because it will be heavy wet snow and the worst is forecasted for the time that my wife normally leaves for work. :x
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:13 am

We are in the mid teens this morning. We got about 5" of wet snow here. Laurie said the drive into work was horrid. We were supposed to warm up.. but I am not sure now… :thinking: :NC We are supposed to get cold again tomorrow.. and have more snow on the way.

No trail rides until the snow machines get out on it. So back inside.

I did some mending on my neoprene bootie shoe covers [for biking]. I did also get my handles wrapped in paracord. The first one I did, I didn't really like.. so I unwrapped it and redid it. The other 2 came out pretty good. I did the wrapping and then shrunk it, with boiling water. I still need to wax them. I can't find my beeswax. I am not completely sure I still had any. :thinking:

I did some research of pepper spray.. I didn't really know anything about it. Pepper spray vs mace.. and other things I might need to know.

Today.. of course snow removal.. and something for workouts.. I am not sure if it will be just biking.. or biking and a weight workout?
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby toypusher » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:25 am

So nice out today I just had to go to the range. 24 rounds of 9mm and 30 rounds of .223. Did some more fine tuning on sights and they are pretty good now. :) Time for some lunch maybe and then have to vacuum the house. :( :lol:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:00 pm

We finally have some sun. Although they have changed how warm we are to get today.

I got much of the snow clean up done. It is perhaps all I will do today..for we are supposed to get more tomorrow.

Some house chores done.. a little more shoe goo on my booties. I am going to head out and work on my van some. I plan to put that door panel back on. Otherwise clean up.. and maybe some measuring / figuring.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:27 pm

This is what the "hammer" I made looks like. [this one isn't mine]. The handle is 18". I had wanted to make them for a few years. Laurie's harasser prompted a re-look at them. I also came across the 18" nipples and T's in my barn, on hand for another project that didn't pan out.. so it was just a little extra hardware to complete them. I cleaned them up.. and painted them. My wrap runs 8" to 9" up the handle [vs all the way up in the photo] . They of course can be a weapon.. but also a good workout tool. I will eventually [when the snow is gone] make something for a dummy to strike at. Hmm perhaps some tires bolted together in a column, and suspended. I do have a BIG tractor tire for sledge hammer work [a great workout]. I need another smaller tire on a platform that I can swing each of these at like my sledge hammer work [swinging downward]. Having something upright.. to swing at "sideways" would be nice also.

https://3ezfh222wf7f3501pa3arzc0-wpengi ... ns-1-1.jpg
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:27 am

Nice hammer Glenn!

Still snowing, but more on the light side and should be done in an hour or so. Have not been outside, but doubt there is much on the driveway, due to the sun and 60+ degrees yesterday. They say we have about 4 inches, but does not look that way to me. Will wait for it to quit and then do what cleanup there is to be done.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:41 am

Thanks Kerry. I said hammer.. but I did make 2 of them. :twisted:

We have another storm on the way today. They are saying 6" to 12" for our area. This one is supposed to stay cold.. and fluffy.

I did get the panel put back on the van sliding door… and did some cleaning.. mostly of the dash and such. There is a LOT of dash on this vehicle. I also "found" another storage compartment on the top of the passenger side of the dash. I had of course seen the cover.. but I thought it was maybe an air bag spot.. or something like that. Then I saw a little spot I could get my fingers in.. and it was a door that opened with storage underneath… :roll: :oops: :lol:

I am not sure what's up for today. I have to work longer tomorrow, than I was first asked. We have a delivery in the afternoon.. but now we have a service call on the way. There isn't any problem with that, but I was going to do some things in town while there.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:56 pm

I took the garbage out.. and decided to go get some beeswax. It had just started snowing here. Driving to town.. I meet a snow plow… and I wonder why "he" is out????? I get up the road just a couple of miles [between 2 and 3] and wow! what a difference. It was snowing quite heavy.. and the road was covered. :o It wasn't a big deal.. just a dramatic difference from home. I picked up my wax.. and some brushes. By the time I got headed home.. not that long at all… it is almost a white out.

I came across an accident on our road.. someone went off the road and rolled over :o

I got my handles all waxed. It supposedly helps protect the paracord.. and it does give a better feel.. and grip to the handles.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby caseydog » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:01 pm

Sooooooo, are ya' gonna' paint that hammer silver, and change your name to Maxwell? :thinking: :frightened:

It was sunny and 62 today, after a cold night -- 33-degrees. Tomorrow and Saturday have us back in the 70s and 80s. It is time for me to start prepping the yard and garden for spring. My perennial herbs are looking rather ragged, so I may yank them up and start over. I have to do that about every third year.

CD
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:03 am

Silver Hammer :thinking: NO!
:lol: It is satin black with black paracord wrap.

It's not looking anything like summer.. spring.. or anything but winter here. :snow Snow last night [about a foot here] snow tomorrow.. a Big storm coming for Sunday and then more on the horizon for next week.

This morning it is zero degrees and breezy.

It's generally great when Laurie goes into work a couple hours early.. so she then gets out earlier. The bad thing.. when I have to get up at 4:30 to clean up the driveway so she can get to work.

Insomnia and waking up early all the time sort of sucks.. except it does making getting up to clear the driveway a little easier.

It was gorgeous out there this morning though. :) To start with there wasn't even a hint of light to the east, but the moon and stars were incredible… before I got done [for now] the eastern sky was getting brighter.

I did have a great weight workout last night. It does feel good getting stronger again.

I do have that delivery today. hmm I am not sure what else. I do have more snow clean up. I thought I had some errands..and I have some bike work I can do.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:02 am

Yesterday was sunny but did not get above freezing. Today will be mix of sun and clouds but might hit upper 50s. Rain tomorrow.

Went to the doctor yesterday and she said the stress test was all good. :) She did send me to have a chest x-ray yesterday and I will get results sometime next week or the week after when my wife goes in for her appointment. So, don't know what caused the blood pressure problem. At least it has been happening a lot less the last week.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:05 am

Good news so far Kerry. :thumbsup:

We had some sun yesterday.. but our temps never got out of the single digits. It is snowing now.. with 2" to 3" expected today.. then a big storm tomorrow.. into Monday.

Bkool is putting on a series of races through Feb. and March.. for New England bike shops [that sell Bkool]. I was not able to race last week [funeral] but apparently our shop won. :twisted: I am not being notified on this stuff for some reason, but I learned yesterday that the next race is this morning. It's a tough one in Vermont. It's a pass.. or as they call here a gap in a mountain range. We have done it on our motorcycle but have not bicycled it. It is a rather nasty one. It doesn't exactly favor me…. but I hope to give it a go. I haven't felt all that great the past couple of days.. but I need to ride.. and will hopefully try it.

We need to do some snow clean up before this next storm. I have a little more snowblowing to do, but the big task will be cleaning off our deck.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:55 pm

We did the bkool race this morning. I wasn't sure if it would come up.. for we haven't been able to officially sign up… but the race came up in our live rides. [I thought it might be a closed race… with only certain people able to get in]. There weren't many in it. Bill, Laurie, I and someone from Bkool were the only that completed the whole thing. :thinking: :NC :roll: There were others but they dropped out.

The course went over the pass, that I said we have gone over with the motorcycle.. but it went the other way. It was only 7 miles of climbing.. which I am sure is short compared to some of the western passes… but this was steep. This one was also steepest near the top. There were some over 20% stuff. hmm 22+ I think. lots of 16-19 stuff. It was amazing when it would slack off to a 10% grade.. and that felt easy.. :o :lol:

I did not warm up as I should have. So at the begging it was tough… My friend Bill did take it easy on me.. holding back for me until the last pitch. With a long downhill finish.. he wanted to make sure to get ride of me before that.. and that was his easiest and safest place to do it. He was about a minute ahead of me rolling over the top. We stayed within a few seconds either way of that, on the fast 6 miles ][or so ] descent. Someone from Bkool.. appeared to stay back with Laurie.. motivating and pushing her.

It wasn't a great ride for me.. although I guess not a horrible one either. We just had lunch.. and I guess it's time to head outside to work. We need to bring some wood in.. I have a little snowplowing to do.. and then there is that deck. :o
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby caseydog » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:18 am

No snow here today. It was sunny and 86-degrees. Yes, 86. :R

CD
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:33 am

Afternoon, Evening or morning Gentlemen. Just to give yo something to compare, we had 115F on Thursday and its down to 68F today(Sunday)

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:

Yes I still lurk :lol:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic