The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Postby toypusher » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:13 am

Well, Saturday I went for a walk as usual lately and was about 1/2 mile from home and my left knee went out almost completely. I had to hobble back home as best i could and then when my wife got home, she took me to the emergency orthopedics place and they gave me a cortisone shot that helped a lot, but I am still having lots of pain and it will not bend very far at all.

I have to leave in about 45 mins to go to my eye exam. It is of course very bright out today, so that ought to be fun after having my eyes dilated!

Nice machine there Glenn! :thumbsup:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby mary and bob » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:57 am

Glenn, there was a similar snow machine back in the 60's, Bolens Hus-Ski, I rented one for a day way back then. You can find pictures online
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby Fenlason » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:54 am

mary and bob wrote:Glenn, there was a similar snow machine back in the 60's, Bolens Hus-Ski, I rented one for a day way back then. You can find pictures online

Thanks.. I did not previously know of the Hus-ski [I had seen them recently online.. researching these things..] Back in the times of the Hus ski, Bolens also had the Diablo Rouge… that I was quite familiar with. Back in the 60's and early 70's I did snowmobile,and one of our neighbors had a Diablo Rouge. This snow dog is much smaller than those, they have been big in Russia all along.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby toypusher » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:59 am

Not going to be a warm today, but still great for this time of year. High about 50 and partly sunny. Going to the range this afternoon I think. Mark is supposed to come over, but he changes his plans frequently. Might go anyway, not sure at this point.

Still having problems with the knee. I can walk (carefully) on it, but still not good. Looking for a new doctor, I can't get into see mine for 3 weeks. :roll: My BIL is a nurse and is supposed to be checking to see who is the best 'knee' doctor in this area.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:38 pm

Kerry.. I hope your knee is getting better… or gets better.

We were colder last night.. but have warmed to maybe 30.. with fairly good sun. Yesterday Laurie suggested it might be good riding this morning. Sooo. I decided to go for a ride. The snow was crunch slow.. but very rideable. The snowmobiles had been on it will warm and… so little balls of snow were spun up.. and that froze. So it was crunchy.. had hard to go fast.. but otherwise not bad.

I had a bit of other things I wanted to do today.. but I am guess just chores will keep me busy more of the rest of the day.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby caseydog » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:16 am

Hello threadies! :D

No snow here. It was 76 today, but with a gentle North wind to make it very pleasant to take psycho-poodle for a good walk.

They are predicting 80 for Wednesday, and 84 for Thursday, then a "cold front" rolls in, and we have 68 on Friday and (gasp) 55 on Saturday. I better stock up on food, bottled water and batteries before the weekend. :frightened:

My biggest customer called me yesterday, and told me to get my suitcase ready. It looks like I have Houston, San Antonio, San Jose and Kansas coming up. Oh, and Fort Worth, but that's easy -- I shoot a lot of that guy's cars, and we have a great working relationship. Same with the San Jose car owner. I know there will be more cars, in more cities, but I can't shoot them until they are under contract with the auction company, and that always happens at the last possible minute.

CD
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mandy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:56 am

Ello Everybody,
Ouch Kerry I hope your knee it feeling better. Glenn hows that snow sled thing going? And hello other Glen.
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:36 pm

CD.. it sounds like you have some work coming your way. :D

We had someone "put out a ride".. or asked if anyone was interested in a ride this morning.. at 6:00 am. Some others had committed to it, so the ride was a go. I waited.. to see. I was wide awake.. or semi wide awake at 4:00 am.. so I decided to get ready. The temps were in the upper 20's.. so quite comfortable. One of the reasons of going so early.. was to ride while it was still cold enough. If it gets too warm the snow gets soft. It also worked for some for they could go before work.

It was rather dark when we rolled out. I guess I wasn't thinking about that.. for I had no light with me. :NC :roll: :oops: There were some very heavy dark clouds to the east.. otherwise it would have been fairly semi light.

There were 4 of riding.. a good group. It was quite scenic in places. Although I felt rather dead… I had nothing. I am not sure what's wrong. Perhaps that "hike" in the snow.. took more out of me than I thought. :thinking: I did ride fairly hard Monday and Tuesday.

Mandy.. I have been working with the sled some. I have been on it 3 times.. and each time it has gone a little better… although things are far from "perfect" with it yet. That last batch of snow was pretty extreme.. so there is still hope.. :worship:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby caseydog » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:01 am

mandy wrote:Ello Everybody,
Ouch Kerry I hope your knee it feeling better. Glenn hows that snow sled thing going? And hello other Glen.

DOH! I am also a Glenn, with two Ns. :x :D

CD
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:16 am

We hit 86 today. Looks similar for tomorrow. I am ready to start planting and working in the yard, but it is too early to safely plant, and my yard is still dormant. I sit on my patio, and think about things I want to do, but know I can't do them, yet. Grrrrr! :x

I have two small fences that need to be replaced. One has fallen down completely. I've told my two neighbors that I will build the fences, if they split the cost of materials, which is really small. I also asked my neighbor with the full-size SUV to go with me to buy the supplies. He keeps putting it off. I am NOT bringing this stuff home in my MINI Cooper -- and doing all the work, and paying for it all, too. People in the burbs can be so lazy -- and cheap.

CD
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:15 am

We started in the lower 30's yesterday, and are there again today. We warmed up around 50 yesterday. We had some sun, I am not sure what is expected for today.

We still have a lot of snow, but things are melting.

I did try out my Snowdog again. We had a tree down on a nearby trail. I did get there successfully and cut and removed the tree. I went back to the house, and unload ed the saw, and extra clothes, and headed out to try another trail. I went straight up our main trail, up the big hill. It did successfully make it up that, and around the loop. Going around the loop I had a few "problems". It will be going along really well, and then just veer off somewhere. The snow was wet and heavy.. and it will occasionally hit an inconsistency in the snow.. and start to lean. When it leans it wants to go that way. In heavy wet snow once it starts to lean, it is hard to physically "pull it back". So I either have to get off and pull the back end around, or from the middle of the machine I can make it lean back over the other way to turn it back to the trail.

I then started working on our outside porch. I am going to make some wind block screens out of luan. The outside bench as a fairly open back. I am mounting a threaded insert into the back of the bench, then I can easily install and remove seasonally the panels. There is a 28" or so gap between the top of the bench back and the ceiling, I will also make panels for there. I might also make something for over the "bar". I am not sure yet.

I am helping with a delivery for work this morning.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:50 pm

We had a modification made to our dolly at work. We had something made so we could put treadmills on "sideways". Today was our first day to use it, and man was it nice. It was a tight entrance.. tight steps from the garage to the house.. narrow door narrow hallways. The dolly fix was a life saver. Actually the tower part had to go in through a window. :shock: We could not get in either doorway. The home owner suggested a the window. It was easily accessible.. and while the opening wasn't all that tall.. it was wide enough.

I am not feeling all that great.. but I am not sure what's up. I have a pinched nerve in my neck that is a bit of a pain.. but I kind of hurt all over.. and just feel rather yuck.. not really sick.. but not great. I actually fell asleep on the couch this afternoon. Just a little nap..

We did have our Bkool shop race series tonight. I wasn't expecting much.. but by just finishing the ride.. we earn points for the shop. I did something for an fairly easy 6 or so mile ride ahead of time for a warm up. Our race was a circuit.. 5 laps of a race from Marblehead Ma. I didn't start off all that good.. but I worked my way up to 2nd.. [not including one ghost who beat me].

My back / neck actually felt a little better after the ride.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:23 am

mandy wrote:Ello Everybody,

Thanks, Mandy. It is a bit better, but still only to a certain point and now is not really improving. I have an appointment in 3 weeks, but may have to go back to the emergency orthopedics place for another shot or something. Have to see how it goes.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:26 am

It has been in the mid 70's the last two days here. About 60 now and that is going to change by mid afternoon when a cold front and rain come through. Back to the real world of weather again it looks like. :lol:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:33 pm

Good morning. :D :NC actually it's evening. We have had warmish.. it got up into the 40's.. but was cloudy and misty. We did some work on the porch. We did more work on our winter panels… working on the upper section above the bench. I got the panels cut out, and installed pine trim around the edges and installed the threaded inserts where I need them. Next up is staining… but awaiting a sunny day so I can work on the upper sun room. :)
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic