The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Postby Alan Wood » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:06 pm

It was cold here this morning. So cold I had to use an ice scraper on not just the windshield before driving in to work.
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby toypusher » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:24 am

Morning! 29 degrees but should hit low 40s today. Might get some snow showers today, but nothing much. My landlord stopped by last evening on his way home to show us the 12-point buck he shot yesterday morning. Very nice deer!

Have some minor things to work on around the house that I might get to today. Going to run out to the golf course I think and drop off some cookies for the guys. Also want to get some more work done out in the detached garage today if I can.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:32 am

We are at around 27 this morning. Although we are supposed to start getting a bit colder… starting tomorrow I think. Today.. I hope to work on the firewood pile. We also got in some deck curtains.. that I hope to put up.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Alan Wood » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:15 pm

Well the weather guessers were right here. It was raining but not nearly as cold as yesrerday morning. Been sprinkling most of the day.
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby toypusher » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:30 am

:snow NO, not snowing, but cold this morning. 25 degrees and feels like 14. Wind chills gonna be in the 20s most of the day today and maybe some flurries this evening. Not sure what I am doing today, but it will be indoors. Although I have to take the trash and recycle out in a few minutes. It's about 150 feet to the street. :frightened:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:35 am

We are in the lower 20's this morning. It looks like it might be fairly clear [it's not all that light yet]. I got a few things done yesterday. I fixed the door gasket to our wood stove. [I have to pick up stuff for it first]. I also put the deck curtains up. I did go out and pick up stuff for that. Materials for the rods, and stuff to weight them down some. We have red, white and blue theme going on, on the deck. The curtains.. one red and white stripe, and two of them that are blue and white striped. Unfortunately the color is only on one side. The curtains are supposed to be otherwise identical.. but they are sew differently. They have a decent sized hem at the bottom. The red one is open so I can slide weights in.. the blue ones are sewed closed. :roll: I had purchased fairly big washers. I taped 2 together.. poked a hole through the center of the tape.. slide them in, then put a few stitches through the center to hold them there. For now I just put the blue ones out with out the weights.

I also stacked all the wood I had brought into the instant garage. I do still have more outside to bring in. So far that snow we got the first of the week, hasn't melted all that much.

We are supposed to have a cold weekend, it is supposed to cool off today vs warming up.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:52 am

We did have some more good BKool rides last night. Bill and I have a couple of rides now that we are beating each other up on. hmm I think 3 now. Yesterday, we started with me having the fastest on 2.. he had one. He took one of them back, from me, while I took a couple back from him. Our primary one… I think I only beat him by 4 seconds. It's getting fast enough now… it's a LOT of work to move up. I took 18 seconds off my last time. It's a fairly short race.. a little over 6 miles I think. Previously I have been time trailing it. This time I tried drafting his previous ride. The first part of the race is pretty herky jerky… That is of course harder to do than stay steady.. I decided to try to take off [early] and time trial it in.. and Bill started to catch me. I wasn't sure I could stay away.. so I let him catch me so I could rest behind him a moment. I then tried to get away.. and many was it work.

I am going to try to re-do the ride.. and ride the first half quite fast.. but steady… faster than what I can do for the whole ride. I then can set that me, as a ghost… and draft myself before taking off. :twisted:

We are in second and third.. and there is someone else that is still 29 seconds ahead of us.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:43 pm

I guess I worked most of the day on fire wood. Putting more in our instant garage.. and I hauled a couple of loads up to Lee.

We did do another ride tonight.. I was looking at another active recovery ride again. I decided to work on my cadence [pedal speed] while doing it. I ended up doing that too much… so it probably wasn't as much of a recovery ride as I wanted.

My average cadence was 111. I kept the resistance low.. just shifting up on the downhills to feel some resistance at my feet. [it's actually easier to pedal fast with some pressure there] In doing this.. my power numbers were higher than what would be considered a recovery ride. Interestingly I beat Bill's time in this ride. I didn't even know he had done it. Actually I am the fastest of the 43 riders in the world that are 60 or older that have done it… and 37th out of the 523 of any age that has done it.
I can't wait now to ride it again, and try to go fast. :twisted:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Alan Wood » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:27 pm

It's a warm rainy day here today. Not much planned other than playing with my raspberry pi 3 computer.
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:46 pm

We had 10 degrees this morning.. and breezy. I sort of wanted to head out to the woods for a little trail work, but we still had firewood to take care of.. so we stayed and worked on that.

We did finally get that done. It's all in the shelter.. and my excavator is put away.

I was hoping to bike today [bkool] but I was kind of sore this morning.. and again being cautious of doing too much too soon.. have chosen to take it off.

We have dinner out with our munchies group tonight…. but right now I think I am heading down to the sauna. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:55 am

It was 22 degrees this morning when i got up at 5, but it is up to about 26 now. We had some snow flurries and the grass, etc. has a light coating on it. Tonight it is to get warmer overnight and rain starting around midnight and lasting into the morning tomorrow. Should hit low 40s tomorrow and Tuesday. Wrapping presents today! :)
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:37 pm

We were down into the upper single digits this morning. We got out for some trail work this morning. It sounds like we have some significant snow on the way tomorrow.. so we wanted to get some more trail work in while we could. We were out for about 4 hours. We started with some down stuff.. then headed to a trail we had roughed out some time ago. [prior to this season]. We had some small saplings to take care of.. some pruning and some down trees to clean up.

It still needs to be string trimmed..and have some "chicken neck" stumps taken out. Oh… and it will need something for a bridge or something.

This will be a pretty tough trail. In some places it is pretty rocky.. and other places it might be damp.

We did also scout and area where we want another shortish trail.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Alan Wood » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:48 pm

Spent the day playing with a different OS on my raspbrry PI. Slackware on it is harder to set up than anything I have dealt with in years. But it was a warm dry day
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:36 am

Good morning. We are in the low 20's today with snow. We have a couple of inches of new snow, and a total of around 9" forecasted.

I had hoped to beat the snow and get out and flag that trail we looked at yesterday. With it flagged.. and not too much snow.. we could still drive to it, and rough it out. I need to be able to see the ground.. for flagging some of it. I am not sure how it is right now. :thinking:

It's not a big deal either way. I might head out and take a look anyways.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:28 pm

I did head out to the woods.. it was quite beautiful out. I did flag the trail.. the far side of the brook.. I am not positive on.. for the snow did hide some things. Although it did help looking at it yesterday.

While out there I decided to do some work on it. I worked from this end of it, out.. for that area, I am pretty sure on. I knew "exactly" where I wanted to branch off an existing trail. I have a trail working it's way down toward the brook from there. Where I have chosen to cross the brook..it is a fair distant across.. and one side is fairly high up. Part of it will be fairly steep. I will still scout around come spring, but I don't know if there are any other crossing points that are better.

Overall I think it will be ok. It will take more of a bridge.. which will be more work and money.. The steepness? I have steeper stuff, so it will be climbable..[by some] but it is easy enough to use the trail more often downhill vs up. Having the bridge itself fairly steep is more of a problem. I could build up the low end some.. which might be a good idea for spring water flows.. and may have to do something for traction.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic