Hurricaine Relief, Been There, Need Help

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Hurricaine Relief, Been There, Need Help

Postby D. Tillery » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:06 am

I just spent 17 hours at the Kelly AFB evacuee processing center and shelter in San Antonio. Headcount (# on wristband) is about 12,000 in 4 locations and growing. I'm tired and a bit shellshocked. I'll describe it more later when I'm rested if anyone cares to hear it because you aren't seeing this on TV. Until then I can only say to go help in some way somewhere.

The Red Cross needs you more than your money. Deliver easily edible and dispersable food directly to the shelters. People still need clothing and blankets, toiletries, transportation as supplies at our shelter were running low.

Anyway, what more can I say. I don't know any more ways to ask. Please do what you can.

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:19 pm

...D, thanks from us here in La. You're having problems coping with 12,000+ in a city the size of SA, here in Alexandria/Pineville(pop.50,000) and the surrounding areas(another 50,000) we have taken in 20,000+- refugees and have in processed no telling how many more who are going to Dallas and beyond. Every community north of N.O. has been taking refugees, here locally, the fairgrounds/coliseum are headquarters for Salvation Army/ Red Cross and being filled with evacuees, local schools, empty businesses (old Wall-Mart building ect) 4H and other summer camps, chuches and personal homes are being used.
There are over a million refugees and the communities that have taken them in are in need of help...help that will last a year or more.
If you have made a donation...thank you, can you make another? It is needed. If there is a drive for relief supplies, give of your time and talents. If there is a reugee center in your area, bring yourself, bring packaged prepared foods, bring toiletries, bring toys, bring hope and cheerfulness

Please help in any way you can and then help again...Thank You

Jack
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby D. Tillery » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:57 pm

Jack,
After what I saw here last night, I can't imagine what y'all are going through down there in my worst nightmare.

We have to keep the people moving out and the supplies moving in.

I'm looking at a map. What's happening out there Albuquerque, Denver, Kansas? How about you Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Omaha, Des Moins? This is going to affect y'all one way or another, sooner or later. Figure out how to help absorb some of this if you are not already.

Still need clothing (no way to wash it so we are running through it quickly), food, drinks, toiletries, blankets, sheets, pillows, office supplies, transportation, rides, computers/internet/IT/data entry (people can't find each other), people to just sit and watch an elderly or sick person lay in their cot so they don't wander off, Volunteers at odd-times (this is a 24hr operation), medical staff specializing in wound care, nursery/infant care (hold a baby while mom showers). Damn, I can't believe how long that list got and by no way complete.

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby nubwon » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:35 pm

JUst a note to everyone on this forum..... Ask everyone you know if they've given, if not, ask them to give. And when we've all given untill it hurts....give some more, because no matter how much it hurts......it does not even come close to the hurt the people of New Orleans have been forced into.......NUB...
If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff...
nubwon
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:47 pm

Correct me if I am wrong... but with 70+ countries donating money... couldn't we do better donating our time? If we are one of the neighboring states, I'll bet there things we could do...

MadJack and D. Tillery have already suggested some ideas. Here's another one for you...

One of the things I've heard is when people are finally fed and watered, they look for comfort. How can you comfort them? How about comfort food? Something sweet? Something salty? What if someone passed out a bunch of chocolate chip cookies? Or bags of potato chips? I know it doesn't sound like much, but it is comfort food!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:35 pm

...Mike that is a good idea and alotta what I have been doing the last 2 days, as busses would come into the hospital on their way to Dallas and other communities they would stop here and we would givem a hot meal, check on their med needs and rest 'em up for the rest of their journey. Handing a cold drink and a bag of cookies to a child who has had their world turned upside down and seeing the smile come out is worth the effort. These children also have no toys or other play things. I just came from an old Wall-Mart building being used as a refugee center and some one had shown up with a couple of old portable basketball goals and some balls....games had been going on since they were set up in the parking lot, giving the lost something to do besides fret about the future...
There are a zillion ways to help, so please find someway and doit
Thanks to all who have openned their hearts and helped

Jack
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bledsoe3 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:00 am

D. Tillery wrote:I'm looking at a map. What's happening out there Albuquerque, Denver, Kansas? How about you Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Omaha, Des Moins? This is going to affect y'all one way or another, sooner or later. D. Tillery

We're expecting 1000 all the way up here in Portland OR. I like the idea of providing some comfort.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby s4son » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:45 am

D. Tillery wrote:Jack,
I'm looking at a map. What's happening out there Albuquerque, Denver, Kansas? How about you Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Omaha, Des Moins?
D. Tillery

Here are some links to what's being done in the Kansas City Missouri area if your interested. I think these things are being reported locally but not nationally. I'm sure these initiatives are being taken all over the country. For all of the bad press the USA receives those of us that live here know what this country and the people that live here are made of. We are tough, the folks in N.O. will make it through this. We put aside our differences and help each other when necessary. The rest of us will help the folks in LA.

Scott F.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/12563504.htm?source=yahoodist&content=ksc_news

http://news.yahoo.com/s/kmbc/20050903/lo_kmbc/2916447

http://news.yahoo.com/s/kmbc/20050905/lo_kmbc/2916692

http://news.yahoo.com/s/kmbc/20050905/lo_kmbc/2918702
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby s4son » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:58 am

I now read where the Times-Picayune is calling for President Bush to fire all the members of FEMA. While I don't argue that their response left alot to be desired, don't the local politicians share some of the blame for this mess? They had just as much notice of the hurricane as anyone else. If they knew the Super Dome was going to be used as a safe haven shouldn't they have made sure the essentials were in place? I for one, am tired of everyone pointing the finger and not taking any responsibility.

Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby Jiminsav » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:26 pm

OK..i'm about to get flamed for this, but I have to say it...the federal government is not in business to come to everyones aid in times of need..they come to peoples aid at the request of the STATE government.
this country is set up as a colaberation of STATES, with a central federal government to take care of things that all states need..protection and central laws for all to abide by, although STATES can and do Add to laws, but can not take away, except in california in cases of dope for medicine..they just ignore that law, but anyways..the FEDERAL government is in existence to assist STATES..not the other way around..so it was the responceability of the STATE government to come to the aid of their citizens..and i don't hear anyone bitching that the governor of louisianna and mississippi didn't respond fast enough..from what i saw, they didn't respond at all till the waves rolled ashore..so if your gonna bitch about response from government..the damn governors should have their feet held to the fire for allowing the breakdown of law and order and not having the resources to handle a hurrican, which, in all of my 43 years, the news said was bound to hit new orleans eventually.

in case you haven't noticed, i'm PO'd about the whole deal down there and the news and everyone getting on George's ass for something he had no control over in the first place.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:26 am

It's obvious that the Mayor made a mistake, The Governor of LA made a mistake and I'm sure that putting FEMA and Homeland Security under one roof will be looked at, but right now is the time to help. This disaster is going to affect every American.

Postby madjack » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:05 am

...Jim, the first part of your post I agree with totally...the second part comes from ignorance of the facts so I won't flame you for it.
Mayor Nagin should probably be slow roasted, I can't speak for the Gov of Mississippi but I will for Gov Blanco. On Fri, Sat, Sun, she pulled out all thestops and was prepared...then FEMA and more importantly the true villians showed...Dept of Homeland Security(excuse me while I wash my mouthout).
DHS showed up and told EVERYONE...Hi we're from the goverment and we are here to help you. This is our show and we will take care of all your problems...unfortunately we believed them. When the Governor asked about evacuating the people(on Mon. evening), DHS, said don't worry we have a fleet of 500 buses, they said the same thing on Tuesday...they're on the way, They said the same thing on Wednesday...don't worry they are on the way. When they didn't show up Wednesday, the Gov commandered all state school buses and their drivers and directed them to the area.
When DHS couldn't provide the buses on Tuesday, the Gov said, well lets send in the supplies we have sitting on the ground waiting to go in, DHS, said OK we will send 'em right in...as soon as we get 'em organized. Apparently unable to "organize" DHS and FEMA left the supplies to sit...about 10 miles from the Superdome until General Honore showed up on Wednesday and said WTF, and some Colonel, said well sir, DHS won't approve their movement...The Gen said load 'em up and have 'em in there in the morning or be shuffling supplies in Greenland...and they went in.
There is plenty of blame to go around...the press for reporting on a war zone(that didn't exist) that had DHS scared of their own shadow.
Mayor Nagin should have stayed on the ground in N.O. and directed police personel from there instead of sending half them out on the initial evac(along with himself).
Everyone in the know, knew the levies would not hold and that a mass evactuation was inevitable. An evacuation that was ordered and promptly ignored by 1% of the people for whatever reason...that 1% is the faces we have seen at the Dome and Convention center. The Super dome was designated as a shelter of LAST RESORT as was the Convention center because they were on the highest ground available. The Dome had supplies for 3 days for 25,000 people...the people who ignored the warnings, started showing up on Sunday...a day early, which meant by tuesday, they were running out of supplies...there were no emergency supplies at the Convention center worth note which is question for Nagin to answer.
Mayor Nagin is directly resposible for those 2 occurences and what happened at the hospitals in the area which was inexcusable.
DHS, which I thought was a bad idea when Georgie peoposed it, is responsible for all of the bad stuff that happened after Monday afternoon, proving what a hot air, stuffed shirt bureaucracy they are...wake up people this is the group that is supposed to be protecting us.
Remember that armchair quaterbacking on the day after is always easy and hindsight is always 20/20

Jack :x

p.s. as to the Governors of La & Ms doing nothing untill the "waves washed in" is incorrect...both Governors had declared a State of Emergency on Sunday...Which is why DHS and FEMA were on site (Baton Rouge/Jackson) Monday and claiming to be in charge...as far Goergie goes, well DHS is his(and the troika's)brainchild...as Harry Truman said "the buck stops here"
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Jiminsav » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:11 am

Jack..I just had to vent..your right, there is plenty of blame to go around, and I didn't know that homeland security was there..oh well.
God bless the poor people that survived.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:42 am

...no prob there Jim. One of the things I have been doing is to try and seperate the truth from the innuendo and rumor...not very easy and hey who knows, I may be all wet :D

Jack
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:09 am

Madjack, I get the feeling there is nothing "wet" about your opinions at all. I, for one, have appreciated hearing your "slant" on things. Watching the media is like watching a circus. You are there.............on the spot..........and seem to know what is going on.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Next

Return to Off Topic