Hurricaine Relief, Been There, Need Help

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby purplepickup » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:38 am

Madjack, I also appreciate your posts. You've managed to keep a realistic perspective on all this that many can't seem to do. Too many people are using this to promote their own agendas.

I thank God that there are people like you, D.Tillery, and all the others that are in some way giving hands on support without wasting time saying what should or should not have happened. What happened, happened and now it has to be dealt with. There are plenty of homeland security issues to deal with later but right now I really like the "take charge" approach of General Honore.....lets just git er done!

I live close to Fort Custer in SW Michigan and we are just now getting the first flights of Katrina victims. There are a lot of unused military barracks that have been filled with supplies and bedding to provide temporary shelter. My mom and volunteers from our church and others are out there welcoming them with homemade cookies, pies and hospitality. We're only expecting around 1500 people but I'm sure it will help ease the pain a little. It's still terrible for them to have lost everything they had.

Thanks again!
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby s4son » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:04 pm

"purplepickup"
Madjack, I also appreciate your posts. You've managed to keep a realistic perspective on all this that many can't seem to do. Too many people are using this to promote their own agendas.

I agree completely. I feel like I am getting much more accurate information here than on the news. Thank you Madjack and all the others down south, not only for helping your neighbors, but also for your unbiased information.

Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby D. Tillery » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:18 pm

I saw no representatives from FEMA at the Kelly Shelter. Thank God. That's all we needed was for them to come in and take over!

They probably thought they would be asked to deliver those "vouchers" they had been promising and many were asking for.

The Red Cross continues to need your help, physically, at the shelters.

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby IraRat » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:56 pm

I think the events of the last few days--Bush and everyone ELSE realizing this whole thing was screwed up from the get-go--kind of puts the kabash on laying most of the blame on the victims, on local government, on relief not being able to "get in."

And as much as some above posters want to cry, "They're complaining about Bush because they have their on political agenda!"...the facts are pretty clear:

This incredible "Homeland Security" apparatus assembled by this administration, at the expense of civil rights and all common sense, is a total joke. Not even able to MODERATELY handle a disaster such as this with advanced warning.

For God's sake--Bush appointed Brown head of FEMA, a guy with no experience in this area WHATSOEVER.

How can you justify any of this? Is it politicizing an issue to say that these guys don't know what the hell they're doing?
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby D. Tillery » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:04 pm

I started this thread to provide information about what was actually happening in the Kelly shelters and to ask everyone to help. MadJack and I can provide you all info that you cannot get on TV.

If any of y'all think the situation is over, you are mistaken.

I'm interested in the relief efforts in other states. Please go to a shelter near you, volunteer and let us know. I'm going back to Kelly tonight to see what's happened since Monday.

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby D. Tillery » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:59 am

I'm just going to assume that some of you want to know what's happening with the evacuees at the shelter level.

I went to Kelly last night. The Red Cross finally tightened up on who they let volunteer, but not much. Last Sunday a couple of the evacuees "volunteered" in order to avail themselves of extra benefits. That needed to be nipped in the bud, and was.

Some volunteers from out of state have shown up, which is a big help.

Evacuees are slowly starting to leave. The place is not so crowded and hectic. Shower structures are being built to replace the tents now being used.

Red Cross shelter level management is having some growing pains but since things have calmed down a bit, the stakes are not so high. Many of the "managers" showed up when I first did, have the ability to show up every day, and have been given promoted. I have mixed feelings about this situation but I think they will work it out.

The shelters still need voulenteers, especially overnight. Clothing and bedding is needed since they still can't launder. Please do what you can. This situation is far from over.

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby jbbooks » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:12 pm

Jiminsav wrote:OK..i'm about to get flamed for this, but I have to say it...the federal government is not in business to come to everyones aid in times of need..they come to peoples aid at the request of the STATE government.
this country is set up as a colaberation of STATES, with a central federal government to take care of things that all states need..protection and central laws for all to abide by, although STATES can and do Add to laws, but can not take away, except in california in cases of dope for medicine..they just ignore that law, but anyways..the FEDERAL government is in existence to assist STATES..not the other way around..so it was the responceability of the STATE government to come to the aid of their citizens..and i don't hear anyone bitching that the governor of louisianna and mississippi didn't respond fast enough..from what i saw, they didn't respond at all till the waves rolled ashore..so if your gonna bitch about response from government..the damn governors should have their feet held to the fire for allowing the breakdown of law and order and not having the resources to handle a hurrican, which, in all of my 43 years, the news said was bound to hit new orleans eventually.

in case you haven't noticed, i'm PO'd about the whole deal down there and the news and everyone getting on George's ass for something he had no control over in the first place.

Brother you said a mouthful! :applause: :thumbsup: My sentiments exactly.
jbbooks
Teardrop Master

Postby TomS » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:04 pm

For once, I'm going to respect Mike's rules and not respond to the political comments. Besides, we should be talking about what we can do to help.

Those of you who have made a donation or are contemplating a donation to one of the relief agencies should check to see if your employer offers matching donations.

I was surprised to learn today that my employer is match employee donation to the Red Cross by 150%. I made an online a few days ago. So, I filled out required form on the company intranet for the matching donation.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RKH » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:06 pm

employer is match employee donation to the Red Cross by 150%.

That is one of the most generous employer matches I recall seeing. Good on 'em!
~Keith
Support Our Troops

Our traveling blog is at http://www.Happy-Tracks.com
RKH
Teardrop Master

Postby D. Tillery » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:49 pm

Yea, I'm pretty bored of the political BS. Mistakes were made but I'm kind of tired from actually helping to F with all that.

It's strange some of the things needed at the shelters. I have been fortunate to have had success tracking down "odd" items at crucial times: office supplies, walkie talkies, mobile ATM's, golf carts, to name a few. Now I'm looking for clothing racks for the Kelly shelter "store". Racks would save time sorting. You think that would be easy but it has proven harder than the above. Heck, I could have made some by now had I known. Anyway the search goes on.

Thanks Tom and everyone else who is helping.

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiminsav » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:57 pm

I made a donation..i was just venting because it got as bad as it did..i'm sorry.
and my employer dosn't have a matching plan, so I gave what I could.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Previous

Return to Off Topic