2nd property

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

2nd property

Postby beverlyt » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:28 pm

Do you have a 2nd piece of property/cabin/timeshare, whatever?

Would you rather have a "get away" place, or.. say a place to go vacation/camp close by or far way?

We have property 700 miles away and I often wonder if we should buy something closer instead.....something we could enjoy more often.

What are you thoughts or experience on this?

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Frank » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:57 pm

Bev,
We have had very simular situtation, and it was hard to justify. We ended up selling, then visiting with a camper, was lot easier, cheaper, and worried lot less.

If you want to drive 800 miles, you could come down here next winter and stay awhile. :lol:

Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby Grandadeo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:51 pm

My wife and I have been around this mountain several times. We live in Florida so the logical place to get away to is the Carolina Mountains but that's a good 10 - 12 hour ride, too far for a weekend getaway. I've looked into something closer in rural central Florida where there are alot of fresh water lakes and was really surprised how high the prices are, plus there's too many things living in the water for my liking. Now my married kids are telling me what a good idea it would be for "us" to get a place in the mountains. What keeps me away from that is the expense of trying to MAINTAIN two places. They will both have upkeep, utilities, taxes, etc. Plus that nice remote cabin in the mountains is always subject to breakins. I know that one from experience. We lived in the mountains for two years and when we moved back to Florida, but before we were able to move all our stuff, our house up there on a road with other houses near it was broken into and they really cleaned us out. That's my main worry about a second home. So until we are both retired and could spend exended periods of time there I think we'll stay away from one. Plus this country has so many places to go and people to meet that I want to see as much of it as I can, in a Teardrop of course. I do know one guy who lives near me who has a condo in Colorado and another one in the Florida Keys. He has them handled by a rental management company and are rented out a week at a time. They pretty much pay for themselves and he can use them when he wants to. He's not a rich guy but this has worked well for him. Just another possible approach to having a second home.

Lee
Happy Motoring!
Grandadeo
Teardrop Master

Return to Off Topic