New Orleans is sinking - 2001 article from PopularMechanics

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

New Orleans is sinking - 2001 article from PopularMechanics

Postby TonyCooper » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:00 pm

Interesting reading... Looks like foresight occasionally is 20/20 too! Most interesting is the caption under the picture...

New Orleans is sinking
Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:16 pm

Tony--
I think we had too many other things on our mind the day that was published. :cry:
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby Chris C » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:22 pm

But do you really think anyone in the Delta would have listened? They've had their "chins stuck out" for a hundred years knowing it would happen someday. Mother nature just "called her notes" and the people in that region of the country couldn't pay.

I also might add...............They seemed to have the money to build a Super Dome. Why not money to increase their safety? Seems we Americans want to play now and think about our "stores" later.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Gage » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:00 pm

You know we have the same problem in the Sacramento area here in California. Most of the land between the San Francisco Bay area and Sacramento is below sea level with the Sacramento river and several feeders running at sea level and only being kept in check with earthen walls and dykes. All that has to happen here would be a good earthquake to rupture one of the walls and you'll have several thousand homes and a couple of towns under water. The state knows this but nobody seem to care. I guess that's the way it is everywhere. Why worry about what could happen. There is money to make today.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Return to Off Topic