Unexpected Hurricane Impact - Hummers!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Unexpected Hurricane Impact - Hummers!

Postby TonyCooper » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:24 pm

I suspect that the migration of hummingbirds from North America south across the Gulf of Mexico will be disrupted this year due to all the storms in the area... I expect we will see a lot fewer next year.

"Some adult males start migrating south as early as mid-July, but the peak of southward migration for this species is late August and early September. By mid-September, essentially all of the Ruby-throated at feeders are migrating through from farther north, and not the same individuals seen in the summer. "

Hummingbird Migration Discussion
Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Postby purplepickup » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:10 pm

I'm glad I read that Tony. I had told Sue to quit feeding them this week because I thought it might keep them around beyond their normal time to migrate south. The article you referenced said they need to get good and fat for the flight and to leave the feeders out until the first frost. It also said they are carnivores and the nectar just provides energy to catch bugs. I didn't know that.
:)
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby TonyCooper » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:17 pm

I actually saw a picture of a praying mantis that had caught a hummer. Amazing! - I would have never believed it. Story is here
Shortly before reading this my wife and I spotted a mantis on the deck rail near our feeder. We didn't think anything of it! Now we know why he was there...
Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Postby IraRat » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:46 am

I've never seen a hummingbird in my life. I don't know if it's because they don't come to this area, or if they're mainly on the west coast of the state.

However, yesterday, I saw a few Orioles (yellow chests).
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby TonyCooper » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:32 pm

Hang out a couple of hummingbird feeders and be amazed! 5 ft high and keep them full. If you run out they won't hesitate to leave. They do get territorial and will "buzz" you when you check the feeder.

You are on one of their (Ruby Throated Hummers) primary migration routes. They winter in South Florida (starting just south of Orlando). They are heading your way right now.
Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Postby IraRat » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:57 pm

I tried that for a few years, but I didn't see any!
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Bobgorilla » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:04 pm

Ira, I've lived in and around Fl. for 30 years and have yet to see a hummingbird here. Used to see them all the time in So. Cal. when I was a kid. :lol: Of course never saw gators, coral snakes, or flamingos there! :thinking: Did see grey whales, killer whales and abalone though :thumbsup:
if you're not bleeding you're not really working
Bobgorilla
Teardrop Dreamer

Postby Woody » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:09 pm

I live in South Florida and see Humming Birds all the time, right at dusk feeding on flowers in my yard for the whole time I've lived in Florida (18 years) So maybe the reason you guys haven't seen any is maybe there is nothing for them to feed on in your area?
They are around here
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Bobgorilla » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:20 pm

Woody wrote:I live in South Florida and see Humming Birds all the time, right at dusk feeding on flowers in my yard for the whole time I've lived in Florida (18 years) So maybe the reason you guys haven't seen any is maybe there is nothing for them to feed on in your area?
They are around here
:thinking: There maybe something to that, I've always liked a low maintainence yard mainly grass and trees.
Bobgorilla
Teardrop Dreamer

Postby ceebe » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:33 pm

Hummers are common here in the Phoenix area. There is a hummingbird enclosure at the Sonoran Desert Museum in Tucson. I love to go in there and just groove on the buzz
ceebe
Teardrop Master

Postby IraRat » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:00 am

Woody wrote:So maybe the reason you guys haven't seen any is maybe there is nothing for them to feed on in your area?

Maybe that's it--because everything is paved here, and we don't have the natural wild flowers/nectar they would go for. Even hanging up the sugar water, I guess they still have to be in the area to find it.

And here's another weird one:

About a month ago, at dusk, I saw my first lightning bug down here! (Is that what you call them here?) There was a time in the early 60s, even in Brookyn when my neighborhood was first being developed, when I saw tons of them, then they disappeared.

But I really got a kick out of seeing this one--and haven't seen one since.
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Woody » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:07 am

IraRat,
I don't see them much here either. I do see them at the campgrounds though. You need to go camping then :thinking:
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:58 pm

IraRat wrote:I've never seen a hummingbird in my life. I don't know if it's because they don't come to this area, or if they're mainly on the west coast of the state.

However, yesterday, I saw a few Orioles (yellow chests).

Ira, when I lived in Maryland, we had hummers all summer at the feeders. But, thinking about it, I don't remember ever seeing one in Florida before I moved to MD in 1973, and haven't seen one around our area since being back for 5 years. We put out feeders, front and back, but no hummers. Some relatives around the county have them, but we don't. They just pass through and don't stay long anyway.

I lived in MD for 27 years, and only got one brief look at an Oriole. But, last Winter, one showed up in our back yard. I remembered that they like oranges, and cut a couple of ours in half and put them on top of our grape arbor not far from the kitchen window and watched him feed there for several weeks. We also put out a thistle feeder and had Gold Finches last winter, althouth they were not as yellow as they are in Summer up north, more chartreuse colored.

Speaking of birds, last weekend, I heard a Pileated woodpecker in the oak trees outside (once you hear one, you always recognize the sound...like Woody Woodpecker who was modeled after the Pileated). I looked and saw that there were two of them. They were young ones, no more than 14" or 15" inches long. I didn't have my digital camera, so didn't get any pictures. I was closer to these than I ever was in Maryland when they came to the woods around our house. They are really striking with their bright red topknots.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Bobgorilla » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:46 pm

:lol: :thumbsup: Just thought of another reason I may not see certain animals, with a dog, cat, parrot, and conure anything that is the least bit shy probably doesnt get within 100 yards!
Bobgorilla
Teardrop Dreamer

Postby BILLYL » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:23 am

WE have - or maybe had - a family of them. I couldn't believe how much of that red juice they would drink in a day. Really something to see.

Bill
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Next

Return to Off Topic