Drowning is silent,, I NEVER KNEW

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: Drowning is silent,, I NEVER KNEW

Postby Billy C. » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:26 pm

As a professional diver and having worked as a commercial diver and having made over 5800 dives in my career. I am shocked at the huge number of folks that drown every year kids too. This is all the more reason to learn to swim and learn basic life saving skills. I taught my daughter to swim at a real early age. And all four of my grand children early. I know in our busy lives it's hard to find the time to learn this. And to see that your kids learn this stuff but as some of these stories point out it can be a life saver. The life you save might just be yours or a loved one. It's never too soon to teach a child to swim. Infants can and do learn this. And while on the subject of safety how many of you carry a basic first aid kit with you? And how many of you take the time to take a first responders course? So that you might know how to use that first aid kit. As a pro diver I have had many hundreds of hours of classroom on life saving alone. I get updates all the time too. I'm not suggesting that you undertake that level of training. But a first responder course and learning to swim can help to save life. Thanks and I hope this helps. Billy
Billy C.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Padilen » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:51 pm

Local news tonight was another drowning. SUP, from what I heard no PFD.. But the additional was my state Michigan drowning deaths have increased this year.
My nephew's wife FB posted a pic of them with their 3 year old without PFD's ! I pointed it out - and they no longer communicate with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:16 pm

Padilen wrote:Local news tonight was another drowning. SUP, from what I heard no PFD.. But the additional was my state Michigan drowning deaths have increased this year.
My nephew's wife FB posted a pic of them with their 3 year old without PFD's ! I pointed it out - and they no longer communicate with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see that all the time off my lake dock. Young parents with no PFD, going out into the big water with a little one on the back of the SUP. And unfortunately they are legal. Probably think they are invincible. I just do not get it.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby sakrebleu1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:27 am

I'm so glad that the boy got saved. I just saw a videos where a bunch of teenagers saw a man drowning in a lake and they filmed him while doing nothing. I think the video is up on LiveLeak or something. It's terrible that we live among such cruel people. :(
sakrebleu1
Teardrop Builder

Postby PKCSPT » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:50 am

:( That is just so sad.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby sakrebleu1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:25 am

PKCSPT wrote::( That is just so sad.

I know, and it kills me knowing that they were just 17-18 year old teenagers. It's heartbreaking because they are so, so young...
sakrebleu1
Teardrop Builder

Postby olsonwoodworking76 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:00 pm

I do a lot of model boat racing as a hobby and every year there are a couple people across the country that drown after swimming for a stalled boat. When in boot camp we had to swim with full gear to the end of the pool and back. I'm not a bad swimmer so I was pretty surprised when I only made it halfway down the first side. Then I sank like a rock. Let me tell you, that was the scariest thing I have ever experienced. Total helplessness and panic. I reached up high enough and grabbed a life ring and they pulled me out but I NEVER EVER want to experience that again. I Always have a life jacket on when I'm out on the lake or retrieving boats with the club. And make sure and try them out and make sure that they roll you over on your back of you're unconscious. Doesn't do any good if your face is still in the water.
olsonwoodworking76
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BrianRobert » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:33 am

In the past four months, four young people have drowned or nearly drowned in pools even though there are adults nearby. So, how do children drown in plain sight? A first-of-its-kind test shows why.

"It was the same thing that happened to me," Tyler Lazerte, who slipped under water at a friend's pool, told Fox 9 Investigator Trish Van Pilsum. "Under the water, no one heard nothing-- not even the guy in the pool with me."

The day a 4-year-old slide from the synthetic tropical island at the Shoreview Community Center and wandered into deep waters, he couldn't have known that he would become the fourth child in as many months who would show that most people have no idea what a drowning person looks or sounds like.
BrianRobert
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GerryS » Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:19 am

I just had an opportunity to see Jaws on 'the big screen' at a local theatre. This film is a masterpiece -- and within the first few minutes of the film when Chrissie goes into the water and is attacked (sorry for spoiler --- but it is a movie about a big shark) is one of the most haunting scenes in the film. Chrissie is grabbed and tossed around like a ragdoll by the shark, screaming for help and she is silently pulled under and with a last gulp all you hear is the bell on the buoy...haunting.

While this is not real life, and obviously it is not intended to diminish the pain and suffering...it just gives a moment to think...

I can understand better why my mother was always wary when we went to the beach and she insisted on things that I though just stopped us fro having fun.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Off Topic