meteor showers

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

meteor showers

Postby rowerwet » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:34 pm

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-n ... g/39923421 I saw one tuesday morning on the way to work! hope I get to see a few more :thumbsup: even better for those of you who can camp this time of year. last night was in the single digets, and the high was 16, now if we could just get some snow to go with the cold!
in other news, I finally put the tear to bed for the winter, put it's hat on and pushed it back into the corner of the yard.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Re: meteor showers

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:41 pm

Pack your cooler for August the 13th:

2015 Perseid meteor shower

The 2015 Perseid meteor shower will peak on August 12 -13. A new moon on August 14, 2015 will create perfect conditions for observing the meteor shower. Astronomers suggest watching for meteors after midnight on August 13, 2015.

Illustration image
Radiant of the Perseid meteor shower.
Based on NASA illustration
The Perseid meteor shower, one of the brighter meteor showers of the year, occur every August, peaking around August 9-13. Made of tiny space debris from the comet Swift-Tuttle, the Perseids are named after the constellation, Perseus. This is because, the radiant or the direction from which the shower seems to come in the sky lies in the same direction as Perseus. The constellation can be found in the north-eastern part of the sky.

While the skies light up several time a year by other meteor showers , the Perseids are widely sought after by astronomers and stargazers. This is because at its peak, one can see 60 to a 100 meteors in an hour from a dark place.

:pictures:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: meteor showers

Postby Corwin C » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:25 pm

I am so lucky to live where there are dark skies (class 3 Bortle scale in my "backyard", class 2 30 minutes away) ... looking forward to this one and hoping for clear skies.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Return to Off Topic