Old Campers, RV's, Trailers we have owned

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Old Campers, RV's, Trailers we have owned

Postby MtnDon » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:48 pm

A comment on another thread led me to a search for a certain picture. I found it and at the same time found a photo of the first camping vehicle I owned.

It's a Bedford Dormobile, an early 60's model I believe. I owned it 1972 thru 1973. Isle of Mann was home base but it went allover Europe.

The photo is a very frosty north Yugoslavian morning in January '73. It was up in the mountains and so cold it froze our water jugs. Also froze the radiator. Luckily not a hard enough freeze to do damage; just cold enough to keep the coolant from circulating. Cold enough to make the Camping Gaz not want to turn gaseous for the stove. Cold enough to keep the top down and sleep in the less comfortable seats converted to beds.

I had to build a fire and use a couple found cans from a roadside dump to melt snow, heat the water and then use it to pour down over the outside of the radiator to melt a coolant flow path.

Later got a quart of antifreeze to add to the system. I did not know the language at all but found that walking into the first auto parts store and blurting out "anti freeze" worked.

The stick wedged between body and bumper was to dampen a rattle. :roll: Care free days......
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Old Campers, RV's, Trailers we have owned

Postby robfisher » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:21 pm

Cool vehicle and great story. Thanks for sharing
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Off Topic