KIWI Trailers

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

KIWI Trailers

Postby southpennrailroad » Tue May 26, 2015 5:38 am

http://littlejar.com/kiwi/kiwi.cgi

I have been living for the past five years in a 6 X 10 utility trailer and just saw a KIWI camper for $2,500 and was wondering compared to a 1 inch insulated utility trailer how well living in the KIWI would be especially in the winter in Pittsburgh. I always lay in bed when I am in the trailer but would feel better in a roomier trailer where I could sit at my computer and even shower and cook. I always go out to eat and want to start to make my meals at home. I was thinking of removing one of the tents and insulating that part. It would be a single axle and smaller then this.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Re: KIWI Trailers

Postby S. Heisley » Tue May 26, 2015 8:00 pm

Russ, that one sold. However, I suspect that travel trailers that are manufactured would not be as well insulated as yours, especially that Kiwi. Also, remember that people tend to fill up whatever space they have available. It's just our nature. :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby southpennrailroad » Wed May 27, 2015 6:31 am

I looked at it yesterday and it had bad problems. Trying for a Canyon Cat 17' trailer. Will learn today if I got it. Thanks. Was re directed once I got into the search.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby GPW » Wed May 27, 2015 8:08 am

Having owned a small Jayco (19’) camper , I would highly Recommend AGAINST buying one .... The construction didn’t last till the end of the warranty before it began to leak, ROT and warp... Upon examination , it was made of absolutely the worst materials for trailer construction . It was almost as if it was "designed to fail” , or as my RV dealer (ex) said ...and I quote ... " It’s a Disposable trailer” ... :roll: BAD idea !!!
Discussing this with others that have bought new trailers , they all say the same thing too , so the “brand” really doesn’t seem to matter. However it does make large PROFITS for the trailer manufacturers (selling parts at ridiculous markups) and RV dealers who charge like the Pope is going to fix your trailer... :duh:

Commercially made trailers are the sole reason we now make our own ... and anybody who thinks trailer making is too difficult should visit the Foamie section ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby southpennrailroad » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:16 am

I decided to build my own on a 7' x 14' trailer. I need this bad.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:11 am

Decided on a heavy duty lawn trailer and using 2" x 4" for all sides. Going to use rubber over luan for the roof and cover over the metal sides.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:18 am

S. Heisley wrote:Russ, that one sold. However, I suspect that travel trailers that are manufactured would not be as well insulated as yours, especially that Kiwi. Also, remember that people tend to fill up whatever space they have available. It's just our nature. :)

Thanks,I knew that one was sold but posted it to show what I wanted and need. I lived in this cramped trailer for so LNG in my time that I want to now live with room to spare and not clog up. I want only the essential items. live clean for a change. Shower, closet, counter space, lifted fridge so I can see what I bought without hurting my back. Just open the door and see what I have and say, I want that for my meal. This is not mine but gives a great example of what I live in compared to what I want to live in. The trailer barely seen on the far side is what I live in now compared to what I want to build in the foreground.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (105.49 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:20 am

Russ,

That's a nice trailer. It'll be a nice step up for you after living in the cargo trailer for the last 5 years.

There are several options to get to where you want to be, and I'm assuming you want to build. Good choice!!!

Don't get too heavy on the framing, and use lots of foam. For design ideas you can look at vardos, tiny houses ala Jay Schafer, and also traditional camper shapes. If you are towing with a smaller vehicle, you'll want to make sure to build with lots of foam.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Mike...

P.S. Just for fun, here's a tiny house I designed last year.

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jiminsav » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:27 pm

First of all, why are you living in a utility trailer, secondly, yes, most manufactured trailers are put together like crap.
and thirdly..why not just build a tiny house on a big trailer frame so your still mobile, but comfortable. :)
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby dales133 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:31 am

Jiminsav wrote:First of all, why are you living in a utility trailer, secondly, yes, most manufactured trailers are put together like crap.
and thirdly..why not just build a tiny house on a big trailer frame so your still mobile, but comfortable. :)

Thats a realy nice tiny home
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby rebapuck » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:44 am

I agree to building to get what you want. Do you really need a short queen bed or will a standard twin do? That would save footage. Will you like building that bed every night? Does the portapottie need to be in a separate room? Or can it pull out from under a cabinet or bed. Put the fridge at exactly the right height.

Just keep tall stuff in the corners so your eye sees open space. It will feel bigger.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby southpennrailroad » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:58 am

https://www.facebook.com/trailerbuild/?ref=bookmarks Thisis where I have done a step by step on the build.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:54 pm

It looks like you'll be a lot more comfortable in the new trailer, Russ. I like your idea of the outlet strip. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Off Topic