Aviation Enthusiasts Sound Off

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: Aviation Enthusiasts Sound Off

Postby Dave Gray » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:07 pm

I am going to Oshkosk again this year along with about a dozen of my fellow 1077 chaptermates. I currently own and fly a Champ. Anybody reading this should go and rejuvenate your soul.
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Roly Nelson » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:34 pm

Nothing like the old stick and rudder. I learned to fly in an old Piper PA-12, which my instructor said was worry free in the event of a fire. In that event, all it does, is WOOSH, and all you will be flying is a bunch of aluminum tubing. I remember that comment well, one day when on downwind for landing, the cockpit filled with smoke and I went diving for the end of the runway. At touch down, I had too much speed, since there are no flaps on that plane, so I rolled off the end of the runway, jumped out before it exploded and found out that the muffler had blown apart, but there were no flames. I never flew that plane again, and graduated to Cessnas. in which I now have about 800 hours. I love to fly, but at 85 years old, my reaction time is a bit slower, so I'm stuck on the ground forever. Damn! So it's the woody teardrop trailer life for me, at least for another 15 years or so.
:( Roly, the li'l ol' So Calif woody teardrop guy
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Dave Gray » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:02 am

Roly Nelson wrote:Nothing like the old stick and rudder. I learned to fly in an old Piper PA-12, which my instructor said was worry free in the event of a fire. In that event, all it does, is WOOSH, and all you will be flying is a bunch of aluminum tubing. I remember that comment well, one day when on downwind for landing, the cockpit filled with smoke and I went diving for the end of the runway. At touch down, I had too much speed, since there are no flaps on that plane, so I rolled off the end of the runway, jumped out before it exploded and found out that the muffler had blown apart, but there were no flames. I never flew that plane again, and graduated to Cessnas. in which I now have about 800 hours. I love to fly, but at 85 years old, my reaction time is a bit slower, so I'm stuck on the ground forever. Damn! So it's the woody teardrop trailer life for me, at least for another 15 years or so.

Roly,

You are not stuck on the ground forever. All you have to do is go to a local EAA chapter and you can get a ride. You live in the area of EAA Chapter ONE (Flabob). I suspect that you already know that, plus there are a few others in the area. To find out more go to eaa.org, select "CHAPTERS", then "find a chapter". I always say that my EAA chapter is where I can always share a ride with someone now, and I will always be able to get a ride when I can't. I'm sure with your building skills, you could find one that would let you help work on a project if you wished. I'm not sure that "graduated to Cessnas" was the correct phraseology. Perhaps "switched" would be more appropriate.

Dave
Last edited by Dave Gray on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rockinrobin » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:43 am

Roly Nelson wrote:Nothing like the old stick and rudder. I learned to fly in an old Piper PA-12, which my instructor said was worry free in the event of a fire. In that event, all it does, is WOOSH, and all you will be flying is a bunch of aluminum tubing. I remember that comment well, one day when on downwind for landing, the cockpit filled with smoke and I went diving for the end of the runway. At touch down, I had too much speed, since there are no flaps on that plane, so I rolled off the end of the runway, jumped out before it exploded and found out that the muffler had blown apart, but there were no flames. I never flew that plane again, and graduated to Cessnas. in which I now have about 800 hours. I love to fly, but at 85 years old, my reaction time is a bit slower, so I'm stuck on the ground forever. Damn! So it's the woody teardrop trailer life for me, at least for another 15 years or so.

Hey Roly, If your travels bring you through the Texas Panhandle area, look me up,and we will get you back in the air in a Piper PA-12 Super Cruiser. Ronnie
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Roly Nelson » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:18 am

Thanks Dave and Ronnie, yes, I have attended some of the EAA chapter meetings here in So Calif. Even briefly helped work on an Air Camper in Corona. It made me aware that there was no way I could ever build a wooden airplane during my retired years. I built a number of custom wooden teardrop camping trailers instead. So, more camping and less if none at all, aviation activity. Can't ever plan a cross country trip to the Texas panhandle again, it's too hard for aging bones and 2 dogs to endure. Thanks for the encouragaing posts, my 3 trips to Oskosh were very enjoyable, about 15 years ago. Life goes on, so let's live to be 100, only 15 years more to go.
8) Roly, using full flaps, pushing nose down and setting it down right on the numbers!
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby elcam84 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:45 pm

My HS shop teacher was rebuilding a wood plane. I can't remember what it was as its been many years since I saw it and he has been gone many years as well... If I were to build a plane it'd probably be aluminum. I have a nice collection of aircraft tools. In fact a bought a few tools from the estate sale of one of the little rascals. Can't remember which one but he worked for Convair here. I couldn't afford his costumes from the show. They went to a local buyer that has big bucks.

We are moving to somewhere around Charlotte in the next year and my planned projects when we get there are a larger style teardrop and a boat. One of the plans from Glen-L maybe the riviera.
My main project here is remodeling the house (major remodeling). Not doing that on the next house course we weren't planning on moving until the us air aa merger. That gave us the opportunity to move somewhere with much nicer weather and closer to allot more stuff to do. Winter is colder there but so is summer and they have this thing called rain that enables this green thing called grass to grow as well as other plants.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby Dave Gray » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:56 am

Well it has been a year since anyone has posted here but I can't believe that this thread is dead yet. Every once in a while someone new discovers it and tells their story.

Personally I am a Private Pilot but that and a couple of pennies will get you two cents. I will take a passenger for a ride anytime I have the opportunity. I have met with JDW2717 in Oshkosh and I have watched Friz build his CLC Tear here on this forum along with his biggest supporter KingAirNeal.

I am planning to be in Oshkosh again in 2018. (7/23-7/27)

The outline of the story goes...There once was a Cub pilot that looked up and saw a turboprop and longed to "Be that Guy". The Turboprop Guy looked into the sky and aspired to be the ATP Captain, The ATP Captain wished he could be an Astronaut and the Astronaut looked down at the Earth and wished he could be a Cub Pilot.

'Tis the Circle of Life.
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jdw2717 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:14 am

I may try to go to Oshkosh this year depending on the weather. I was unable to attend last year due to a lack of vacation time and as EAA posted the video updates of the week, I realized how much I wish I had made the time.
"Twenty years form now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines... Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

John & Tatanya
Jdw2717
Teardrop Master

Postby Dave Gray » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:55 am

Hi John,

I will be there in 2018. Probably in the same general area as before. Last year the Blue Angels were awesome. We were sitting in camp one late afternoon and we heard something that prompted us to find it. In about five seconds it found us, doing about 400kts at 300 agl directly overhead. We watched him circle and disappear then he came back, or was it another, then there were two.....

When they arrived to do the show they flew around like hornets. I chose to watch the show from the camp because I wanted to see their rejoins and setups for the next flight line pass. I could still see most of their formation maneuvers.

One of the themes for 2018 is going to be Tankers (as in refueling operations)
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jdw2717 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:51 pm

We were there once before when they were there. When the single plane came over the campground perpendicular to the field it set off all of the car alarms. It was great. If I get to go this year, I will most likely be in about the same place as last time.

The tanker portion is one of the reasons I would like to go this year. My dad was in the Air Force for 29 years and flew tankers most of the time he was in. His last few years he was an instructor in the KC135s. I have his log books from early on and saw where he trained in the T34 Mentor, T28, B25 and then flew the KC97 and KC135. He did a small stint in Vietnam flying air rescue out of DaNang with the Jolly Green Giants in the H3 helicopters.
"Twenty years form now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines... Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

John & Tatanya
Jdw2717
Teardrop Master

Postby Dave Gray » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:26 pm

I'm taking the Big Rig up to Oshkosh Saturday morning.
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:50 pm

Dave Gray wrote:I'm taking the Big Rig up to Oshkosh Saturday morning.

Quite the show as you well know. Back in my EAA days, you'd send them $20 (?) and they'd send you a VHS tape so you could understand how to approach for a right-hand pattern for runway 27. All without pressing the mic button. Unbelievable.

:thumbsup:

Take some pics, please.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:05 pm

From the west, line up at Ripon, follow the leader and listen for instructions on final. Done it many times.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:04 am

friz wrote:From the west, line up at Ripon, follow the leader and listen for instructions on final. Done it many times.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

In what?

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GTS225 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:53 am

Oshkosh is on my bucket list, as well.
My love leans more toward the WW1 side of things. Maybe I'm a bit of a romantic, but it harkens to a time when one got airborne, set a magnetic heading, and went with it. Seems far to easy to set a destination point in a magic screen in the panel, turn on the auto-pilot, and lean back in the seat to read the latest Sports Illustrated.

Life got too much in the way of getting a pilot's ticket, and these days, the expense would be too much for me to handle. I'd love to have, or build, one of Graham Lee's Nieuport 11's, in legal part 103 trim.
I do have a penchant for rotary wing, though. Did a stint in San Diego, wrenching on Navy helos as a airframer, so I'm not a complete neophyte. A legal 103 helo would be the cat's meow for landing in my backyard.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic