Goodbye Gas Mower, Hello Electric!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: Goodbye Gas Mower, Hello Electric!

Postby swoody126 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:13 am

the BRIDAL UNIT on this homestead loves working in HER yard and far be it for me to object!

she sprigs grass when/where it gets a bit thin

she keeps the limbs trimm'd above my head

AND she loves to mow

when her mom passed(over 10 years ago) she inherited an OLD B&D electric and a long string

the deck was feeble & the blade needed kneading butt all was within my ability to make whole once more

when the deck finally became unfixable i found an exact duplicate on the infamouse CL which i gladly procured for her

she has yet to tag the string and over tyme has received an electric wee-weeder that she chose/fits her hands and uses prefilled spools

now all i have to do is replace wee-weeder spools & sharpen the mower bade when requested

btw, she bought me a 50hp green & yellow riding mower(JD 5103) for the 20ac place we have in the country

it has a 6' shredder, 8' side cutter, 6' box blade, 5' scraper blade, 6' tandem disc, 6' bucket & adjustable forks for the front end loader

pick your battles & win the war... :)

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby RonS » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:56 pm

Ok, I haven't looked at mowers in forever. Somewhere around 2001, my grandmother decided she didn't like her mower, and wanted a different one. Since I didn't have one and had just moved into a house with a yard that needed mowed, I bought her what she wanted, and took her old one for myself. I figured if I got even a couple seasons out of it, it was worth the trade. I'm still using that one, and expect it to last a while longer.

I think some of you in this thread have battery powered mowers. What do you think of them? My Mom needs a new mower and asked me for recommendations. As mentioned above, I haven't done any research on mowers as I wasn't expecting to be making a purchase.

Mom fell last year and broke her wrist. She still doesn't have the grip strength she used to have and I'm thinking maybe she should get a battery one and not have to deal with a pull cord. She has a riding mower for the main part of the yard, push mower will just be for the areas she can't get to with the rider.

Suggestions on brands to look at/avoid appreciated. Also what features are important, and what's marketing fluff.
Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?
RonS
Teardrop Master

Postby daveesl77 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:00 am

I have had the corded, electric mower for almost a year now and absolutely love it. Even during the hottest months of Florida summer, I just mowed before the temps got above like 80, if possible. I did not get a battery model due to several factors - 1) the weight, 2) the cost, 3) the warranty, 4) battery failure, 5) bad reviews. The only redeeming quality I saw with them over the corded model was not needing a cord. Once you learn the trick with the cord, it doesn't become a problem. In addition, the grass portion of my yard is about 1/4 acre, with front and back about equal in size. I have a fairly steep down-angled yard, back to front. I mow one side on the first day, then the second side the next. Mow side-side, not up and down. The Kobalt mower has a 5 year, no hassle warranty, is light, lots of power and I venture to say the quality of the cut is better than almost any gas mower I have ever had, whether rider or push. No need for gas/oil. No pulling ropes or finding out the battery is dead. Blades are 1/3 the cost of the riding mowers. Don't worry about motors blowing up or tires being flat. Cut time is about 20 minutes longer per section than the rider, except even that isn't the real case, because with the rider I had to get out the weedeater to get to places the mower couldn't, with the push electric that isn't a problem.

Lowes, Kobalt, corded electric.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby RonS » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:33 pm

I forgot to mention, from the house to the furthest spot she needs to mow, she'd need about 300 feet of extension cords, which is why I was curious about battery mowers as opposed to corded ones.
RonS
Teardrop Master

Postby daveesl77 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:25 am

Yeah, 300 feet of extension cords would not work well. Main problem I see with the battery thing is the weight and reliability problems they have. Since you are only looking for a trim system, maybe an electric start, gas push mower, self-propelled? That way it can start fairly easily, would help move itself. Just a thought. Unfortunately, it is really hard to find a teenager who wants to make a few bucks each week to do the job for you. Not being sarcastic, I've found it is almost impossible to get a local kid to do anything work related anymore.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby RonS » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:17 pm

daveesl77 wrote:Unfortunately, it is really hard to find a teenager who wants to make a few bucks each week to do the job for you. Not being sarcastic, I've found it is almost impossible to get a local kid to do anything work related anymore.

dave

I know. I used to pay the neighbor's grandson to do mine, when he was up mowing hers. Mostly because he'd do it for the $10 she was giving him to do hers, I figured it wasn't worth my time at that price. Since he's grown up and gotten a real job, we're both mowing our own again. Even with teenagers living right across the street....

An electric start gas mower might be the ticket. I'm sure she can handle the actual mowing part, it's just getting a pull-start running that was my concern.
RonS
Teardrop Master

Postby Harry2027 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:04 am

I have been using my new WORX WG771 approximately for a month. In compare with the gas-powered mowers, this one much quieter.
The model has the pair of li-ion batteries, and they are working simultaneously.
What I like, that this mover has a special indicator which shows you how much power left. The whole construction of WORX weights 50 pound, which is much lighter than most of gas powered lawn mowers.
I must say that it is pricey but thus far a good buy.
https://www.bestadvisor.com/electric-lawn-mowers
Harry2027
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Off Topic