Alexa

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Alexa

Postby Bigwoods » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:28 pm

I need some advice. My wife wants an Alexa. We have wifi in the house but we do not have smart phones. Just the old dumb one and a thing called a land lane.

My question is will the Alexa work and what are we going to miss with our old fashioned systems.

I was teasing her that she wanted it so she would have someone to talk too that wouldn't argue with her. I don't argue but sometimes I am wife deaf.

Greg
;)
Greg in Northern Minnesota

Bigwoods
500 Club

Re: Alexa

Postby mgb4tim » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:35 pm

We've used ours to automate some lighting, switch remote lighting, play music, (multiple) named kitchen timers, ask for forecasts. I added the workbench light to the list. I always leave that thing one. Now, when I'm in the house, I can check, and turn it off, if needed.

You can always find a new, fun, and sometimes, useful skill for Alexa. No need for the smartphone, as I believe it can all be handled with the web interface, alexa.amazon.com.

I'm working on a module now to check if the 3 garage doors are up or down, and using voice commands to open and close them. We can't see them from the house, and can get alerts if they are opened. Sure, they are available commercially for $100+/per door, but I can make it all for under $20, and that makes it fun when you can write Alexa's reply.

Me: "Alexa, close the middle door."
Alexa: "Yo, the middle freakin' door is already open."

Just another hobby I didn't need.
mgb4tim
Teardrop Advisor

Postby working on it » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:45 pm

Bigwoods wrote:I need some advice. My wife wants an Alexa. We have wifi in the house but we do not have smart phones. Just the old dumb one and a thing called a land lane.

My question is will the Alexa work and what are we going to miss with our old fashioned systems.

I was teasing her that she wanted it so she would have someone to talk too that wouldn't argue with her. I don't argue but sometimes I am wife deaf.

Greg
;)
If she needs someone to talk to, get her a dog. If she needs remote control of something, may I suggest "the Clapper". High-tech enough for my granny, in 1985 or so; why improve upon it?
the Clapper.JPG
the Clapper.JPG (58.92 KiB) Viewed 4997 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jondbar628 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:38 pm

It IS important to know that you can turn Alexa off when you want. When on, Alexa hears everything - what she hears, Amazon hears................."Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you". - Steven Wright (I think) Clapper Story - Son had one years ago. Thought it was neat. Also had a yappy little dog. Clapper couldn't (or wouldn't), tell the difference between a clap and the dog's yap. Light goes on & off at dog bark when son not home. Dog learns that this is fun. Pretty soon is barking just to watch light on/off, at ALL hours. Clapper goes in trash.................jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:52 pm

We have an Alexa. It's handy for setting cooking timers. "Alexa, set five-minute timer." But it'll do a whole bunch of other stuff too.

However.... I think you might need a smartphone to set one up. Google it.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby mgb4tim » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 am

tony.latham wrote:However.... I think you might need a smartphone to set one up. Google it.
Tony

You don't
mgb4tim
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CAJUN LADY » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:25 pm

jondbar628 wrote:It IS important to know that you can turn Alexa off when you want. When on, Alexa hears everything - what she hears, Amazon hears................."Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you". - Steven Wright (I think) Clapper Story - Son had one years ago. Thought it was neat. Also had a yappy little dog. Clapper couldn't (or wouldn't), tell the difference between a clap and the dog's yap. Light goes on & off at dog bark when son not home. Dog learns that this is fun. Pretty soon is barking just to watch light on/off, at ALL hours. Clapper goes in trash.................jd

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

I think my husband threw his away too after it would switch the lights on and off too. BUT, for some reason I love remote controlled electrical thingees. I bought two of the same kind, put one in the husband's den so he wouldn't have to physically get up and switch on his light (he's retired now so don't want him to over exert himself...end of sarcasm). I also put one in my son's room. Well.....that didn't work out too well. They both couldn't figure out why their light would come on or go off for no apparent reason. Except, they would use their remotes and it would find the other appliance in another room and turn it off or on. It was kinda comical for awhile, then my son said "I'm done, this thing is possessed." But they work! :)
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:34 pm

what she hears, Amazon hears...
:shock:

:frightened: I think that's Jeff Bezos in the center!!!

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby jstrubberg » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:49 am

Bigwoods, I assume you have DSL or some other type of internet connection to go with that land line? Alexa doesn't do any processing locally. She won't work without an internet connection.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby Bigwoods » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:59 pm

Yes we have DSL in the house. The wifi works pretty good when it is working.. It kicks out every so often cause as the tech says we are at the end of the line. We have too many trees around to he high speed through the air.
Greg in Northern Minnesota

Bigwoods
500 Club

Postby jstrubberg » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:46 pm

One other thi;g to think about....there was recently a burglary where the burglar stood on the front porch yelling commands to Alexa until he found one they opened the smart lock on the front door. Be careful what you set up voice commands for.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby RonS » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?
RonS
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:40 pm

I will not have one. The features and "gadget possibilities" intrigue me. But I guess I am just to cynical/distrustful of others (meaning big brother types).
I guess that ages me.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:10 am

Mine is mainly my radio. One day it will turn me in for talking to my dog or yelling at soorts, I can live with that.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:57 am

lrrowe wrote:I will not have one. The features and "gadget possibilities" intrigue me. But I guess I am just to cynical/distrustful of others (meaning big brother types).
I guess that ages me.

I'm betting your smartphone has more potential for privacy issues than an Alexa. All those apps...

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Off Topic