Dog coat

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Dog coat

Postby ae6black » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:16 pm

has anybody ever put a dog coat on a Brittany Spaniel? My brit gets cold and wants to go in the camper all of the time when I want to sit around the campfire in the evening. Does anybody have a solution that worked for you? Do these Doggie coats work? My dog is a male, do these dog coats that they sell leave room for them to do their business or do you have to take it off for them to pull up a tree?

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Re: Dog coat

Postby tony.latham » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:35 pm

ae6black wrote:has anybody ever put a dog coat on a Brittany Spaniel? My brit gets cold and wants to go in the camper all of the time when I want to sit around the campfire in the evening. Does anybody have a solution that worked for you? Do these Doggie coats work? My dog is a male, do these dog coats that they sell leave room for them to do their business or do you have to take it off for them to pull up a tree?

Art

Are you sure it's not the time of day? Our pooches wanted to get in the truck (where they sleep at night) when the eclipse rolled over. I think it was before noon.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:52 pm

We have tried many different coats for our dog. The one that works the best is made by Hurtta. https://www.hurtta.com/global_en/
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby working on it » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:03 pm

Our big dogs (over 75 lbs) usually wear quilted horse/dog blanket type jackets https://www.amazon.com/Fleece-Waterproof-Blanket-XX-Large-Midlee/dp/B01N43TWDD/ref=sr_1_8?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1524011262&sr=1-8&keywords=dog+blanket+coats, the medium sized 25-55 lbs dogs usually get sweaters, and our 95 lb female boxer wears a super-sized sweater (her chest is 36"+ around). She also wears a xxl Thundershirt http://www.thundershirt.com/gclid=Cj0KCQjwttbWBRDyARIsAN8zhbJlwSdM5DYehn6x12dBgq3FvBVL5XJxOjCWsB2fOp27N6avWyos8goaAhoUEALw_wcB when it storms. Since it rarely gets cold for long here, Thundershirt usage is much greater than sweater usage. Our little 5-12 lb dogs wear sweaters, Tee-shirts, and vests (one terrier loves shirts, my little Dorkie hates'em).
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:27 pm

My French Brittany used to wear coats that I made for him. He wasn't crazy about them but appreciated them on cold nights, back when we were still tenting. Since, I've discovered that, if I keep his fur/hair a little longer, he doesn't seem to need a coat. (Plus, the trailer is warmer at night than a tent!) When I did make coats, I used a pattern and made them out of heavy flannel or twill; but, other things can be used, such as fleece. Fleece will help keep a dog warmer even when it is wet; and also, the fabric is washable. It is pretty easy to work with; requires no seam finishing; and, is very forgiving of errors. You just pin the pattern pieces onto the material; cut them out and sew the resulting fabric pieces together. I have a whole wardrobe for my little hairless pooch. She loves them. Coat patterns can be found at most any fabric store.

The 'business' area of the lower belly and behind area is left open for their necessities. You can find ready-made pet coats at most pet stores; and, if you need a warmer coat, a toddler's winter snow/ski vest will sometimes do the job. I've seen a child's size snow/ski vest used on a German Shepard.

I think the reason that the Brittany Spaniels' hair is kept so short is two-fold: 1) If you hunt with him/her, you'll be able to see the ticks easier. and 2) There are less fur balls to be found around the house. Mine doesn't hunt plus the fluffy hair balls sometimes found remind me how lucky I am to have him. (And, that it's time to vacuum!)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Off Topic