Has anyone had a dog with diabetes?

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Has anyone had a dog with diabetes?

Postby Bigwoods » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:31 pm

Our 6 yo female Collie has been drinking a ton of water and it's the first time ever that she peed in the house. We will get her in this week for a proper diagnosis. I looked for information and they say a special food that looks real expensive and probably shots. Anyone with experience with this? :( :(
Greg in Northern Minnesota

Bigwoods
500 Club

Re: Has anyone had a dog with diabetes?

Postby Padilen » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:27 am

My sister dog has it, and other medical problems. But he has lived a good life with proper care.
All my dog's male and female have drank/played in water. So much so that once and awhile, when napping they have lost control of their bladder.. None were diabetic. I learned, now I say go pee, before you can come in. No pee no come in.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Bill n Robi » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:06 pm

Had a cat with it... Not that different, no change in diet but he got a twice daily shot - sub Q in his neck skin. He actually came out for it, somehow he new it was good for him.

Diagnosed at 5, lived another 15.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby troubleScottie » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:00 am

I have raised dogs for 30 years.

A single event is not a problem. Drinking excess water can be a symptom of many disorders or nothing more than a thirsty dog.

However, continued issue even over several days needs to be reviewed. Have the dog checked at the vet as you intend.

We fortunately have not had to deal with any long term illnesses.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby kerryb » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:59 pm

Phredric von Underfoot, our miniature schnauzer, was diagnosed with diabetes after similar symptoms at the age of 9 (human years) he was with us for 3 1/2 more wonderful years with two shots a day and semi-monthly checkups at the vet. He appeared normal to anyone else. Important change was always having someone to administer his shot at the same time every day and evening. We often showed up at social events in two cars because someone had to stay behind to "shoot the dog" at the appropriate time!
Good luck.
kerryb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby troubleScottie » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:18 pm

As a breeder, I would reiterate the other person's comment, a single event is not an illness.

Dogs do change eating and drinking habits time to time. And there are lots of illnesses out there. A google search is not the same as experience or education.

Get a checkup at the vet. Best plan.

Assuming the worse, subcutaneous injections are very easy. Biggest issue is sticking yourself when covering the needle back up.

The special diet food is more expensive, but not that much. Going from a premium food to special is not that big.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Return to Off Topic