Winter Musing

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Winter Musing

Postby ae6black » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:35 pm

I am normally a carrot peeler only sort of guy. For some reason instead of pealing the potatoes with my normal rada paring knife, I pealed the potatoes with the peeler since the peeler was already dirty from peeling carrots. Since I am bored and not out camping at this particular time, I thought I'd pose the question as to how many people actually use a potato Peeler for it's intended use. I personally don't like using one cause they are harder on my arthritic hands than a paring knife and I don't like dulling my peeler on potatoes because then it won't work so well when I peel carrots. Is anybody else bored enough that they might think about such things?

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Re: Winter Musing

Postby Bill n Robi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:46 pm

Well, I had to get mine out to try to remember what I use it for... Peeling fresh ginger is my only use. The wife has an issue with potato skins but I cook them with it on and get her left overs, which I love.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:46 am

I don't peel my potatoes either, just a good washing. So I guess mine is a carrot peeler as well.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:06 am

got to use one 'once' in my life -Sept/Oct 1973- US ARMY basic training when my ## came up for KP (meaning = 'Keep Peeling') got the first potato peeled, than got taken away for a side job instead - got hauled down to an old section of Ft.Ord, Calif. where I got to 'peel' wood paneling from the walls of an old mess hall before it was torn down instead (with 'all' of it torn down 'now-a-days', being there is 'no' more Ft.Ord any longer) Our Mess Hall Sgt. wanted the paneling for his Mess Hall. I do carry a couple of 'peelers' in my trailer but have yet to 'ever' use any of them - But - if I am ever camping with 'any' of you... feel free to ask, being they are there for any that need to borrow......... PS when doing my dutch-oven "Scalloped Potato's", I always just washed and than sliced them.. :beer:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:29 am

I live where "FAMOUS POTATOES" is printed on the license plate.

And I'm not a peeler. The skins have tooo much flavor to chuck.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:49 pm

I Second that thought!!! Baked Potato = after eating out the middle than adding the butter and eating the rest as the "sandwich"!! YES!! too the 'best tasting' part of it!!!! the Ultimate 'Pocket Sandwich" :thumbsup: along with a bit of bacon and/or sour cream even adds a bit more to it also!! :beer:
gudmund
500 Club

Return to Off Topic