PMF boat?

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

PMF boat?

Postby Bob Hammond » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:49 pm

Hello, I've occasionally joked that my hybrid foamie would float because it's so watertight, but I wonder if there's something to that.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RXcPVzH7K6mBsMR83

In the 1920s & 30s, canvas covered canoes were common, and I've found Popular Mechanics plans from that time to make one. Obviously, there have been advances in technology, but the basics of that idea really haven't changed. I've been thinking that saturating & shrinking canvas over a frame with Titebond III would make a good canoe. But I've also wondered if stitch & glue techniques with canvas and TBIII would work for a dinghy pram or small rowing skiff. I don't think I'd go larger than a 7-12 ft boat to start.

https://www.christinedemerchant.com/fre ... plans.html

Do you have any opinions about this?
Curator
Museum of Unfinished Projects
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Re: PMF boat?

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:24 pm

S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby kerryb » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:30 pm

It would work just fine! As a stitch and glue boatbuilder I want to clear up the concept of stitch and glue...this method allows you to fasten panels together with minimal mold or building jig. Think banana peel reassembled after removing the banana. The "stitches" are commonly copper wire or zip ties to hold the panels together until the seams are glued together, usually with glass cloth/ tape and epoxy. TB3 would be fine for waterproofing, I just wonder if canvass would have the strength in tension to hold the panels together. It would be a shame to have your boat come apert at the seams. Now if you build a true "foamy" with PMF inside and out, in the shape of a boat, with seats and bulkheads, I think it would be a great boat. Just don't run into too many sharp rocks.
kerryb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tac422 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:21 pm

I've been thinking about building a canvas skinned canoe for awhile now, just painted canvas stretched over a wood frame ….
tac422
500 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:57 am

If your plywood boat would be sturdy and float without the canvass then painted cloth on the outside would be fine. The painted cloth would not be very strong by itself. The cloth would keep the boat watertight and give a good finish.

I have thought about a foam boat, canoe or row boat, made with pmf but I'm not too convinced the sides or bottom would crack as soon as a minor hit would happen. My experience with boats shows they have a rough life and need much more strenght than just floating.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:16 pm

:thumbsup: I've been told that canvas and paint was what was used on some of the earliest homemade small boats and worked fine.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Tomterrific » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:57 am

When I look at an old canvas covered canoe I see the wooden structure is the strength and the canvas is the waterproof covering.

Platt Monford developed a series of ultralight canoes using wood ribs and spars with kevlar roving stretched in tension. The wood was placed in compression by the stretched kevlar. Wood is strong in compression and Kevlar is strong in tension. The boat was covered with Dacron cloth and painted. These boats are darn cool!

The point being, if the boat structure is strong then cloth can make it waterproof.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby me&z » Tue May 14, 2019 6:46 am

Rowerwet is the resident expert on foamie boats:

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=58623

He's build a whole floatila of houseboats and a kayak or two with foam and pmf.
me&z
Teardrop Master

Return to Off Topic