US Post Office

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

US Post Office

Postby scoopburt » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:42 pm

Now I m ow why the dam post office is going under.... trying to be nice and send my daughter a package at camp. 2 small bags of candy and a card. Candy and card $4. Shipping $8. Anything over 13 ounces is Priority mail... that will not happen again. Next time I will fill the box with sand so I feel like I'm getting a deal.. they will ship up to 30 something pounds for that price... actually I will just go across the street to FedEx and take my beating.... at least I know they are for profit. Thanks for listening.

HAVE A GREAT DAY

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
scoopburt
Teardrop Inspector

Re: US Post Office

Postby Bill n Robi » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:15 pm

At least she got it. I have had 6 packages delivered to someone else in the last 5 months - and the idiot mailman said "no package for you" - funny he scanned it 5 minutes before but no he did not have a package, funny the web page said it was in my mailbox, but nope he just drove up.... Not like my medications are not critical, or my dogs medications were important. Now the trigger group for my rifle was but it was dropped off elsewhere and those people actually brought it by and handed it to me....

Have the local supervisor's number on speed dial.

Praying that we get our new house next week and then we have to have a PO Box.... no home delivery in that area.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby scoopburt » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:30 pm

Yeah... I completely forgot to complain about that. My US Post office Amazon ordered get scanned as delivered sometimes hours before they actual show up on my door step. ..... Amazon will send a message my package has been delivered. I will swing by the house. No package... I have called Amazon the last 3 times it has happen. No reason for the post office to say its here before it is Amazon says I will not be here until 9pm. They usually arrive same day but are scanned as arriving at 2-3pm usually. (Actual arrival is usually after 6). I'm with you. Be happy when I move to my buddies farm.... P.O. box...

scoopburt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:12 pm

* All the major shipping companies have a similar, common problem. Incompetent workers in the final delivery position. I've had problems with USPS, FedEx, DHL, and even UPS (which I have long regarded as the best). I was in shipping/receiving off & on for 40 years, with my last 10 years running the department (in a major newspaper), prior to my retirement, and have dealt extensively with all the above mentioned companies (and agency), doing worldwide shipping of items worth many thousands of dollars...they all have faults, but some more than others.

* I grew so FedUp with one, that I persuaded our upper management to cease using them, and went over to the other, "big brown", except when I had to ship-to/receive-from vendors that preferred them (in Europe)... at least the European deliveries were reliable, more-so than locally in DFW. Receiving dozens of shipments a day, and often shipping the same number, we became aware of the growing ineptitude of the delivering agents, and even with computerized tracking, things would just disappear with no explanation. And, the FE company even falsified records concerning at least two very expensive machine parts, that were "signed for" by myself, when out of state for a week. That was the final straw for me, with them.

* It was not only using these companies professionally that I was having problems with, but also personally at home. So many items (and pieces of mail) have been mis-delivered or completely disappeared coming to my semi-rural address of 27 years, that I have customer service of all of them on speed dial, and have even spoken to upper-level managers of two of them, several times. Now retired, I stay at home all day, and know when deliveries are coming, and about what time they should be here. So, it amazes me when some tracked piece says "delivered", when I've been looking out the front window all day, with nary a truck going by.

* After awhile, I've managed to "train" local drivers to READ addresses, so I can now usually expect accuracy from UPS and USPS, with about 1/4 accuracy from FedEx, and so far, n/a deliveries from DHL, but when there's a driver change of routes, or replacements for the regulars on vacation, then everything goes missing for days. I've even gone to their truck dispatch docks to find items, and at UPS one time, my missing mail-order tire was sitting behind the door of the clerk's office for two days, before I got an upper management type to physically search for it. That's just one of dozens of incidences I've had.

* Amazon to the rescue!....I can't always control who will deliver my stuff to me, but I've recently had the most positive successes using Amazon Shipping (though there have been about a dozen errors on their part, over the years). They usually show where the truck is on an onscreen map, so I can go out to the street before the truck arrives! or, if I'm not home (rarely do I order something that will arrive to an empty house), they'll snap a photo of where they left the item. I like that. I now buy most of my stuff on Amazon (using Prime), because of that, and when deliveries go awry from their vendors (drop-shipped via another carrier), Amazon customer service will find it, re-deliver it, or re-order it within hours. They're on speed dial, too.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Bill n Robi » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:23 am

I agree with ya about the delivery services. We are the end of the earth so we are last to get packages on their daily run. Not that I care if they show up at 6PM but it is the 8PM drop off that sits outside overnight. Not like the dumb dog, who barks at everything all day , would wake me up....

One bright spot is Chewy. No only does it get here a day early but early in the afternoon and the guy always brings it up the steps - 3 boxes of canned dog food and 2 of cat food. My back appreciates it. Guy always laughs when I tell the dog to be quiet - "he's bring your food, don't scare him away!"
2015 T@G Max
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:16 am

We had a great mailman for years. He retired and then we got a horrible mailman. He got fired, I hope. Now we have another great mailperson. The people make the difference.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby Tom Horn » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:48 am

I do agree it has a lot to do with who you have on the final delivery end that helps get things to you right but also Iiving in Oklahoma vs living in an area of the country that has high populations also seems to make a difference for me. With most all carriers its not uncommon for me to get shipments a day earlier than scheduled to us. With any orders I have done I have noticed that if the order is shipped out of big cities you can guarantee it gets hung up. Orders that originate away from big city hubs get to me very quickly. I have an order of longbow material shipping out of Missouri this morning it should arrive Monday but I bet it will be on my porch when I get home from work tomorrow. It just seems like if you are in a heavy populated area or ordering from a heavy populated area you better not get in any hurry as they get hungup in those big hubs.
Tom Horn
Teardrop Advisor

Postby fredman1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:51 am

Not trying to defend the USPS necessarily, but let's say you have a box that is 3' x 3' x 3', and it is
full of balsa wood.
Sure, you can send it by 'weight', but the weight will be minimal, but you have to account for the
space that big box will take up in all routes.
fredman1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby scoopburt » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:22 pm

I was sending 20 ounces of candy to my daughter at camp. In a 8"x12" envelope. I do agree on size. You have to account for all factors.

scoopburt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:07 pm

I mailed a legal sized letter to an address 35 miles from me, it took about 2 weeks to arrive. Someone sent me a guitar pick guard from Arizona to Washington state that took almost 2 months to arrive. Think the Pony Express would have done a better job. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Bill n Robi » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:07 pm

I just found out that our new place is so far out that we get a free po box.
Got to drive by it anyway several times a week!!!
2015 T@G Max
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby gudmund » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:26 pm

so I order an item from the internet that will be shipped FedEx = when putting in the 'billing' address for the credit card info - the screen flashes "they don't deliver to PO Boxes" !! I than put in the 'shipping' address and the order is accepted and placed. I wait for the package and it never arrives to my house - days later, I go to the PO to pick up my mail as I regularly do and there is a 'delivery notice' slip in my PO box which I take to counter where the clerk than 'scolds' me for not using my PO Box address on the package when ordering = when I try to explain to her that it was suppose to have been delivered to my house with FedEx and being they 'DO NOT' deliver to PO Boxes, my question was "so than why was it delivered here to the PO?? !! she counter's with "this is 'YOUR' problem and 'YOU' need to straighten this out being "they" -the PO- are not going to be the one's to deal with it - and if it happens again - they will just sent it back - un-delivered !! I than asked - why was FedEx even allowed to deliver it here than?? With NO answer given, she left me standing there and walked away without answering........ Months later, it happens again - I go to the counter and end up having to speak to the same person - but now her comeback this time is 'there is a "easy" solution' to take care of this problem!! - she than writes down "their" 'Post Office' mailing street address location with my box ## in the address giving it to me to use as my shipping address now!! (damned if I do-damned if I don't) found out the reason for this = it is FedEx's way of saving a bit of fuel/time being I live on a dead-end island and to deliver to my house, they have to drive 14 miles to my place, than the same 14 back to get off the island = it's easier to just "deliver" it to the Post Office, that they "don't deliver to PO boxes" too........... thus saving time/fuel ............. :x :thinking: PS I applaud them for thinking of this time/cost saving method = just wish they had explained it to me before having to deal with "HER" at the PO counter !!.................(also glad it had been a shipped for 'FREE' item)
Last edited by gudmund on Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:31 pm

Sheeeeeesh.

I understand why Fedex doesn't put packages in USPS mailboxes. But then they don't deliver to your physical address... :shock:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:16 pm

Our FedEx and UPS service is spotty at best. Sometimes they can find the place, sometimes not (and, I understand, when they can't the drivers get chewed out). Sometimes the ground is dry and they can make it in their vehicle, sometimes muddy or snowy and they may or may not have 4 wd (and know how to use it).

Sometimes, they've delivered it to our post office. (We know our postal workers and they are all nice!)

When FedEx or UPS do find our place, sometimes they leave it in the mud, sometimes on the porch, sometimes on top of our sign, and once, in a plastic bag tied to a branch. Sometimes we find it before it rains or snows, sometimes...

Wish we had more choice of the delivery company on Amazon.

Our workaround is to deliver it to my wife's middle school. (Not as exciting as it sounds: She's dean of students.) That'll work until she retires at the end of the school year.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:16 pm

...Huh. Knock on wood, I've had great service from both UPS and USPS, including tracking service that gives me a good idea of where my package is at all times. I will agree that it is expensive and seems to be more so every year.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Off Topic