rotted wood on house

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

rotted wood on house

Postby Kim Armstrong » Sat May 30, 2020 11:37 am

Hope someone can help me out. I've got a 40's house that someone over the years put siding on and there is a leak around a window that has rotted out aboard. I've dug it out and going to replace it but was wondering if I should put something on the wood under there before I close it up? There is still some wood I can't get to. I know CPES has been mention on here and the MIX. I have never used either one. Is this something that might help? And what is THE MIX? Thank you for all help.
Kim Armstrong
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Re: rotted wood on house

Postby MtnDon » Sat May 30, 2020 1:34 pm

Before you button the wall up research the proper method to flash around the window. Shortcuts and guessing are what leads to most water damage around doors and windows. It might take years but it is almost inevitable if the wall is not assembled correctly. Your details are too vague and the proper solution may be more involved than we have space in this trailer forum.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Kim Armstrong » Sat May 30, 2020 6:21 pm

Thanks MtnDon This house was built in the 40's and doesn't have roof eves so the windows and doors don't get much protection. Was just checking if there was something other than fiberglassing the wood to stable it.
Kim Armstrong

Postby MtnDon » Sat May 30, 2020 6:50 pm

There are corrective things that are 2 part epoxies. The ones that work are usually expensive when needed in a large volume. I have not used any in many years. We got to where the only remedial work we would do was tear out the rot and replace it. 'Glassing over is just hiding the problem, IMO, and does not repair and structural problems there may be.

A lack of eves can exacerbate the water problem. There is often not a simple cheap solution. A proper exterior wall has overlapping layers that direct water that may leak into the wall to the outside. Old homes often have many deficiencies in that. If the home is that old does it have any wall insulation? If the structure is basically solid for the most part it may be worth doing a reside with new windows, doors and insulation finished off with new siding, stucco, whatever. It ends up saving energy costs and makes it worth more. But it needs to have good bones to begin with. Some don't and aren't worth a proper fix. In that case almost anything is better than nothing.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Kim Armstrong » Sun May 31, 2020 5:51 am

Thanks again Don. The house doesn't have insulation but overall it's a pretty solid house.Whoever put the siding on could have done better. We are retired and looking at moving. We have had the house 5 yrs just trying to fix things up. Thanks again.
Kim Armstrong

Return to Off Topic