Slow Cooker (Crock Pot) Hack

Anything electric, AC or DC

Slow Cooker (Crock Pot) Hack

Postby MtnDon » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:34 pm

I like slow cookers, or to use the trademarked name, Crock Pots. There is one thing that has irked me for a long time. Even on the low heat setting they run too hot for my likes. To my mind low should give a simmer; fluid in the pot should not boil. Virtually all slow cookers do this much of the time because they do not have a thermostat that turns the heater element off and on. The two or three heat settings simply vary the power of the element. The element stays powered 100% of the time. I say virtually all slow cookers because I did find two that do have temperature controls with a thermostat. However, they are high priced and 6 or 6 1/2 quart sizes. That's two big for two people. Hidden in the fine print in some of the slow cooker instructions it is noted that the cooker should never be used less than half full. Nor fuller than 3/4. That 1/2 full minimum explains some of the overcooking when trying to do smaller dinners in a large pot.

As a result of all that our slow cookers have not been used as much as we might like. That has now changed though! :)

Take one Chinese made temperature controller off ebay... <$15 There are literaly dozens of sellers. Some direct from China, some from US, some only in degrees Celsius and some in degrees Fahrenheit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120-110VAC-Fahr ... 1435311101

Add one aluminum project box, <$14 ...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250597864242?ru ... 26_rdc%3D1

Mix in a power outlet, a 2.5 MM jack and plug, a power cord and plug and voila!

We've used it three times so far now, and are happy with the performance. :)

The tip of the probe is not likely waterproof as it comes. I used heat shrink tubing to help with that. I do have some stainless steel tubing that I plan on using to form a tight fitting jacket for the probe. An alternate would be to buy a probe that is already waterproofed. Ebay has some listed. Probes for some digital meat and smoker thermometers can also be used.

Inside view...
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Slow Cooker (Crock Pot) Hack

Postby Bill n Robi » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:52 pm

Nice job. I agree that more control of the temperature is great. We have two large ones and make a lot of stuff at once, I use a light timer to turn off for an hour and back on for an hour during the over night cooking. We froze portions before but now that we are going tearing, I started to can things. Spaghetti sauce, refried beans, chili, lima beans and ham, pizza sauce are all stacked up and ready to go.

bill
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby Bill n Robi » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:55 pm

Oh god, forgot to add that Robi made crock pots at a ceramic factory in Ohio and has an award for the most error free and perfect pots for 2 years in a row.

Are you happy now, sweety?
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:36 am

Dazey Brands have (had?) a thermostatically (dial) controlled slow cooker/deep frier...Has metal deep fryer pot, with fry basket AND a ceramic/pottery insert for slow cooking..... Use cooking temperature probe (with wired thermal-couple) to check actual temps and just set control at temperature you want.... Dont know if they are still manufactured, but if you can find one...

http://www.popscreen.com/prod/MTgxMzA3M ... CP-6-Clean

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:00 am

I should have mentioned that the controller can be used in either a heat or a cool mode. Also some vendors sell it in a 12 volt version. That could be used to turn cooling fans on and off at a programmed temperature. The built in relay can handle up to 10 amps. Any higher loads would need a higher rated SSR (solid state relay) of the correct capacity.
Last edited by MtnDon on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jonw » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:13 am

I don't have one anymore (bought a Truckfridge) but this would be handy to have with a thermoelectric cooler which is always on...
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:04 am

Another option is a "thermal cooker". Basically a big thermos, you cook the food for 10 minutes on the stove, and leave it sealed for the rest of the day, the heat in the food continues to cook it all day. I haven't used one, but it's on my list to try.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Verna » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:21 am

I bought a Thermal Cooker for my snowbirding trip to AZ. I love it. The chili tasted like it had been in a crock pot all day. Easy to use when boondocking since it requires no electricity.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby kludge » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:49 am

MtnDon, I'm with you...

That's why I have two of the Hamilton Beach "Stay or Go" slow cookers with the "Warm" setting in addition to high and low.
kludge
Teardrop Master

Return to Electrical Secrets