Wiring without a diagram?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Wiring without a diagram?

Postby mustangcats » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:48 pm

I notice a lot of people post pictures of their wiring diagrams, with every connection, switch, outlet, etc. listed on the drawing. I suppose they then use this as a "road map" to run their wiring. Not me...I just ran the wires to where they needed to be. I have identified every circuit on the "fuse box" though. So how many of you did it my way...and just ran with it? I never spend much time drawing things out on paper because I always have said that things look good on paper but never work in the real world. ;)
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Re: Wiring without a diagram?

Postby pchast » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:56 pm

I did. BUT i took pictures of all wire runs in th e camper before covering.
Now they can be found if ever needed.
:D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:05 pm

I made a diagram and took pictures and even color coordinated everything. I have found it all very helpful. I've been traipsing around in MyAway for 5 years, now, and my memory has faded some about how I did things. The pictures and diagrams reinforce my old memory. Now, where'd I put my cane and glasses! 8)

PS. I should also mention that, while not a diagram, I took pictures of my last two homes, when they were being built and put them in albums, adding to them as I improved or changed things. Those pictures, especially for my current home, have proved to be invaluable! I have often referred back to the pictures for the electrical scheme...wouldn't want to accidentally hammer a nail or screw through an electrical wire or something!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Padilen » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:41 pm

No diagram for me, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby troubleScottie » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:24 am

For many, the circuits are very simple and probably do not need a diagram. However, a little bit of planning ( a pencil and literally the back of envelope ) can save some headaches in the future. As the complexity goes up, so does the need for design drawings. I have lots of designs which are missing needed wires.

I have noticed a some people are building the TD with almost no plans. I am no where near that brave.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby Camp4Life » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:13 am

I've done small things without diagrams, but I almost always make one up just for my own record keeping and so that I don't have to rely on my own bad memory :lol:

It also helps me to look at it logically, see the big picture, and see if there's something I'm missing, something I can improve, and where I can add future expandability... I like to future-proof my projects.

On the flip side of things, once everything is wired up, and before closing it all up and covering the wiring, it's nice to take note of, or take pictures of exactly where all the wires are. So in the future if I want to add something, even if it's not electrical, I can be certain that I won't accidentally drill through, or put a screw through some wiring.

:beer:
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby m.colley » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:23 am

I did mine like you did. I knew where I wanted things, I roughed in my wire runs back to my converter location. The only reason I had any issues was I decided at the last minute to change my converter location.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby Padilen » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:29 am

Of course now I want more 110 and 12 volt receptacles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets