Predator vs Powerboss 2k Inverter Generators?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Predator vs Powerboss 2k Inverter Generators?

Postby daveesl77 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:23 am

So I have found myself in a bit of a quandry. I presently have the little 800 watt HF 2 cycle generator. We are going camping in a week or so for a couple of weeks, and where we are going (West Virginia) the NFS campgrounds have limited electric available. I decided to buy the 2000 watt HF Predator inverter gennie, as I could get it for $399 with coupon code. Did the online order thing and found out the next day that it was on supposedly permanent back order. I cancelled the order. I then found the Powerboss 2000 by Briggs and Stratton for $399 from HD. Ordered it. The Powerboss is supposed to arrive tomorrow, Wednesday. Now I get an update, HF shipped the Predator and it is supposed to be here Friday. I only want one.

Here is my problem, the online reviews I found for the Powerboss, after careful comparisons, seem to be for a different generator than what I ordered. The one I ordered does not have eco mode, does not have 12v output and cannot be set in parallel. The Predator has all of those things. What reviews I found on the PB on the Home Depot site are pretty good. The PB has a 2 year warranty, the Predator has 90 days (but I think I can buy an extended warranty for up to 2 years). The Predator has hundreds and hundreds of reviews, and for the most part are very good.

I cannot afford a Honda or Yamaha, I want something that is fairly lightweight (both of those are), and are hopefully fairly quiet. So, who has these gennies and what do you think of yours? Would you keep the Powerboss or the Predator? Price is essentially the same with both, unless I buy the extended warranty (if available) for the Predator, then it goes higher.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Re: Predator vs Powerboss 2k Inverter Generators?

Postby daveesl77 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:12 am

Got the Powerboss in and decided to return it, unopened, to Home Depot. I did not like the idea that Briggs and Stratton did not even list that generator on their website (but did have the manual for it). No problem at all doing a return/refund, just took it to a local store. The Predator is supposed to be delivered today, so I'll set it up, test it out this weekend and hopefully it will be ready to go for next week. Will report back when trip is complete.

dave

daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:15 am

daveesl77 wrote:Got the Powerboss in and decided to return it, unopened, to Home Depot. I did not like the idea that Briggs and Stratton did not even list that generator on their website (but did have the manual for it). No problem at all doing a return/refund, just took it to a local store. The Predator is supposed to be delivered today, so I'll set it up, test it out this weekend and hopefully it will be ready to go for next week. Will report back when trip is complete.

dave
Just get the 2 year warranty on the Predator. HF equipment is not known for great quality, but a good trade off for price. They do seem to honor thier warranties well; however. Let us know how it does on your trip. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:07 pm

Got the new Harbor Freight Predator 2000 watt inverter generator in today and so far I am very, very impressed. Doing its initial break-in run. I initially ran it for about 30 minutes with no load, at high idle. Then turned on the "eco mode", which dramatically drops the idle speed and adjusts the generator speed to match the load. WOW. It is so quiet in eco. After about 30 minutes of this at no load, I began adding in loads by plugging in the camper.
1) Battery charger - no change in engine speed or noise level.
2) BC plus small fan - no change.
3) BC, F and then dorm fridge at highest setting. It idled up to fire up the compressor, but then dropped back down again.
4) Next I fired up all of the above and added in the 5,000 btu window air conditioner running on high. Slight speed up during compressor start then running on a slightly higher idle.
5) Fired up the ice maker and while it did load the generator on its initial start up, the total load (Fridge, AC, Battery Charger, Fan and Ice Maker) was still about 20% below rated max for the gennie (1630 watts shown). After initial start, power consumption dropped to about 600 watts total, this is 3 compressors running at maximum plus other stuff.

Other than the small microwave we carry, that is pretty much every single thing we have in the camper that is 120 volt. Now starting a "fuel run test". Filled it with 1 gallon of gas and will run it with everything on in the camper, other than the window ac, and see how long a gallon lasts. Not using the AC on this test, as it isn't installed an was just running on my porch. Not a good test, as it would never cycle off doing it that way.

Wow, wow, wow. It is above a low idle and the noise level is extremely low, with the main camper systems running (no ac). Low as in I can stand next to it, talk in a normal voice and the conversation is perfectly clear.

Now we shall see if it can take the long run, but so far I am very impressed. Oh, and it cost a bit over 1/3 the cost of a Honda - $424 total, delivered, including tax and shipping.

dave

daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:09 pm

Nice report ... thank you!
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:18 pm

If it continues to really make you happy, after the break-in period figure out how to convert to propane (dual fuel even better)

No worries about having to drain the tank for off-season and you'll get many more hundreds of running hours.

Keep an eye on that model getting discontinued, if so grab a spare to really get your value out of the conversion kit.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets