Inverter Generator for Figidaire 5000btu ac only

Anything electric, AC or DC

Inverter Generator for Figidaire 5000btu ac only

Postby Luke WL. » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:26 pm

It seems that everyone is much more complicated than I want to get. My trailer has a small power strip wired in already and the only thing I want to do is run my AC window unit and charge my cell phone and laptop at night. I suck with anything electrical so I am content with that. My question is, if I get a Honda EU2200i will this be enough to run it? Also, can I just get an extension chord to run from the generator to the external plug on my trailer and im good to go? Lastly, do most campsites have a regular 110v outlet I can plug into instead of generator while im at esablished sites? Most of my time is spent off grid hunting but for the road portions of trips it would be great. Thanks!
Luke WL.
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Inverter Generator for Figidaire 5000btu ac only

Postby John61CT » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:57 pm

Yes yes and yes.

Some aircons require a softstart capacitor but with 5k btu yiu should be OK
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Bill n Robi » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Many camp sites have 50/30 amp sockets, get an adapter for the three prong cord. You should get a surge protector and use it on campground power and I also use mine on the generator. You will also need to make a Neutral/Ground shunt to tie your generator's ground to the neutral so your ground fault outlets will work in case of a short circuit.

My Yamaha 2400i runs same AC, charges two batteries, TV and lights with no issues. However, if you plan on running yours at night you might have an issue with campground rules. AND make sure the exhaust is far enough away to prevent CO poisoning. I have mine converted to propane for that reason, exhaust is water and CO2 so I can lock it to my tongue.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby H.A. » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:46 pm

o need to make a Neutral/Ground shunt to tie your generator's ground to the neutral so your ground fault outlets will work in case of a short circuit
You wont need to, Ground Fault Receptacles dont need grounded neutral or grounding conductor to work. Its common misconception.

GFCI simply compare outbound current to match return current. If more than 6mA difference, GFCI switches off both conductors.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:18 pm

Some campgrounds have rules about running generators at night, exactly when you want your air conditioning... Not an issue when you are plugged into shore power, but several National Park campgrounds I've stayed in had no shore power, and had 10PM cut off for running generators.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Bill n Robi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:53 pm

H.A. wrote:
o need to make a Neutral/Ground shunt to tie your generator's ground to the neutral so your ground fault outlets will work in case of a short circuit
You wont need to, Ground Fault Receptacles dont need grounded neutral or grounding conductor to work. Its common misconception.

GFCI simply compare outbound current to match return current. If more than 6mA difference, GFCI switches off both conductors.

You could be correct but mine did not work but I also did not pass voltage with the open neutral thru my surge protector so for safety and the lady I camp with total paranoid electrical peace of mind, $2 was worth it.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets