Newbie - simple electric diagram. Am I missing anything?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Newbie - simple electric diagram. Am I missing anything?

Postby PitterPatter » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:51 am

I'm simply planning to run two lights, a fan and USB charger. Does this map look OK? Should there be a fuse between the battery and the BUS? If so, what type?

Anything else I'm missing?

I'm planning to charge the battery at home before our trips. And maybe ad solar in the future.

Thanks
PitterPatter
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Newbie - simple electric diagram. Am I missing anything?

Postby Sparksalot » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:31 am

Yes, on the fuse at the battery. That’s an absolute must have. The usb doesn’t really need a switch, unless you just want to. Both of your lights will be controlled by the one switch.

Fir Rose I have two cabin and two porch lights. Each one has a switch for flexibility.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby saltydawg » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:09 am

I would put a switch on the usb, they normally have a power use even if they are not charging.

As for the fuse, if its anything besides a lifepo4 then use have a fuse. Why no fuse on a lifepo4 ( i do have one and a fuse too ) is the bms has a built in circuit breaker that will shut it off is there is a short.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby TimC » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:20 am

In your diagram it looks like you have a plug at the wall to disconnect your battery. If not a plug or it is hard to access it might be helpful to use a main power kill switch between your battery and the fuse block. Not necessary, but will come in handy if you install more devices down stream that use phantom power. My lights have a small LED light in them to find the built in switch in the dark. I don't want them burning all the time. Many switches also have LEDs to light your way in the dark.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby PitterPatter » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:52 am

Sparksalot wrote:Yes, on the fuse at the battery. That’s an absolute must have. The usb doesn’t really need a switch, unless you just want to. Both of your lights will be controlled by the one switch.

Fir Rose I have two cabin and two porch lights. Each one has a switch for flexibility.

I've been wondering if I put a fuse between the battery and the connect plug, do I need that junction FuseBUS?
Thanks
PitterPatter
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PitterPatter » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:18 pm

Here's the update
PitterPatter
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sparksalot » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:51 pm

trailzy wrote:
Sparksalot wrote:Yes, on the fuse at the battery. That’s an absolute must have. The usb doesn’t really need a switch, unless you just want to. Both of your lights will be controlled by the one switch.

I've been wondering if I put a fuse between the battery and the connect plug, do I need that junction FuseBUS?
Thanks

“Need?” No, but you’re going to want that to make changes later. Over her life I’ve doubled the number of circuits installed. Having the blue sea fuse block was immensely helpful.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets