Hatch wiring question

Anything electric, AC or DC

Hatch wiring question

Postby Mary K » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:08 pm

Okay, I have this idea about having a wiring connector mounted to the top inside of the hatch with all the wiring that is in the hatch i.e. stop/turn signals license plate light, power to hatch lights and 2 speakers. The plug to it would be on a pigtail coming from the galley cabinet face.

Here.....

I want a connector that MOUNTS so that it is ridged...like a plug on the back of the computer...but for bigger wire. Anyone know what male/female connector I can use?

Thanks

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Micro469 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:15 pm

Good call Mary.....I'm looking for somewthing like that too. I was looking at 7 pin trailer plugs, but they seem a little bulky. I'll be interested to see what others on the forum find.... :D
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby madjack » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:33 pm

...we did the same...used a 6pin square connector...about an inch across each side...worked wonderfully well and should be available at most anypace that sells electrical goodies.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Podunkfla » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:51 pm

I have used 4 wire Molex connectors for lights on motorcycles a few times. They work just fine... and I have lots of 'em, so they are free.

But, I think one of the 6 or 7 wire trailer plugs would be better... and they are only a few bucks. Some are not too bulky:
http://www.lowcosttrailersupplies.com/t ... cal-8.html
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:51 pm

madjack wrote:...we did the same...used a 6pin square connector...about an inch across each side...worked wonderfully well and should be available at most anypace that sells electrical goodies.....
madjack 8)

:D Hey MJ---got pics. 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mary K » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:07 am

Yup, Radio Shack has these
Male

Female

But, it can not be mounted in the hatch skin. It's cheap though, its called an Interlocking Connector. http://www.radioshack.com/family/index. ... 58.2032231

I found these on McMaster-Carr

Female Recpt

Male plug

These are COOL!! but Expensive ( http://www.mcmaster.com page 738 if you are interested)

I guess the trailer plugs a bit bulky..but cheaper :thinking:

Any more options????

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:39 am

...sorry don't havva pic or it would have already been posted...what I used is very similar to what MK shows...picked it up, prewired from either Auto Zone or a local camper supply sales place...don't remember which....the wire came out of the wiring chase...encased inna loom...to the connector...the other side...inna loom...went to a hole in the side of a hatch rib and into the wire chase on the hatch...worked great, allowing the hatch to be easily removed by unplugging the harness......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ken A Hood » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:21 am

You mean something like these? I've seen them on eBay, and know of one seller (in Canada) who has sold them in the past. And a quick look on eBay and I've found another seller (also in Canada) selling them for $6.95 plus shipping [$4.00 for the 1st; $2.00 for each additional one]
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:34 am

You may want to look for "Connectors" on either of these sites...

They have automotive styles, trailer styles and misc. electronics styles... Literally dozens of options presented....

http://www.waytekwire.com/
https://www.delcity.net/

In fact almost everything electrical a TD builder may need...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:05 pm

Mary, let me know if you can't find what you need. We use connectors like you mention. They have a flange with 4 screw holes to mount solid and have from 2 - 30 wire positions. These are heavy duty metal connectors. I may be able to find you a supplier and part number.
Something like this
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Brian McAllister » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:14 pm

You might look at Jones Plugs and Sockets. Here is a catalog page from one outfit that sells them.

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/catalogs/c272/P158.pdf
Brian McAllister
Sarasota Florida
Brian McAllister
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:30 pm

Mary, I don't know if this is what your after but it worked for me. I bought two 4 pin trailer pigtails in the 6 foot length at Walmart, one male, one female. I used one to connect to the 4 wires for lights on my 7 pin wiring harness and used the other one to wire the hatch for lights. After the hatch was installed it was a simple matter of plugging the two together. I wrapped the wires with automotive electrical tape to protect the wires. Worked like a charm. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Mary K » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:33 pm

Thanks everyone! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I knew there were other choices. I will post pics when I get-er-done!!

Mk
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets