Electrical System Wiring Help

Anything electric, AC or DC

Electrical System Wiring Help

Postby Kankujoe » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:20 am

The first week in July my wife & I plan on spending 9 days traveling & living in our cargo conversion TTT. Before then I'd like to have my trailer's electrical system working.

The more I read about Converters/Inverters/3 Stage/Deep Cycle/Fuse Panels/Breaker Boxes, etc... the more confused I get. I'm not sure what equipment or parts to purchase. What's overkill? What addresses reasonable safety issues?

What I need is the "complete idiots guide to wiring my trailer cabin."

If someone can help me by outlining simple steps, suggestions for basic electrical hardware purchases, etc... I would be extremely grateful.

Here's what I'd like to be able to do.

Most of the time I expect to run solely on DC current without a shoreline hookup. I plan on running the following 12V equipment:
*porch light
*dome light(s)
*2 reading lights
*2 DC outlets to charge/run laptop computer/iPod/cellphone
*2 exhaust/oscillating fans

Most significantly I need help in having the ability to:
*charge trailer battery from AC hook up (when/where available)
*charge trailer battery from tow vehicle's DC electrical system while in transit

What size converter/charger do I need? (12 or 25 amp)
What size/type of deep cycle battery do I need? (amp hours)

I would also like a very simple AC setup into the trailer to one recepticle/powerstrip to occasionally power a small microwave, small oscillating fan, radio, ceramic heater?... I don't believe I need AC duplex outlets throughout the cabin, just a power strip/extension cord to the appropriate appliance for occasional use.

Finally I would like the safety issues addressed such as: breakers, fuses, gfci, etc...

If I missed anything please add that to what I would need.

Thanks,
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby bledsoe3 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:33 am

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:15 am

If you want to keep it simple, you can wire the trailer for DC and not install any AC circuits at all. If you need to charge th battery when an AC source is available, use a regular outboard automotive battery charger.

For a DC only setup, you want to put a main cutoff right at the battery, followed by the main fuse. Then you should fuse each circuit individually. I used this fuse/distribution block made by Blue Sea for my trailer, I bought it at www.boatersworld.com
It is a little spendy but it makes wiring a lot easier. You connect a main wire from the battery to the + and - terminals of the block. Each circuit is split up and you run the wires to each load/switch.

asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby DougH » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:44 pm

That is a nice looking distribution block. I only plan on a DC system with a dome and a couple of reading lights (plus maybe a porch). That seems like an easy setup.
DougH
Teardrop Master

Postby Kankujoe » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:29 pm

asianflava wrote:I used this fuse/distribution block made by Blue Sea for my trailer, I bought it at www.boatersworld.com
It is a little spendy but it makes wiring a lot easier. You connect a main wire from the battery to the + and - terminals of the block. Each circuit is split up and you run the wires to each load/switch.

Thanks for the link. I have to decide if I want a 6 circut or 12 circut block. I'm leaning toward the 12 circut.

I still want to be able to charge my trailer battery with my tow vehicle & also using a shoreline. I have found a converter/charger for the AC hookup. But I'm still not clear on what I need to charge from my tow vehicle.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Kankujoe » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:32 pm

bledsoe3 wrote:I would start here.
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... sc&start=0

Thanks for the link. I've been busy reading through this thread and a few others.
Joe

Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby asianflava » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:34 am

Kankujoe wrote:Thanks for the link. I have to decide if I want a 6 circut or 12 circut block. I'm leaning toward the 12 circut.

I got the 12 circuit unit, I a few of them that aren't hooked up. I don't remember how much of a price difference there is, but it gives you room to add a circuit later on with minimal fuss.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby brian_bp » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:13 pm

Kankujoe wrote:...I still want to be able to charge my trailer battery with my tow vehicle & also using a shoreline. I have found a converter/charger for the AC hookup. But I'm still not clear on what I need to charge from my tow vehicle.

Fortunately, you don't need much in the trailer. The charge line in a 7-pin connector from the tug just connects directly to the trailer battery, and the tug's charging system takes care of the rest. You might want to be careful about what happens if the shore power is connected at the same time as a running tug, but that's a bizarre combination...

The only complication is that the tug should have a relay or isolator, as shown in that other thread.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets