Novice Question - 4 Prong Tow Vehicle Harness Hook Up

Anything electric, AC or DC

Novice Question - 4 Prong Tow Vehicle Harness Hook Up

Postby PresTx82 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:42 pm

I need to wire in a "4 prong harness" to my 1999 JEEP Grand Cherokee. I know I need to attach the brown wire to the tail light, the green to the right turn light and the yellow to the left turn light; my question is what is the best way to do it and where should I acces those wires in my tow vehicle (JEEP).

I pulled off the right rear tailight, but I don't recognize the color coding.
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby SteveH » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:22 pm

Mark,

I haven't been under a Jeep, but most vehicles have a wiring harness under the back that comes from the front of the vehicle to power the tail lights, power the fuel pump, signal wire for the fuel guage, etc. Anyway, that's where I usually tap into the system for trailer lights.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby PresTx82 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:03 pm

Thanks for the info.

Is there any good way to detect which wire goes to which light? I've read on here that someone stuck a pin in each wire and hooked it up to a voltmeter, but didn't want to go that route. Any suggestions?

I just reconditoned a boat trailer rewiring it, and all that's left is to wire up the JEEP and conduct some tests! :worship:
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:54 pm

When I used to install stereo, we had a probe that had a sliding hook and a pin type arrangement. You would hook the wire and it woud capture the wire so you can slide the pin into the insulation. You could do the same manually but you have to be careful not to stab yourself.

If the back of the bulb socket is exposed, you miy be able to jam the probes in thru there.

You could also disconnect the tail lights at their plug and probe them from inside the plug socket.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Re: Novice Question - 4 Prong Tow Vehicle Harness Hook Up

Postby Joanne » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:11 pm

PresTx82 wrote:I need to wire in a "4 prong harness" to my 1999 JEEP Grand Cherokee. I know I need to attach the brown wire to the tail light, the green to the right turn light and the yellow to the left turn light; my question is what is the best way to do it and where should I acces those wires in my tow vehicle (JEEP).

I pulled off the right rear tailight, but I don't recognize the color coding.

Here's how I usually do it.

I go down to the local parts place and ask if they have a trailer wiring harness for my vehicle. Usually they have one that plugs into the existing harness without having to probe and splice into wires. As popular as Jeeps are, I'll bet they have one. I found one for my Isuzu Trooper and that surprised me.

It was less than $20 and it saved me more than that in time (and not having to spend hours under the truck!)

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Dale M. » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:17 pm

PresTx82 wrote:Thanks for the info.

Is there any good way to detect which wire goes to which light? I've read on here that someone stuck a pin in each wire and hooked it up to a voltmeter, but didn't want to go that route. Any suggestions?

I just reconditoned a boat trailer rewiring it, and all that's left is to wire up the JEEP and conduct some tests! :worship:

Take a tour on line (to trailer wiring suppliers) and see if there is a factory made wiring harness. It could be the 4 prong connector will not work from tow vehicle.I t may require a converter to get stop and turn signal l lamp functions to play fair. IF your Jeep has a different bulb for stop or turn signal then you need something more than a 4 prong on Jeep or a converter.

Neighbors Jeep had a connector for "tow harness" behind left side lamp housing.

http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/electri ... _jeep.html
http://www.jeepworld.com/accessories/wr ... ailerh.htm
http://www.accessconnect.com/trailerwiring.htm

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby PresTx82 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:44 pm

Thanks for all the great information.

My JEEP is not "tow ready", so I have to go in and splice away ........ :shock: I'm learning so I'll figure it out sooner or later. I have to leave this weekend with the trailer and boat, so I hope I have everything road worthy by then. I'll be towing the boat from California back to El Paso, TX.

I'm checking numerous "Do It Yourself" websites looking for the answer to my question. When I find it, I'll let you all know! Thanks for the suggestions....! :thumbsup:
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby Dale M. » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:03 pm

PresTx82 wrote:Thanks for all the great information.

My JEEP is not "tow ready", so I have to go in and splice away ........ :shock: I'm learning so I'll figure it out sooner or later. I have to leave this weekend with the trailer and boat, so I hope I have everything road worthy by then. I'll be towing the boat from California back to El Paso, TX.

I'm checking numerous "Do It Yourself" websites looking for the answer to my question. When I find it, I'll let you all know! Thanks for the suggestions....! :thumbsup:

When you say not "tow ready" do you mean there is not a connector somewhere on harness to extend lighting to trailer connector near hitch.... Or that wiring was just not extended out yet?

By the way what model JEEP?

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:42 pm

Mark, virtually all vehicles of that type have a ready made wiring hook up for towing...here is a link to the application guide
http://www.etrailerpart.com/litemate.htm
...for $20.95-plug and play is a lot simpler...you should be able to find this product locally at a NAPA or other auto/truck parts store.......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Dale M. » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:45 am

madjack wrote:Mark, virtually all vehicles of that type have a ready made wiring hook up for towing...here is a link to the application guide
http://www.etrailerpart.com/litemate.htm
...for $20.95-plug and play is a lot simpler...you should be able to find this product locally at a NAPA or other auto/truck parts store.......
madjack 8)

More specifically............

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/p-1624-ta32515.aspx

For 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Obviously its going to be more complicated than poking a pin in a few wires and finding right one to connect to...

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:53 am

Dale, I tried to post that same link...if you click it, you will find it doesn't go where ya thought it would.......... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Dale M. » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:48 pm

Oops....... Wrong year model of Cherokee.... Sorry....

Should be:

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/p-1622-ta32465.aspx

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby PresTx82 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:59 pm

:thumbsup: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! :applause:

I wasn't versed in the JEEP electrical system, but went to the JEEP forum and was directed to where I could download some wiring diagrams and self-help wiring directions and then once locating where the harness was, I took MadJack's advice regarding the "plug and play" harness; went to NAPA and picked one up. NAPA has a great "AAA" discount off merchandise if you ask for it.

Anyway, the JEEP and trailer are completely functionable and road worthy. When it gets a little cooler this evening I'll be painting my trailer ..!

Again, thanks for the advice to get me looking in the right direction. :thumbsup:
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby Dale M. » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:19 pm

Yaaahhhh.....

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:21 pm

...plug and play is the way... :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: :applause: ............. 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Electrical Secrets