Converting a 110V TTT to 12V

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Elumia » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:54 pm

If the lighting and outlets are by chance on separate circuits, keep the outlets 110. Convert all your lighting to 12V. convert pump to 12V. Add a converter (which is also a battery charger) to run everything when plugged in. Add any 12V oultets you may need. When you can't plug in you will have lights and water. If remote, you could either use a generator to recharge the battery or solar.
This would give you the best of both worlds.

Check your wire sizes to make sure they can handle the new loads.

Mark
Elumia
500 Club

Postby brian_bp » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:27 pm

I like Mark's plan. There's no benefit to having AC lights, but there is to having AC outlets available when camped with shore power.

On the other hand, if the circuits are not appropriately separated, that's no big deal, since a power bar on an extension cord can be the not-built-in AC system.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fornesto » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:05 am

Well, I got the trailer and immediately tore into the electrical. There was a 110 panel in the bathroom, with three breakers. I removed the entire panel, leaving the wires sticking out of the wall. I set aside the main power source line to the outside plug-in. I'll remove the plug shortly. I installed the 12V panel from West Marine that I never got around to putting in the teardrop and wired each of the three lines to a separate circuit, and pulled a + and ground line out of the box to go to the battery. Final location of the battery is to be determined shortly. Now, I'm shopping for fixtures to replace the current 110 fixtures.

Anybody recall where the best interior LED fixtures are?
fornesto
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets