Be careful around your batteries!!

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby TomS » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:12 pm

These battery debates are enough to make my head spin ... :?

I mounted an Optima sealed AGM batttery in ny galley. It is my understanding that this battery is will not leak or outgas unless I severly over charge it.

To that end, I also mounted a Deltran charger. This is a multi-stage voltage regulated charger that will not overcharge my battery.

At the time, I read several posts here that made me wonder if I wasted my money buying an expensive battery and charger. After a year and a half-dozen trips, my electrical system functions OK. The battery has not leaked and I have had no exposions. We've camped up to one week without rechargng.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby angib » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:48 pm

Outgassing of batteries and the risk of explosion seem to be a relatively recent concern - for many years batteries inside closed spaces like trailers and boats were not considered a serious risk. Of course, many of those trailers and boats also had propane in them and I wonder how many, or if any, of those 'gas/propane explosions' that occasionally occurred were actually battery gas.

I am not yet convinced that batteries need to be treated as carefully as is now recommended - and I'm pretty certain that carrying a portable propane stove is at least as great a risk, yet no-one suggests containing them in vented compartments.

I can see the sense in not putting a battery inside the sleeping compartment but to be concerned about putting it in a galley that is open to the elements when in use, seems to me more like paranoia! If anyone has some definitive information, I'd love to see it.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby apratt » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:15 pm

angib wrote:Outgassing of batteries and the risk of explosion seem to be a relatively recent concern - for many years batteries inside closed spaces like trailers and boats were not considered a serious risk. Of course, many of those trailers and boats also had propane in them and I wonder how many, or if any, of those 'gas/propane explosions' that occasionally occurred were actually battery gas.

I am not yet convinced that batteries need to be treated as carefully as is now recommended - and I'm pretty certain that carrying a portable propane stove is at least as great a risk, yet no-one suggests containing them in vented compartments.

I can see the sense in not putting a battery inside the sleeping compartment but to be concerned about putting it in a galley that is open to the elements when in use, seems to me more like paranoia! If anyone has some definitive information, I'd love to see it.

Andrew

Andrew, I am with you on this. Of all the years I been around batteries, I have not seen any serious problem. I be more concern with propane.
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby kayakrguy » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:58 pm

Aha! Paranoid eh? So what? who isn't?

OK, seriously (maybe) I think Propane is just as serious a risk as battery gas is, no, check that more of a risk. I do think proper maintenece and proper venting minimizes the risk from each.

But it is salutary to have an occassional warning about battery 'etiquette' for those of us who may not know such stuff or have been complacent.
I think people like Tom S shouldn't worry because they WILL be diligent.

People like me who lift the hood of the car and wonder what all that 'gunk' is on the battery post need a bit of a k*** in the a***. Absolutely no harm is a salutary warning like WP's.

So am I paranoid? Of course not, you commie finks!

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby WarPony » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:22 pm

TomS wrote:These battery debates are enough to make my head spin ...

I'm not calling out TomS on this at all.............

when I posted this topic I didn't want to start a big debate on brand loyalty or where you put it in your build but more of a "friendly reminder"............ if there is something that looks funny around the terminals, take care of it and see what may be causing the problem.

Maybe I should've titled this "Battery Maintence" instead. BE CAREFUL......... weather it be in your camper build or your personal vehicle(s).
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:12 pm

I'm in the process of deciding where to put my battery, too. I'm leaning toward putting it in a battery-box on the trailer toungue.

My concern with having it inside is leaking, mostly. Plus, it takes up valuable space. And, if a battery box is strong, and ventilated, even if the batery blows, the energy of the explosion should escape through the vents just fine. But, you may still have a mess to deal with. I'd rather the mess be outside, I think.

I've had two Miatas, which come with AGM bateries in the trunk. I'd be more likely to put the battery inside with and AGM, than a wet cell sloshing around. You still have to be careful when charging. Miata batteries lasted a long time, as long as you didn't try to quick charge one.

G

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:18 pm

TomS wrote:I mounted an Optima sealed AGM batttery in ny galley.

Which did you go with? The have a marine/RV battery, and a Commercial (Yellow Top) that looks interesting.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby WarPony » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:21 pm

CD, I bought a cheap ($45) deep cycle battery for mine. I think it is a Group 24 size. I have had no trouble with it at all. Don't overthink the battery too much. If you want to run some lights and a small computer fan for ventilation, the 24 will be plenty.

I would warn you about trying to run too much stuff off of it, though. I can't tell you how much time I pi$$ed away figuring watts, voltage, amps, wire size................... :x

I WILL put a hearty :thumbsup: for the Deltran Battery Tender Plus battery charger. I love it for my needs!!
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby WarPony » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:36 pm

caseydog wrote:I'm in the process of deciding where to put my battery, too. I'm leaning toward putting it in a battery-box on the trailer toungue.............

Oh, yeah..... I'd put it in a battery box. I have a tongue box and the battery is inside a plastic battery box. If some acid spills it will be contained in the battery box and not on anything else......... hopefully :worship: .
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Tripmaker » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:36 pm

Hmmmm..although some of the discussion got heated, the information is good for us novices. I put my battery box on the tongue because I was concerned about gassing and venting. I had been considering moving it into the galley to reduce tongue weight (presently 165 lbs.) but this thread is telling me to leave it on the tongue where it is well vented. Thanks everyone.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby rbeemer » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:00 pm

Tripmaker,

If you want to reduce your tongue weight then I woulld put some heavier stuff behind the axle, If I remember right DO are pretty heavy and 5 gal of water usually weigh in at 40lbs
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets