3 month stretch - boondocking mostly - need help with power

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:36 pm

I agree, the elim... gens sound pretty cool. Not having a generator I have nothing to compare to. Reading most of those replies makes a guy think the elims would be worth buying. They put out the power you need and because of the low price if they crap the bed, just buy a new one. The low noise level is pretty good selling feature also.

Hey thanks for the help with my delema. Dwayne

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:00 pm

Wait a minute!!! I would like to extend that thanks to everyone else that gave me advice too.. Sorry about that guys.

I have been listening to you all since I started my TD in MAY '06. Most of the time someone has always asked a question that I had. I have tweaked my TD many times.

I downloaded the free Benroy plans, but I tweaked the way I thought would look preety cool. The front is a double radius that is tight like the lower radious of the superlegera with a flat spot in the middle of the front. I added 16 inches in the length to a 4x8 foot 3/4 ply for each side. I used the hatch idea from the Benroy plan. Ther is a door on the passenger side with a window. There is a 16" x 32" tempered glass on the drivers side. Both windows have a piano hinge on the top. The skin on top is dbl layer 1/4 inch ply with 3/4" pine layed flat in between them.

I just finished with a box in the front on the tongue. Cutting the curve was trying.

Hopefully I can talk my wife into putting picts on for you all. Dwayne

Postby madjack » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:59 pm

...talk to the wife and talk hard....you owe us pics BIG TIME... :D :lol: ;) ......................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bdosborn » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:15 pm

dpl wrote:The golf cart or deepcycle battery definitly. Dumb question - can I put them in the front box with the 10 lb propane tank if I put a partion between them and put air vents on the outside walls? Solar panels are out of the equation now. 2 reliable sources,in my area, told me there is a huge back order. Germany and California are buying as many as are made. When they become available they will be expensive.

People have done exactly that, put the battery and propane in the tongue box with dividers and venting with no problems. Just make sure you don't overload your tongue with all that weight. The golf cart batteries weigh about 70# each. Your friends are right, there is a backorder on solar panels but they are still available in limited sizes. I got my Kyocera 85W panel about 3 months ago from:

http://www.rvsolarelectric.com/shop.htm

Nice people to deal with. But, be prepared to spend about $6/watt for a good panel. Now that I've used it awhile I'm glad I didn't get a smaller one. The 85W does a good job of recharging the battery every day when there is full sun. But it doesn't help much on a cloudy day. I have a Kipor 1000w generator as a backup. They were pretty cheap for awhile and almost as quiet as the Honda. They've gone up a lot in the last couple of months. Ebay is also a good place to look for cheaper generators.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

trip finished

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:15 am

http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/Albu ... _=56536391 I've been trying to get a picture of the trailer for you guys. This is the best that my wife and I can come up with. I ended up living in the trailer for 5 weeks. Then I gave it to my son and his girlfriend as a christmas gift from my wife and I.

I used a 10x10 canopy with a tarp or tent attached to it depending were I was. I could only stay at any of the campsites 2 weeks at a time. Some would alow a canopy thing but not a tent. Some were okay with the tent.

After this picture I built the box in the front that held a small propane tank and a 400 watt Husky inverter/battery charger thing my wife had bought.

Thanks again for all the advice and having this forum available.

Postby duey » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:21 pm

Hello everyone, the above guest is me dpl. I screwed up changing my e-mail address and dpl wasw denied access. so I changed my name.

Dwayne
duey
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:22 pm

Welcome back Dwayne...

Sorry you had to start back at message one. If you would have emailed me sooner, I'm sure we could have gotten you back up and running.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Joseph » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:27 am

Well, I'm several months late and several dollars short, but I limited my electrical to 12 volt which can be re-charged from my truck so I can boondock indefinitely.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby duey » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:13 pm

Thanks mike,
Its all good. I'm glad you guys have this site. Hey, did you all see the picture of my teardrop. Its in the guest note above Mikes last note.
Dwayne
duey
Teardrop Inspector

Postby asianflava » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:17 pm

Joseph wrote:Well, I'm several months late and several dollars short, but I limited my electrical to 12 volt which can be re-charged from my truck so I can boondock indefinitely.

Joseph

I've heard, that your car will only charge your battery to 70%. :roll: :lol:
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Joseph » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:22 pm

asianflava wrote:I've heard, that your car will only charge your battery to 70%.

Well, all I have to go on is a voltage meter and it tells me I'm getting a full charge. I know it's not terribly accurate, but it's close enough as makes no difference. All I have to run are reading lamps, the galley lamp and the vent fan.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby PaulC » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:33 pm

asianflava wrote:
Joseph wrote:Well, I'm several months late and several dollars short, but I limited my electrical to 12 volt which can be re-charged from my truck so I can boondock indefinitely.

Joseph

And where, pray tell, did we hear that? 8)
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby MOKI SEAKER » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:55 pm

Hey Paul, I was reading about an Island off the coast near Perth, and people were talking about Quokkas, what is that ?? tk u Jim G :thinking: :thinking:
If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed.. If you do read the newspaper. You are misinformed.
Mark Twain
MOKI SEAKER
The 300 Club

Postby asianflava » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:22 pm

PaulC wrote:
asianflava wrote:

Joseph

And where, pray tell, did we hear that? 8)
Cheers

I'm glad that someone got that without me having to explain it.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby PaulC » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:43 pm

MOKI SEAKER wrote:Hey Paul, I was reading about an Island off the coast near Perth, and people were talking about Quokkas, what is that ?? tk u Jim G :thinking: :thinking:

Now, let me see, that would be Rottnest Island, the home of the only man eating marsupial near Australia, that is about the size of a domestic cat. :lol:

The Quokka (Setonix brachyurus) is a small macropod, about the size of a large domestic cat. Like other marsupials in the macropod family (such as the kangaroos and wallabies), the Quokka is herbivorous and mainly nocturnal.

In the wild, it is now restricted to a very small range in mainland south-western Western Australia, where it has become rare, and on two cat- and fox-free islands off the coast of that area, Bald Island and Rottnest Island, which are its stronghold. On Rottnest it is common and occupies a wide range of habitats, ranging from semi-arid scrub to cultivated gardens.

The Quokka is the only member of the genus Setonix. It weighs 2.5 to 5 kg and is 40 to 54 cm long with a 25 to 30 cm tail — which is rather short for a macropod. It has a stocky build, rounded ears, and a short, broad head. Although looking rather like a very small, dumpy kangaroo, it can climb small trees and shrubs. Its coarse fur is a grizzled brown colour, fading to buff underneath.
Thanks to wikipedia for that info
Cheers
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets