Got a problem with my trailer wiring on my truck.

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby cracker39 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:00 pm

Andrew, I usually can (and often do) ignore that advice on some items. But, in this case, the part costs as much from an aftermarket dealer as it does from Nissan, so I'll buy from Nissan and have their backing if something doesn't work as it should.

For example, their trailer hitch with wiring harness is over $450 and I''m not sure that includes installation, which takes about 10 minutes. I have the Hidden Hitch that bolted on perfectly for $126 and will spend about $70 for the harness. Savings over buying the hitch from Nissan??? Over $250.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby dahoon » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:07 am

Cracker,

All you need to do is go down to your local auto parts store and get a taillight converter for your import pickup. Shouldn't cost more than $15. These adapters have 3-wires on one side and 2-wires on the other.

I haven't read the year, make, and model of your pickup. But, Hoppy makes a wiring harnesas that is a plug and play unit that plugs into your existing wiring harness, they are so simple. They are a little more spendy, but save a bunch on labor.

The problem lies with the imports have a seperate circuit for turn signals and brake lights, where the domestic vehilces are combined.

Hope tis helps and isn't too late,
Mike
dahoon
Teardrop Master

Postby ARKPAT » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:51 am

I have a 2004 Frontier. I used and aftermarket harness that I got at O'Rileys". I had a problem with blowing the tail light fuse at night ( driving lights and marker lights on at night ). The break lights works fine without the problem with the fuse at all. After the warning ticket one night comming home ( no trailer lights and no truck tail lights ). I replaced the HF trailer light with L.E.D. light from Atwoods new store in town. Problem was solved ( alot less current draw on the circuit??? ). I also replaced all marker lights on the trailers also just incase.

:thumbsup:

:thinking:

8)

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:12 am

Mike, as explained above, I use separate brake and turn signals on my trailers, so I don't need and cannot use that combiner module. What is needed is the wiring harness that plugs into my truck to use it's trailer light system that's built in as the truck turn signal flasher hasn't the capacity to add on more light bulbs. It's intended to have the trailer towing electrics system used with the harness for that purpose so that the truck light wiring doesn't have any additional drain placed on it. Pat above had a similar problem with his 2004. Mine is a 2006 Frontier. I had none of these problems with my 2000 Frontier, which didn't have a separate trailer towing electrics system.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:09 pm

I finally have answers, which I don't like. Like I said before, I’m doomed. This problem is fixable, but not the way I’d like to do it.

The Nissan harnesses, either 7-pin or 4-pin, have the combined brake/turn signals, intended to be used with a single dual element bulb on each side. I installed separate turn signals on my trailer because that’s the way I did it with my other truck for the boat trailer.

Now, I must get into the paneling of the camper to fix the problem. I have two choices. One, wire the amber turn signal to the brake light on each side and use these two wires to the trailer connector. That means when I step on the brake, the amber lights will also come on. When I use the turn signal, I’ll have both a red and amber light flashing.

The other option is to just remove the turn signal lights from the trailer altogether and patch up the holes, and connect the turn signal wires to the brake light bulbs and change to the 4-wire connector on the hitch end, or make an adapter with one of the flat 4 connectors I have in a box.

Bottom line is that this truck must have the wiring harness setup which has more relays to be installed inside the cab behind a kick panel. These relays are crucial to the turn signals working at all. Then, it is wired for the combined brake/TS lights. That’s all the help I got from Nissan.

Next step? Decide on which solution I want to try.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby sid » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:19 pm

Dale,

Is there a way to have the extra light on the trailer on with your running lights rather than taking it out of the trailer? Then use the other light for your brake and turn signal?

sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:12 pm

I can co that Sid. I'm not sure how good an idea it would be though. It might confuse drivers to see both red and amber lights on at the same time. I could just leave them on the trailer and just not use them.

I installed the wiring harness and the three relays behind the kick panel. That was a quick and easy job. The relays are the same three that I have under the hood and I have no idea why they are duplicated, unless the ones under the hood are for the truck signals, and probably are.

After I put the harness in, I tried the original t railer lights on the original socket to see if the new relays would have any effect on them. They worked normally, and I thought this is great...nothing else to have to do to the lights. But, a little while later, I tried the sighals again, that they died like before. So, It's back to working with the trailer lights after I decide how I want to alter them. At least, now, I can use the normal flat 4 plugs on fture trailers. If I ever get one with brakes, I'll have to go back and buy the 7-pin set. The relays will already be in place.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:19 am

I’ve decided on the solution that I want to try, as it is the easiest fix and doesn’t involve making any changes to wiring inside the trailer walls. I’ll wire up an adapter from some of my wiring on the current 6-pin connector on the truck to the flat four wire connector and see how it works.

Since my trailer wiring and connectors have a brake light wire separate from my two turn signal wires, I’ll leave the brake light wire on the truck connector attached to the truck brake light wiring as that works OK. I’ll route the wires for the two turn signals to the new connector.

When the brake pedal is depressed, both amber turn signal lights and the red brake lights will light up. (Brake lights from the truck and amber lights from the flat-4 connector for L anf R brake/turn signals...I can’t stop the amber lights from working with the brake light unless I just disconnect them altogether and run new brake light wires inside the trailer walls.) When I have the brake pedal depressed and one turn signal is operating, both red and amber lights on that side will flash, while both on the other side remain on. But, when I use the turn signals without the brakes, only the amber light will flash. I only hope having the amber lights come on with the brake light doesn’t cause any confusion for other drivers.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby sid » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:24 am

Dale,

How about changing the amber covers to red? Then it might not be confusing. Just a thought........
sid n side

sid
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:33 am

I've certainly given that some thought too. I'm not sure I can buy just the covers. I may have to get the entire light sets. That may be the best solution of all. Two tail lights, but 4 brake/turn lights. I can rewire my light bar for the boat with no problems to just use the two red trailer lights and remove the amber ones.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby sid » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:39 am

The more lights the better. I almost got rear ended in KY a couple weeks ago by someone not paying attention, and probably staring at the teardrop. Double lights would be great. :)
sid n side

sid
Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:53 am

Just go with the stop light and amber turn signal working together....

Nothing wrong with amber light going on/off with brake/turn signal...

Easiest fix, just move wires in plug and keep it simple.... More plugs more problems with more complexity. Violates KISS principle.

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:14 am

I agree with Dale M....you might also be able to replace the amber lens withha red one..................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby cracker39 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:31 pm

ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL!!! :thumbsup:

After 20 miles of driving, visiting 2 Auto Zone and 3 Advanced Auto Parts stores, and $18 poorer, I finally found a pair of red tail light units to match those on the trailer and bought the flat-4 connector I needed. I replaced the amber covers on the Squidget with the red ones off these units.

I wired up my tail lights and both turn signals from the dealer supplied flat-4 connector pigtail to the round 6-wire connector already on the truck, so that the two trailer turn signal lights will work through the trailer relays to flash and brake. I left the brake light wire connected to the truck wiring and my ground wire on the frame, as those worked fine. The original trailer brake lights will work through this separate wire. Should the ground ever go bad, I can switch it to the flat-4 connector ground.

Now, the trailer has four red lights that light up when the brakes are applied, and only one on each side flash for turn or emergency flashers. These are the two that were amber.

I haven't changed the boat trailer light bar, so it still has the brake/flashing amber lights. I'll probably leave them as is. The truck lights can be seen around the boat anyway.

IT ALWAYS HELPS TO HAVE YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND COMMENTS TO HELP COME TO A SUCCESSFUL CONCLUSION...THANKS.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Thread revival, LED replacement, Modulite, ETC.,.

Postby scatto1 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:11 pm

This one seems to fit my issue best. I just picked up a little guy 4wide and my tow vehicle's harness will not work.

Running lights are ok, blinker, and brake lights do not. When I do turn the blinkers on, I can see a faint pulsing of the light.

My current vehicle, Infinity FX 35 runs LED's and I've seen a couple places that replacing the incandcent blubs with LED's may fix my problem I've had others say I need the Modulite converter.

Any adivce from the wise on here?

Thanks again for all of your help!
scatto1
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets