FAQ:Solar Panel without the Technical Stuff

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby bdosborn » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:07 pm

emiller wrote::thumbsup:
Right on Bruce good stuff. I mounted my solar panel on a aluminumn pole so to point to the sun always. Works good just that the pole is 7' long so it won't fit in a car.

Ed,

I was eyeing your setup at the IRG and liked it a lot. It doesn't get any easier to track the sun than the system you've got. I even took a picture of it:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby NightCap » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:26 pm

Looks like I need a bigger panel. I have a cheap 5 watt. If anyone finds a good price let me know.
#1 - 100% Done #2 - 100% Done Thinking about #3
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:34 pm

NightCap wrote:Looks like I need a bigger panel. I have a cheap 5 watt. If anyone finds a good price let me know.

...have you thought to look in the links located in the solar section 'bout as good as you can find for serious use...or search ebay...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby NightCap » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:47 pm

a lot of good info there. I have seen some of it but not even close to all. It is going to take me a while. Thanks.
#1 - 100% Done #2 - 100% Done Thinking about #3
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Today's price on eBay, $209 for an 85w Solar Panel with free shipping. That's $2.46 per watt. Is this a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOLAR-PANEL-85-WATT ... 898wt_1139

:thinking:

Knowing the eBay add will pass, here's an image of the ad.

God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:29 pm

That's a pretty darn good price. I bought an 85 watt panel from UL solar at that price a year ago but I had to pay shipping. I have the TL version that is only 20" wide, it was the only panel that would fit in the space I had on the roof.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby camptyler » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:31 pm

Bruce,
The deal on fleabay that Cliff posted for the solar panels is from a company I have never heard of (but what do I know about solar panel companies). Are you happy with your panel? Any Issues? Is UL-Solar a reputable company, I see they offer a 25 year warranty. It looks like they offer the same deal on their website.
Thanks,
Tyler
camptyler
Teardrop Builder

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:48 am

Interesting site! They also have "Off the Grid" kits!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby camptyler » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:01 am

And their prices seem to be some of the best around. After looking around they seem to be a reputable company. We may not have any fresh water in Southern California but sun there is no shortage of. Hello solar for the new teardrop. :D
camptyler
Teardrop Builder

Postby bdosborn » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:37 pm

camptyler wrote:Bruce,
The deal on fleabay that Cliff posted for the solar panels is from a company I have never heard of (but what do I know about solar panel companies). Are you happy with your panel? Any Issues? Is UL-Solar a reputable company, I see they offer a 25 year warranty. It looks like they offer the same deal on their website.
Thanks,
Tyler

My panel's not bad; its not quite up to the quality of my Kyocera but its not far behind. The output is about where you would expect it to be from the specs. The panels are made in China of course and that's why they're cheaper. I would buy from UL again. I bought another 30 watt panel from LAVIESOLAR (serpentlion2008) to add to the previous 30 watt panel I bought about 6 months ago. I'm making a folding 60 watt panel with them. LAVIE has defiantly come down in quality from the first to the second panel, I won't be buying anything more from them.

I don't like the package deals from UL, they're expensive for what you get. I'd just get the PV panel from UL and buy a better known solar controller (like a Morningstar SS-6) elsewhere. I haven't been able to find any good deals on solar controllers lately on eBay, I'd use Google Shopping to find the best deal. I really like the customer service from these guys: http://www.solar-electric.com/. I've canceled orders and gotten new items to replace damaged ones without any problems what so ever. They're a little more expensive on some stuff but they really stand behind their products.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:23 pm

I checked out the 80 and 85 watt panels. I'm concerned my controller connector won't work. The controller and my current 15 watt panel are Sunforce and found at:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-50032-So ... B0006JO0X8

You can see the male/female two prong connectors. I also have the 7 amp Sunforce controller (good to 100 watts).

The UL Solar panels have the MC4 connectors. I'm not sure how to marry these two together.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:42 pm

Get an MC4 pigtail and cut it in half. Then you can splice the generic connector for your Sunforce to the MC4 connectors. You don't want to cut the MC4 connectors off the panel as that will void your warranty.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby camptyler » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:08 pm

Good to know,
I probably would have just cut off the MC4 connection to make it work.
camptyler
Teardrop Builder

Re: FAQ:Solar Panel without the Technical Stuff

Postby PcHistorian » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:26 pm

because this topic said "SOLAR" I wanted to post this web link for the information of those following the topic.
FYI: Solar power AND water heating in one unit, is MORE efficient and gives a greater output in electricity.

http://www.nakedenergy.co.uk/
Elf Cottage

Build Documentary
https://sites.google.com/site/pchistorian/home/hobby/camping/elf-build
Build Forum
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=48462
Build Album
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=42

progress is progress. (don't look a gift "progress" in the mouth.)
PcHistorian
The 300 Club

Re: FAQ:Solar Panel without the Technical Stuff

Postby Junkboy999 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:30 pm

How about this. Simple Cheap lights

This is a No Hassle solar power lighting. I have one of these on my Little woody. I did not trust the electrical
work the previous owner did, wires were falling out of the splices ever where.

This system I got at Harbor freight tools for $59. I have seen them for $49. It is a 3.9 watt solar panel, a
battery box with a handle, and two led lights. The lights are not spotlights, they are more diffused for area
lights. It’s enough light need for accessing your galley or inside your TD. The lights only have 6 led’s in each
light. The cords are long enough to reach the length of your tear.

Northern tools has one listed for $159 from Natural Powers. A product review on Youtube, by just some guy,
stated NP setup had 12 leds, and northern tools list there as a lot heavier. Probably a bigger battery in that one.
This system would be great if you have kid in a tent, a TD with power hookups, or need a portable light for a picnic
table with out messing around with fuel. Only draw back from this system is no mounting system for the lights.
They only hang by their cord. They do come with small clips that attach to the wires.

Heres a few pictures. The system

Panel on the camper

The mount I made. The mount folds up flat to the back of the panel.

Next the light over the galley

light hanging 3 feet away from the galley on corner of the hatch.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets