FAQ:Solar Panel without the Technical Stuff

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: FAQ:Solar Panel without the Technical Stuff

Postby John61CT » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:12 am

The only inexpensive battery banks are lead-acid, and lighter weight means lower capacity and/or won't last as long.

You should install your bank in place and never need to pick it up and carry it around.

If you can spend 7-10 times more, lithium can save weight but will not have the same capacity, still too heavy to easily cart around without a dolly.

The first step is to make a list of the devices you plan to power, along with a guess of how many hours per day.
John61CT
500 Club

Re: FAQ:Solar Panel without the Technical Stuff

Postby CaleyAnn » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:06 pm

John, Yeah, I figured I have to figure out what my nightly draw is going to be. Unfortunately for most of the electrical things I wish to purchase on Amazon, they do not seem to list power draw in amps or watts. Need one of those to figure things out. Will have to try to find a webpage that provides general power draw for various things, and just use that. I figure the stuff I purchase will actually draw less than average, as I am keeping size down.

People keep telling me to make sure I keep weight forward to a certain degree. In other words, I have to be aware of my trailer balance. From what I have seen, most builders put a box across the towing bar framework, and install their batteries and solar panel controller inside, then run the power wire from the batteries to the switch system inside. CaleyAnn
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets