I want to thank bdosborn....

Anything electric, AC or DC

I want to thank bdosborn....

Postby Micro469 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:48 pm

for his very informative post. I knew I was doing something wrong when I ran 400' of 14G in a small tear. I looked up a couple of electrical diagrams and decided to redo my wiring. I now have 10G running from the front of the tear to the galley for battery leads, 12G for the fans, and 14G for the lights, and 12G for the 12V outlets. I still managed to use about 250' of wire tho. I ran my wire about a foot from the side across the roof on the left side and then for some stupid reason drilled a hole down the right side to go into the galley, and then drag the wires back to the left side to mount the fuse panel. Brain Dead? You might say so... I corrected this by drilling a hole on the left side and coming straight down to where I'm mounting the fuse panel. I'm going to be cutting a lot of extra cable off!!
:lol:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bdosborn » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:08 pm

John,

You're welcome. Better post some pictures of your wiring so MJ doesn't feel bad. :lol:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:46 pm

JEEZE, you took so long to reply I thought you thought I was dissing you... I wasn't.... I really found your post informative............................ :lol:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:31 pm

Gosh, I'm not that touchy am I? :lol: :lol:

Sorry for the delay, I was going to come up with something witty and funny to say. But I couldn't think of anything. :oops:
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby kayakrguy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:13 am

John,

I happened upon this thread in reading up on electrical stuff...John, what is your original note referring to whan it mentions '...in trouble when I ran 400' of 14 ga wire in a small T'? While I find 400 ft a bit much, depending on how you equipped your T located your power supplies etc...it could be perfectly reasonable...('course, why you would want a radar range finder, automatic gun firing mechanism etc puzzles me :lol: )

For example, if I put my vent fan on its own circuit I would use 28' of wire, round trip, just for the fan. So, wire can add up quickly even without the radar ;)

So, I'm not clear what your post was referring to....??

Thanks,

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby JerryMae » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:18 pm

Jim your reply really caught my eye. Do you have a source for the radar range finder, automatic gun control station, etc. Is this something that could be used from the tow vehicle as you are going down the highway, rush hour can be a bear around here and one never knows when something like this could come in handy on vacation start. Is it possible to do wireless control that way at the campground you could be sitting at the campfire and the people next to you, well I think you get the picture. How about a diagram. :twisted: Well before everybody get all excited I am just kidding as well as I know Jim was kidding. I think that building a tear or anything is a learning experience and down right fun, besides we all need a hobby don't we. So far I am not near starting my tear but I will at some point and watch out causes I got a digital camera cause I know everybody loves the pictures.
JerryMae
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:34 pm

JerryMae wrote:.... I am just kidding.....

Why?? I have been considering mounting a .50 on my roof on a turret,
might just wake up some of the sleepers!! Remote control would be pretty cool!!8) 8) 8) 8)
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:22 pm

JerryMae wrote:Do you have a source for the radar range finder, automatic gun control station, etc.

You people are just sick. Think of the humanity! Think of the children! What a waste.

A paintball gun is all you need.
:angel:
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:58 pm

kayakrguy wrote:John,

I happened upon this thread in reading up on electrical stuff...John, what is your original note referring to whan it mentions '...in trouble when I ran 400' of 14 ga wire in a small T'? While I find 400 ft a bit much, depending on how you equipped your T located your power supplies etc...it could be perfectly reasonable...('course, why you would want a radar range finder, automatic gun firing mechanism etc puzzles me :lol: )

For example, if I put my vent fan on its own circuit I would use 28' of wire, round trip, just for the fan. So, wire can add up quickly even without the radar ;)

So, I'm not clear what your post was referring to....??

Thanks,

Jim

Jim, I didn't say I was "in trouble", I said I was doing something wrong... Looking at other peoples' wiring, I came to the conclusion that I was overwiring the tear. By combining ground wires for lights on the same circuit, for example, I managed to cut down on the number of runs. By rerouting the cables, i managed to shorten the runs..... Basically just neatened up the elec system....

;)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Electrical Secrets