Converter Question.

Anything electric, AC or DC

Converter Question.

Postby NightCap » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:49 pm

How can I use my 12 volt converter to charge my battery safely? My battery charger from harbor freight is making a bad bad noise now. I have a really good converter that could charge the battery pretty good if I can do it without blowing up my battery. Is there an inexpensive way to protect the battery from overcharging?
#1 - 100% Done #2 - 100% Done Thinking about #3
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Converter Question.

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:55 pm

NightCap wrote:How can I use my 12 volt converter to charge my battery safely? My battery charger from harbor freight is making a bad bad noise now. I have a really good converter that could charge the battery pretty good if I can do it without blowing up my battery. Is there an inexpensive way to protect the battery from overcharging?

Nightcap, I'm not really understanding how you could charge your battery with a converter but a good way to charge without over charging is to use one of these.There is also a 5 amp model if you prefer it. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby madjack » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:20 pm

NC, if you have a "really good" converter, then it is designed to charge your battery without blowing it up..... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: Converter Question.

Postby NightCap » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:08 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:
NightCap wrote:How can I use my 12 volt converter to charge my battery safely? My battery charger from harbor freight is making a bad bad noise now. I have a really good converter that could charge the battery pretty good if I can do it without blowing up my battery. Is there an inexpensive way to protect the battery from overcharging?

Nightcap, I'm not really understanding how you could charge your battery with a converter but a good way to charge without over charging is to use one of these.There is also a 5 amp model if you prefer it. :) Danny

Thanks for your responses. I was hoping I didn't need to buy another charger but I am not too sure about pumping 13v into the battery full time with my converter. That Battery tender looks like a quality version of the piece of crap I got from harbor frieght. I'll have to get one. Thanks again.
#1 - 100% Done #2 - 100% Done Thinking about #3
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets