To TV or not to TV?

Anything electric, AC or DC

To TV or not to TV?

Postby Tripmaker » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:07 am

No this isn't what you think it might be. I'm not considering an operation. But I am trying to decide if I should put a TV in my TD. Menard's has one of those undecounter LCD TV's on sale for $86.00. I'm thinking now's the time to install it while I'm still under construction. But then I think when would I watch it? Do those of you who have TV installed use it much? My camping experiences have all revolved sitting at a campfire, eating, drinking, and BS'ing, till I crash.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Gerdo » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:09 am

I have a shelf that I use my laptop and watch movies.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:13 am

We have one in ours. We use it to watch the news and weather before bed. It also comes in real handy if it rains.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Joseph » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:10 am

I don't do TV much at home and I absolutely do NOT do it when camping. The sounds of nature are part of why I camp. Give me birdsong, the call of wild geese, coyotes howling, bullfrogs garrumphing, crickets chirping - even the sound of rain pouring down on the roof. But what to do if the latter keeps me confined to the teardrop? Books. Reading expands the mind. TV numbs it.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Dale M. » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:05 pm

Like Gerdo.... IF you want a entertainment system for TD, I would also consider a lap top computer....

IT can be a Movie Player (DVD)...

TV screen (with tuner card)...

A CD player or "stored" music player...

With Wireless interconnect (WIFI) communications to relative about trips (e-mail)... OR search out local points of interest or whatever....

Also mass storage for video and still pictures from camera(s)..

Pretty universal "system" if you are inclined to want a entertainment system in TD...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

tv

Postby CPASPARKS » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:20 pm

Most places that I camp....can't get reception without some type of external antenna.

Too much "stuff" is why switched to the minimalist approach of teardrop camping.

I would leave the tv for when I am home. Just my $.02 worth.
Kevin
CPASPARKS
The 300 Club

Re: To TV or not to TV?

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:57 pm

Tripmaker wrote:Do those of you who have TV installed use it much? My camping experiences have all revolved sitting at a campfire, eating, drinking, and BS'ing, till I crash.

Jim, remember mine, it has a DVD hooked up so I can take in a movie if I want to.
I generally use mine if there is a rainy day or a "super scorcher" so I can get away from the elements and maybe catch a few winks too.
My time camping is a lot like you described but when it's not favorable to stay outside, I go inside for entertainment.

Installation now will be better than later. BTW, good price on the TV. I picked one on Friday for $79.95. I might put it in the galley to replace the 5" B&W cheapie that I have now.
The TV comes in handy for local weather too. I say "Go for it!!" :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:01 pm

Sams has a flat panel DVD/TV combo that I have my eyes on. I don't typically watch TV when camping, but Chell does. I think it's a 15" DVD/TV and it's about $298 or so... Best Buy has the same thing for $449. :?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bdosborn » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:28 pm

I have a DVD player with a TV tuner on a little pull out shelf like Gerdo.
The DVD player has an AV input so I added a TV tuner and a preamp to switch the audio from the DVD player to the TV tuner:
Then I added a satellite dish because we never had TV reception when we were boondocking. I also have a connection so I can plug into cable TV if we're at a campground that has it. What I've found is that when we're camping I don't set up the satellite anymore, we're usually doing other things. The next trailer will have a bigger DVD player and a TV tuner but no satellite. I like to watch DVDs so I use it every night.
Here's the next DVD player I just picked up off of Ebay:
I picked up a roofmount so I wouldn't have to set it up and put it away at night to sleep. We knocked the player off the shelf one night. But one fun thing about portable player is to set it up on the galley shelf, its like being at the drive inn. So for us, DVD, CD and MP3 are important, TV is optional.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:10 pm

We have a Sylvania 15" LCD TV/DVD and only watch movies and old TV westerns etc on DVD. This summer we didn't watch it at all when camping but the Spring Fling it rained constantly and we were able to watch 2 movies. It's all about options if you want them then get something to entertain your self, read a book or stare at the ceiling while planning your next TD. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Arne » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:05 pm

On a recent trip, where I spent 4 days helping with a sheep dog trial in VA, I watched tv during the afternoon on the last day after everone had left. I wanted to give my body a rest after 3 days of rain and wind, and my host a rest from me..... Turned out to be a short rest, as he came looking for me to show me a 1 hour old calf...... but at least he had the option..

I also watch tv for a 1/2 hour or so before falling asleep... I want to be spoon-fed brainless entertainment after what is usually a full day of activity. I bring tapes with me from home if there is no tv reception....

I know some people read, but that requires thinking, and my camping trips are usually packed with driving or activity and just want to slow down... tv fits the bill
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Re: To TV or not to TV?

Postby kirtsjc » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:12 pm

Tripmaker wrote:No this isn't what you think it might be. I'm not considering an operation.

:o Man, don't scare us like that! One could expect Ira to be outrageous, but....

Tripmaker wrote: But I am trying to decide if I should put a TV in my TD.

I myself am planning on a shelf area for a laptop. Mine has all I would need for surfing (if the campground is wired or WIFI), the DVD for movies (at night or whilst experiencing bad weather), and showing off my pictures with a slideshow program. Also, all my T&TTT stuff is on this machine, so should someone mention and want to see, oh, the Generic Benroy Plans, I have them with me.

That-a-way, I don't have to worry about taking out a TV or DVD player, taking it home, forgetting to load it back up on the next trip...

Just a suggestion on my behalf, others have replied with very good, logical and valid reasons pro & con.

John
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Postby Outlaw » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:42 pm

Since my SVC 2000 dosen't have any cabinet space at our feet, I'll be adding some sort of storage/entertainment system. I'm seriously considering going the laptop route.
Eric
ImageImageImage
Outlaw
Donating Member

Postby Tripmaker » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:30 am

Thank's for the thoughts everyone. I think I'll go with the KISS plan and just enjoy camping. If I want something later I'll get a portable DVD player. I think I will put in a coax from the cabin to the outside in case I want to hook up a TV later. I already have 12V & 110 outlets in place. My wife reminded me of an old fasioned option for entertainement. Books.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Phil & Ningning » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:20 pm

Joseph wrote:Reading expands the mind. TV numbs it.

Joseph

LSD does both. :shock:
Phil & Ningning
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets