Control turn signals w/o a new flasher.

Anything electric, AC or DC

Control turn signals w/o a new flasher.

Postby Ralph1931 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:20 pm

My tow rig for the TTT is a 1998 BMW Z3. It is a small car but is great to travel with as long as there are no more than two persons. Good mileage too.

BMW sort of frowns on modifications and do-it-yourselfers. Because of that, finding an adapter to control the trailer lights was impossible not to mention finding an electronic flasher to carry the extra load.

To make the car and trailer compatable without these special items was not so difficult. I created a relay bank from used 12 volt normally open single throw relays. Junk cars are full of them. At first I was going to use relays only for the left and right turn signals but decided to incorporate relays into all the running light circuits which would not increase the load (measureable load) on any of the car circuits.
George (Ralph1931)

Create a bank of 4 or even 5 relays. Provide a good 12V positive supply to all the normally off ( the swinging ones) contacts protected by a 20 amp circuit breaker. Provide a ground to all of the relay coils. On the positive side of each coil, pigtail a signal wire from the tow vehicle harness. (a wire from stop (1), tail (2), left turn (3), right turn (4) and if you wish, from the back up lights (5)). Then from each stationary contact, connect a wire to the correct trailer harness plug. I added amber lamps to each side of the trailer for the turn signals.You could use red if preferred. This relay configuration does not work with combination stop and turn signal in the same filiment. Most later model vehicles do not use the combination signals anymore. My tear is wired this way and the little BMW doesn't even know it is operating those extra lights.
[img]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=15852[img
Ralph
Ralph1931
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:04 am

George, that is an interesting/innovative solution to a real problem...ingenuity is a grand thing :thumbsup: ...I'am still grinning at the thought of you and your "topless" Z3, cruisin' with the TTT, around the country......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Tripmaker » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:28 pm

Hmmmmm :thinking: Maybe I could pull my TD with my Miata.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Pull with a Miata

Postby Ralph1931 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:35 pm

Maybe so. Bes guess is they are about the same size, weight and power.
Ralph.... :thumbsup:
Ralph
Ralph1931
Donating Member

Re: Pull with a Miata

Postby Tripmaker » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:46 pm

Ralph1931 wrote:Maybe so. Bes guess is they are about the same size, weight and power.
Ralph.... :thumbsup:

If you have the six you have a bit more power than I do. I don't think either one would be much fun to drive with a TD behind it though. We had an unusually warm weekend that allowed for some top down driving, probabally the last till next spring.
Jim

Tripmaker
500 Club

Miata vs BMW Z3

Postby Ralph1931 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:56 pm

My car has the 1.99 four cyl engine. The smallest. I pulled my TTT over 7,500 miles on the maiden trip. Had not a problem. Got a whopping 27.15 Miles per gal for the entire trip. Don't shortchange your Miata unless your trailer is too heavy. Mine was 1,190 pounds wit 160 pounds on the tounge.
Ralph
Ralph
Ralph1931
Donating Member

Postby Tripmaker » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:30 am

I'm not short changing the Miata. It's my baby and it gets babied. I had a 99 and traded it this spring for a new 2006. It is one sweet car. I couldn't bring myself to put a hitch on it although there are people that have. I didn't even drive the other one in bad weather and I won't this one won't either. Like I said I baby it.
Jim

Tripmaker
500 Club

Tow vehicle

Postby Creamcracker » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:35 am

I intend pulling the teardrop (once finished) behind my 1975 MGB, and also my 2003 Mini Cooper -- not at the same time of course! :lol:
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Re: Tow vehicle

Postby Ralph1931 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:23 pm

Creamcracker wrote:I intend pulling the teardrop (once finished) behind my 1975 MGB, and also my 2003 Mini Cooper -- not at the same time of course! :lol:

You WILL be in style, at least in my book you will. You are the second closest TTT person to me up to now. My map says you are 127 miles to Culpeper. That is a pleasant joy ride away. We have to get together some nice day and swap tall tales and lies.
I assume by your only album photo, you are in the process... I just built mine from scratch this past March thru May. It turned out well. If I can offer any help or encouragement I would be willing to.
Ralph
Ralph
Ralph1931
Donating Member

Postby Creamcracker » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:19 am

Thanks Ralph -- yeah I hope to be able to pick the brains of you guys! Especially when it comes to the electrical which I intend to keep simple as possible!
Philip
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Return to Electrical Secrets