Tow Vehicle Wiring

Anything electric, AC or DC

Tow Vehicle Wiring

Postby Creamcracker » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:21 am

During the build I am going to use my Geo Tracker as a tow mule. Initially to use the chassis to run and pick up the wood needed etc. I am going to put a tow hitch on that (the Tracker) myself since it looks very easy. My question is --- how easy will it be for me to install the necessary wiring kit in the Tracker in order to work lights etc on the trailer. I know there's a kit out there for the Geo but is it a do-it-yourself job for a novice when it comes to electrics?
Thanks in advance Philip
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby Tripmaker » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:18 am

The kit that is available may simply plug in if the Tracker is set up for it. Otherwise it is a simple matter of spliceing into the tail and turn signal wires on the vehicle to attach the wireing harness. If you have a power tester with a pin you can push throught the wire insulation it will make it easier to identify the correct wires. Just clip the ground lead to metal on the vehicle and then turn on a turn signal and start pokeing with the probe till the tester blinks.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Dale M. » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:39 am

Go to some of the trailer suppliers on Internet that specialize in trailer hitches and whatnots.... Search for wiring harnesses... if the is a "factory" harness, it may be just a simple plug in....

IF you have to make up harness, its not complicated... Three things to keep in mind... Identify correct wire to tap into, make good mechanical connection and insulate well ....

GO to this site....

http://www.draw-tite.com/

Search out part number: 18372

Here is instruction manual....

http://www.draw-tite.com/fitguides/pdf/N18372.pdf

It may help you decide that you can handle installation...

Undoubtedly there may be more sources, this is just one that I found....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Leon » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:40 pm

On the tracker they don't recommend just splicing into the existing wires. The wire going back is very thin and not designed for the extra draw. They did run wires back to the left rear that provide a separate power that is designed to feed relays. The relays then feed the trailer. It is easy to wire up, and the relays can be configured to provide a stop/turn on one bulb instead of the separate bulbs like on the car. Somewhere I have a diagram from my tracker, I'll try to find it if you want it.
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Many thanks

Postby Creamcracker » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:18 pm

For the info - I'll take a good look at it all later tonight. My Tracker is a 1995 so I just thought from what's already posted I should look in my Haynes manual.
Philip
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Return to Electrical Secrets